PDA

View Full Version : Do typos and bad grammar bug you as a reader?

Spillthebeans
12-03-2007, 08:00 AM
This question isn't specifically about writing so hopefully it belongs here.
With the rise of the Internet, it seems like everyone and their pet is putting up content for the world to see. Since, like a lot of people, I have limited time, I try to filter out much of what's out there. If I read a blog or article on-line and it's filled with spelling mistakes and bad grammar or AOL-speak, I usually don't finish reading. For forums or e-mails, I'm a little more forgiving since they are usually shorter.
So do other people have little patience for badly written material? Do you stay away from badly written blogs? Do you stop reading forem threds if tehy bceome a typo?

SpookyWriter
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
This question isn't specifically about writing so hopefully it belongs here.
With the rise of the Internet, it seems like everyone and their pet is putting up content for the world to see. Since, like a lot of people, (The comma is unnecesary since you already have included yourself in the inference) I have limited time, and so (conjunction) I try to filter out much of what's out there. If I read a blog or article on-line and it's filled with spelling mistakes and bad grammar or AOL-speak, I usually don't finish reading. For (Never start with a preposition) forums or e-mails, I'm a little more forgiving since they are usually shorter.
So do other people have little patience for badly written material? Do you stay away from badly written blogs? Do you stop reading forem forum threds threads if tehy they bceome become a typo?I so agree.

Magdalen
12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I was a proofreader for 10 years. I can tolerate a typo in the heat of a real-time exchange of thoughts. But not in a (presumedly) edited publication. I am at once annoyed and amused by typos, especially in a book for which I've just paid $10

Spillthebeans
12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I so agree.
didn't you get the joke at the end? but thanks for the corrections.

SpookyWriter
12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
didn't you get the joke at the end? but thanks for the corrections.Sure I did. But what about the rest. :D

Spillthebeans
12-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Sure I did. But what about the rest. :D
eh, forum.

SpookyWriter
12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah, you keep telling 'em about does forems. Yuk yuk yik.

SpookyWriter
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
P.S. Welcome to Absolute Write. We can speel and cheet at kards. Enjoy yous stay.

joetrain
12-03-2007, 08:26 AM
since it seemed you weren't referencing any kind of literary, systematic deviations, i put always, meaning i always notice (if the infraction is obvious enough for my degree of interest) and am a little jarred. if they are legion, i stop reading.

SpookyWriter
12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Now you're a poet?

Magdalen
12-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I've always been a poet. I just got paid to correct other people's mistakes for a few years.

sassandgroove
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I have never claimed to be perfect in my own, but I do notice.

It usually doesn't bother me here, or in quick emails.

It does bother me in the newspaper, magazines, and business correspondence. It even bothers me on our internal database. Our sales reps make notes on the contacts, leads and clients in the database. If I am in the database making updates or adding notes and notice a typo or error I correct it, even though there are only a few people in my office.

We once received a letter from a local school seeking donations. It was so bad I wanted to correct it and send it back asking them how they expected us to support them if the teachers weren't even educated enough to write a letter. I showed it to my boss, and she tore it up before I could.

Now I am paranoid Spooky or someone else will come along and find errors in this post. :D

RLB
12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Last edited by joetrain : Today at 10:34 PM. Reason: since it's a grammatical error thread and all

:tongue

MonaLeigh
12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't really bother me b/c I'm not good with grammar or punctuation. I am pretty good at spelling though. Thank god.

RLB
12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
In forums, unless it's constant, I usually assume they're just typos. I'm way more critical of my own posting though. Today I noticed a subject and verb that do not agree in one of my recent posts, and it's taking all my willpower not to go back and edit.

joetrain
12-03-2007, 09:18 AM
:tongue

damn zealots.

Backward Masking
12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
damn zealots.

Damn zealots.

joetrain
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
any kind of literary, systematic deviations,

with these i freely belabor readers.

here at least.

joetrain
12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
zealot

Voyager
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Sure I did. But what about the rest. :D

That's why 99% of Spooky's replies in forums are cryptic oneliners. He fears the red pen he himself wields.

Zelenka
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
In a forum I don't really bother (although I did laugh once on another forum, where someone told me my work was badly edited and ranted on about the terrors of badly edited prose, and spelled 'edited' wrong every time).

In published books it tends to jar me but it really bugs me at work for some reason when I see it in scripts.

scarletpeaches
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, always. It's a sign of lazy editing.

In forum posts...well, I don't like them but they're tolerable, unless they come from someone who consistently spells words incorrectly and murders the English language. We all post typos at times, but if it's constant, it looks lazy.

Maryn
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
For me, error-studded material is indefensible in print. Online, it depends on the context.

A place like IMDb's message boards, for instance, has people from all over the world posting about movies and more. I can forgive grievous errors made by someone for whom English is a second language. However, on its board for screenwriters, I'm far less forgiving. If you want to write for a living, you need to learn the basic mechanics.

I'm occasionally wryly amused by someone who is or claims to be a professional writer yet blogs or write summaries for their work at Amazon which are riddled with blatant mistakes. In between the lines, I read vanity press. I do not hesitate to announce that they paid to publish when they come to a forum pretending to have discovered their own brilliant book. (They could at least choose a user name totally unlike the author's name, for cryin' out loud.)

Maryn, stopping before she spins into full-out rant

The_Grand_Duchess
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I call people on it in writing forums. If a blog is too filled with errors then I'll stop reading it. It amuses me when I catch a few in books.

Nakhlasmoke
12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Sometimes in forums one has to look past the spelling and grammar and see the content.

An edited book is a different thing altogether, and that does irritate me, even though I am aware that errors will invariably slip through.

The Grift
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Despite my own questionable grammar, spelling, and punctuation, it bothers me considerably. If I see errors that are obviously more than typos, I am instantly skeptical of whatever point that person is trying to make. Even though proper written English often has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand, I subconsciously equate mastery of one with mastery of the other. Unfair, untrue, and unfounded, but a fact of life.

WendyNYC
12-03-2007, 08:30 PM
In WIPs, posts and email--no, it doesn't bother me. In published material or office memos that go to clients--yes.

sassandgroove
12-03-2007, 09:05 PM
I think Aw has spoiled me. Yes, we have typos and aren't perfect, but for the most part our posts are readable. The few times I have ventured to forums for other subjects, I am amazed at the posters lack of ability to form sentences. And I hate it when they use smilies as a crutch and have run-on sentences and sentence fragments. Or when they don't know the diffrence between your and you're or they're, their and there.

benbradley
12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
As far as typo's and even misspellings, the 'further along' the chain to publication, the more (unpleasantly) surprised I am. I'm tempted to judge bad grammar more harshly, but regardless of the type of mistake, the 'further along' the process toward being published, the more harshly I'll judge, because there are more people invlolved who should be more knowledgable and experience with catching and correcting such things.

Blogs are a special case. Since they're publicly readable and menant to be so, I consider a blog "published," yet the original author, editor and publisher are all the same person.

Of course, I've known talented (in areas other than writing) people, one of them with a 7+ digit net worth, who couldn't spell worth a damn. It's always tempting to judge people on their abilities that we can see and 'measure', but a lack of ability in one area doesn't neccesarily preclude ability in another area.

JLCwrites
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I notice, but I am horrible at spelling so I don't feel like I can comment on people who make writing mistakes. Content is more important to me.