German translation needed

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I need a translation into German of the word "minion," that keeps the modern connotation of a servant who does the dirty work for an unpleasant master. I only get Gunstling from babelfish (that should be a u-umlaut but I don't know how to insert one in there), but that translates back as "favorite," which isn't the word I need. I'd appreciate any suggestions, as three semesters of German didn't cover vocabulary needed for a fantasy novel with a bad guy who's from Austria. :)

Gaia

Registered
Reaction score
Other than der Günstling you could use der Lakai - which means lackey. Or Speichellecker which is more like bootlicker.

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
What's the word for an ordinary servant? That might work. I like der Lakai but it doesn't sound German enough to drop into a conversation for a little flavor--and Speichellecker will make people think I made up a word out of "spellchecker." :)

The minion in question is a strange man who can transform into a thousand wasps. Maybe I could tack the word for wasp onto the word for servant.

Edit: I found an online German-English dictionary that seems pretty good. I'm thinking Wespediener or maybe Bieneknecht. The latter would actually help me with a plot point since it's bees instead of wasps, but does it make sense as a word? Bienediener just sounds silly, with the repeated "ie" sound. Thanks, by the way!

Last edited:

Gaia

Registered
Reaction score
You're absolutely welcome.

I agree, Bienediener sounds wrong. Wespediener and Bieneknecht are good options I think and maybe Bieneknecht would work better (but that's because I'm thinking that most english-speaking people would pronounce Wespediener wrong because the German W is pronounced like the V)

I'm just going to throw another one in there: Hummelknecht maybe?

Gaia

Registered
Reaction score
but thought: If you use Bieneknecht or Wespediener (or Hummelknecht for that matter) - maybe those words would kind of be translated into "servant to the bees" more than say a "bee-like servant" or something...

...did that make sense? :D

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
...did that make sense? :D

Yup. :)

I decided to go with Bieneknecht. It works, and it's not like this is a textbook or something. :) I do like Hummelknecht. Hmm, I wonder if it would work better than Bieneknecht. No, I think I'll keep Bieneknecht--it starts with the "bee" sound that will help identify it. And my MC does do a translation of the word as "bee servant," so hopefully that will keep readers from getting confused.

Thanks again!