Do typos and bad grammar bug you as a reader?

Do typos and bad grammer bug you as a reader?

• Yes, always

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • No, never

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Spillthebeans

Registered
Reaction score
This question isn't specifically about writing so hopefully it belongs here.
With the rise of the Internet, it seems like everyone and their pet is putting up content for the world to see. Since, like a lot of people, I have limited time, I try to filter out much of what's out there. If I read a blog or article on-line and it's filled with spelling mistakes and bad grammar or AOL-speak, I usually don't finish reading. For forums or e-mails, I'm a little more forgiving since they are usually shorter.
So do other people have little patience for badly written material? Do you stay away from badly written blogs? Do you stop reading forem threds if tehy bceome a typo?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
This question isn't specifically about writing so hopefully it belongs here.
With the rise of the Internet, it seems like everyone and their pet is putting up content for the world to see. Since, like a lot of people, (The comma is unnecesary since you already have included yourself in the inference) I have limited time, and so (conjunction) I try to filter out much of what's out there. If I read a blog or article on-line and it's filled with spelling mistakes and bad grammar or AOL-speak, I usually don't finish reading. For (Never start with a preposition) forums or e-mails, I'm a little more forgiving since they are usually shorter.
So do other people have little patience for badly written material? Do you stay away from badly written blogs? Do you stop reading forem forum threds threads if tehy they bceome become a typo?
I so agree.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I was a proofreader for 10 years. I can tolerate a typo in the heat of a real-time exchange of thoughts. But not in a (presumedly) edited publication. I am at once annoyed and amused by typos, especially in a book for which I've just paid $10

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
P.S. Welcome to Absolute Write. We can speel and cheet at kards. Enjoy yous stay.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
since it seemed you weren't referencing any kind of literary, systematic deviations, i put always, meaning i always notice (if the infraction is obvious enough for my degree of interest) and am a little jarred. if they are legion, i stop reading.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a poet. I just got paid to correct other people's mistakes for a few years.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never claimed to be perfect in my own, but I do notice.

It usually doesn't bother me here, or in quick emails.

It does bother me in the newspaper, magazines, and business correspondence. It even bothers me on our internal database. Our sales reps make notes on the contacts, leads and clients in the database. If I am in the database making updates or adding notes and notice a typo or error I correct it, even though there are only a few people in my office.

We once received a letter from a local school seeking donations. It was so bad I wanted to correct it and send it back asking them how they expected us to support them if the teachers weren't even educated enough to write a letter. I showed it to my boss, and she tore it up before I could.

Now I am paranoid Spooky or someone else will come along and find errors in this post. :D

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately it doesn't really bother me b/c I'm not good with grammar or punctuation. I am pretty good at spelling though. Thank god.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
In forums, unless it's constant, I usually assume they're just typos. I'm way more critical of my own posting though. Today I noticed a subject and verb that do not agree in one of my recent posts, and it's taking all my willpower not to go back and edit.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure I did. But what about the rest. :D

That's why 99% of Spooky's replies in forums are cryptic oneliners. He fears the red pen he himself wields.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
In a forum I don't really bother (although I did laugh once on another forum, where someone told me my work was badly edited and ranted on about the terrors of badly edited prose, and spelled 'edited' wrong every time).

In published books it tends to jar me but it really bugs me at work for some reason when I see it in scripts.

Reaction score
Yes, always. It's a sign of lazy editing.

In forum posts...well, I don't like them but they're tolerable, unless they come from someone who consistently spells words incorrectly and murders the English language. We all post typos at times, but if it's constant, it looks lazy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, error-studded material is indefensible in print. Online, it depends on the context.

A place like IMDb's message boards, for instance, has people from all over the world posting about movies and more. I can forgive grievous errors made by someone for whom English is a second language. However, on its board for screenwriters, I'm far less forgiving. If you want to write for a living, you need to learn the basic mechanics.

I'm occasionally wryly amused by someone who is or claims to be a professional writer yet blogs or write summaries for their work at Amazon which are riddled with blatant mistakes. In between the lines, I read vanity press. I do not hesitate to announce that they paid to publish when they come to a forum pretending to have discovered their own brilliant book. (They could at least choose a user name totally unlike the author's name, for cryin' out loud.)

Maryn, stopping before she spins into full-out rant

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Sometimes in forums one has to look past the spelling and grammar and see the content.

An edited book is a different thing altogether, and that does irritate me, even though I am aware that errors will invariably slip through.

Last edited: