Help Regarding Women in Refrigerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
OK. A little bit of controversy has erupted on my blog. Specifically, which Green Lantern's girlfriend dying inspired the site. Although Wikipedia says that it's Alex DeWitt's death by Major Force in 1999, but for some reason I remember the site being around before that, and, in fact, being inspired by Katma Tui's death at the hands of Star Sapphire.

Anyone know how long the site (WiR) has been around? Or evidence which GLGF started it all? Danke!

FR

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Only slightly related to OP: Once, in summer during highschool, I spent the weekend at a friend's parent's summer house. We experimented with a portable tape deck and microphone. One experiment was to put the mic in the frig, close the door, and then scream for help (all three of us) from the outside. The result was quite realistic!

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
OK. A little bit of controversy has erupted on my blog. Specifically, which Green Lantern's girlfriend dying inspired the site. Although Wikipedia says that it's Alex DeWitt's death by Major Force in 1999, but for some reason I remember the site being around before that, and, in fact, being inspired by Katma Tui's death at the hands of Star Sapphire.

Katma Tui died in the 1980s, in an issue of Action Comics Weekly.

Alex Dewitt was killed in 1994, as I recall. I remember talking to Darryl Banks about it while he actually drew the sequence.

The WIR site was started in 1999, nearly ten years after the death of poor Katma...and since her body wasn't shoved in a refrigerator, it's pretty obvious that it was Alex's poorly conceived death that inspired the WIR site.

Reaction score
This is the first thread title in a long time to elicit a "WTF???" response, Chez Peaches.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you can check when the domain name was registered, and also check The Wayback Machine.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Actually...it was 1988 (Katma) and 1999 (Alex) respectively (I looked up the dates), Alex isn't mentioned on the site besides the scene on the front whereas Katma gets two mentions, AND both of them get stashed inside a fridge after being killed (Katma by Star Sapphire and Alex by Major Force). [Yeah, it's a GLGF Massacre!]

Ergo, the problem...

FR

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Yep...GL Vol. 3, #54, August 1994.

gl3-054.gif

Like I said...I talked to Darryl while he was doing the art, months before the issue was published.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.