William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
DALLAS (Reuters Life!) - More Americans believe in a literal hell and the devil than Darwin's theory of evolution, according to a new Harris poll released on Thursday.

It is the latest survey to highlight America's deep level of religiosity, a cultural trait that sets it apart from much of the developed world.

It also helps explain many of its political battles which Europeans find bewildering, such as efforts to have "Intelligent Design" theory -- which holds life is too complex to have evolved by chance -- taught in schools alongside evolution.

The poll of 2,455 U.S. adults from Nov 7 to 13 found that 82 percent of those surveyed believed in God, a figure unchanged since the question was asked in 2005.

It further found that 79 percent believed in miracles, 75 percent in heaven, while 72 percent believed that Jesus is God or the Son of God. Belief in hell and the devil was expressed by 62 percent.

Darwin's theory of evolution met a far more skeptical audience which might surprise some outsiders as the United States is renowned for its excellence in scientific research.

Only 42 percent of those surveyed said they believed in Darwin's theory which largely informs how biology and related sciences are approached. While often referred to as evolution it is in fact the 19th century British intellectual's theory of "natural selection."
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2922875820071129

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Then there are those who believe Darwin was the devil.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Some say inferential. Others, not so much.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Not going near this subject with a ten-foot pitchfork.

;)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Inherit the Wind.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Methodology
This Harris Poll® was conducted online within the United States between November 7 and 13, 2007 among 2,455 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

All sample surveys and polls, whether or not they use probability sampling, are subject to multiple sources of error which are most often not possible to quantify or estimate, including sampling error, coverage error, error associated with nonresponse, error associated with question wording and response options, and post-survey weighting and adjustments. Therefore, Harris Interactive avoids the words "margin of error" as they are misleading. All that can be calculated are different possible sampling errors with different probabilities for pure, unweighted, random samples with 100% response rates. These are only theoretical because no published polls come close to this ideal.

Respondents for this survey were selected from among those who have agreed to participate in Harris Interactive surveys. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the adult population. Because the sample is based on those who agreed to participate in the Harris Interactive panel, no estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

These statements conform to the principles of disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.
more data tables and information here:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=838

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I must live in a bubble, because these results really surprise me. I thought secularism was far more dominant than that.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
american_jesus.jpg

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I can't even believe people believe in the devil.

Just saying "the devil" is unbelievable to me. I feel like laughing.

Speaking of the devil, who most Americans believe in, have any of you ever seen the original Bedazzled, starring Dudley Moore? It's hilarious. Even though I don't believe in the devil, I highly recommend the movie.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it's stuff like this that explains bush's reelection.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
doesn't surprise me one little bit. The Devil is a symbol for the negative, which most people have experienced on a personal and probably quite disturbing level.

no one has experienced 'evolution' in a single lifetime. that i know of.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, I believe in Crystal Lite and I believe in me.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
doesn't surprise me one little bit. The Devil is a symbol for the negative, which most people have experienced on a personal and probably quite disturbing level.

this seems like a bit of spin. the results seem to indicate that the respondents were considering a literal devil.