Road Trip Game Poll

What is the name of the game in which you punch someone when you see a VW Beetle?

• Slug Bug

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Punch Buggy

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Something else (please post it in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I grew up calling it one of those two, but a lot of people use the other. I'm trying to find out which is more commonly used.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Punch buggy for me and my brother. Alas, nowadays kids probably don't play it. Those ugly new bugs aren't popular enough to make playing it worthwhile, and the classic bugs are as rare now as Model Ts.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
We called it Punch Bug, and often called out, "Punch bug! No backfires!" which meant the other kid couldn't punch you back, but it rarely worked.

My little brother and sister would play, but the only ones that counted were the classic models. They're much younger than I, and grew up during the time both models were still on the road a lot.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
With us, it was always, "Punch Buggy Blue, no punch backs!"

You had to say the colour.

And...man, I hated that game. Still do. My big brother used to make me black and blue on our 20 hour summer holiday journeys...now my son makes me black and blue while I'm driving. And if I happen to see it first, he always punches back anyway. What ever happened to the sanctity of, "...no punch backs"!?!?!?!

PS: I never ever heard of slug bug until today.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
For me it was either what Shady or KTC said, depending on the rules at the moment.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely "punchy buggy," except for me you'd say "red punch buggy, no punch backs!" The color came first.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's funny how you think something is universal and then discover it isn't at all that way.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
"punch-buggy. no punch backs." wham.

interestingly, in our game (considered a rule of "punch buggy" and not its own game) when we saw a vw bus, we'd say, "slug bug," wham wham (two punches for a slug bug, and no punch backs were implied, thus making buses the star-power of the game).

There was also pa-diddle - played at night, when you saw a car that had only one working headlight.

my girl friend in high school had dozens of cigarette burns in the ceiling of her car for this one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"Slug bug" and the no-punch-back rule was implied. You also had to point it out to the other person so they knew it was real and wouldn't do it back to you.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely "punchy buggy," except for me you'd say "red punch buggy, no punch backs!" The color came first.

Actually, yeah, I think I say the color first, not last. Or maybe I say both.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've never heard of the game at all. Now I'm really starting to wonder just how weird my family was. LOL!

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
Wow. The results did not go the way I expected at all. I played Slug Bug, but it seems Punch Buggy is way more common.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's no "never heard of this game" response. As if I didn't know already, this is just more evidence that I grew up as a very deprived child in a very sick family...

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
i played Slug Bug-- not very skillfully, but Slug Bug all the same.
xxxrae

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
There's no "never heard of this game" response. As if I didn't know already, this is just more evidence that I grew up as a very deprived child in a very sick family...

Hmm... we're all either pounding on or getting pounded on by family members, and yours is the sick family?? ;)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Er, I still play "(Insert color) punch buggy, no punch backs," and I'm 15. It was a childhood staple, man.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Slug Bug (color)-no slug backs. Played it this way in Wyoming, Colorado, and California.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Slug Bug (color) - double punch while saying no slugs back. The first time we took a family trip to Mexico I about lost my arm. There are A LOT of old model VW bugs down here! And my brother & sister were much faster than me. I think we were up to 50 by the time we got ot our destination!

And yes on padiddle too.