RIP Evel

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Evel Knievel, dead at age 69. RIP. I had all your toys when I was a kid.

2007-01-02-evel.jpg

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My little brother had all his toys too. I remember watching his escapades. Fun! RIP, Evel.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I still have his Jump Cycle and Van in a box somewhere, too. RIP E.K.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-obit-knievel&prov=ap&type=lgns

In this article, it mentions that Evil Knievel was famous for his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon, at Twin Falls, Idaho.

I used to live in Twin Falls, Idaho. What the people in Twin Falls remember about Evil Knievel was the fact that he took off and left all his bills unpaid.

He left alot of people with bad tastes in their mouth.

But on a happier note, I used to watch his jumps on TV when I was a kid, too.

It was always fun to watch.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
I recall when he came to Australia in the very early 70s. Big News.

Funny how time affects things. I woulda sworn he was older than that. Only 69 and he packed so much into his life.

But it goes to show that much thought should be put into showmanship. Right down to the name.

Would Evel Knievel have been as popular had his name been Cyril Jones for example?

A true Showman that many should learn from - may he RIP.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I had an Evel Knievel Huffy bicycle. Streamers and all. Loved it. Never seen one of his jumps, or have I?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
You know whats crazy, Evil really wasn't that good of a rider especially if you compare him to todays kids who are literally insane in there ability to handle bikes. But, Evil was a showman, and a great promoter of himself. RIP dude, and keep leaning back...

Reaction score
You know whats crazy, Evil really wasn't that good of a rider especially

People didn't watch him to see him ride. They watched him to see him crash.

And he was the best.

_1070594_ev.jpg

R.I.P. My Childhood Idol.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a biographical program on Evel Knievel just a few weeks ago. He was, without doubt, a remarkable individual.

He was also, equally without doubt, a narcissistic jerk of monumental proportions, willing to use and abuse people around him for his own promotion without any hesitation. Even near the end of his life, he was happy to boast about the number of women who'd approached him for sex (which he was happy to oblige), while mouthing phony regret about his doing of same.

Evel Knievel will ultimately be remembered as the inspiration for such luminary TV series as "Jackass".

caw

Reaction score
He was also, equally without doubt, a narcissistic jerk of monumental proportions, willing to use and abuse people around him for his own promotion without any hesitation. Even near the end of his life, he was happy to boast about the number of women who'd approached him for sex (which he was happy to oblige), while mouthing phony regret about his doing of same.

Wow. No wonder he was my idol.

Reaction score
I'm not the least surprised that Evel Knievel was your idol, Trilz. After all, you've been idolizing George W. Bush for years now.

I'd guess you really don't know schidt about either one of them, really. But I forgive you your ignorance.

caw

And I forgive you for being old and grumpy.

Reaction score
We don't use the "O" word in my house. I'm "chronologically successful".

And blissful, not grumpy. We're about to change Presidents for the better. Regardless of who wins the election. I'm ecstatic.

caw

I think "chronoglogically winding down" is more like it.

Is it really proper for a man of your... okay...."chronological success" to be so blatantly obvious in saying things like... "We're about to change Presidents for the better..and I'm ecstatic!...etc."

It's like a weird attempt to bother a republican or something but just so obvious and on the nose.

"This will get him..... No, I'm happy because Bush will be gone soon!!"

:eyeroll:

And we're over a YEAR AWAY.

Come on, blacky. You can do better than that.

But not tonight...

Or at least....i won't see your brilliance rise tonight.

I'm chronologically watching House and it's time to go.

Reaction score
Hey! First, what better thing do I have to do tonight? Second, it obviously worked. Like I said, I'm blissful.

caw

It bothered me because I'm one of the great messageboard posters of all time.

Not because I'm a republican.

Save your "I'm blissful because we're going to have a new President" routine for somwhere fall/winter '08. It might ring a touch more truthful and might be bothersome then.

A Free Tip from Billy. Consider it your Christmas gift.

Goodnight.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
People didn't watch him to see him ride. They watched him to see him crash.

And he was the best.

_1070594_ev.jpg

R.I.P. My Childhood Idol.

He was good at crashing.. When i was a kid I ran the moto-cross circuit and hung around some older guys that knew him. At the time this one guy we hung around with (Forgive me I can't remember his name) he was a black guy and worked at the Honda shop on 79th and Ashland in Chicago. He was without question one of the best wheely riders in the country and beat Evil on several occassions in exhibitions before evil became famous. The story goes, that evil wouldn't race against him after he got into the spotlight because this guy tore him up so bad. But, from what I understand they had a mutual respect for each other and considered themselves friends. The sad part was that becuase this other guy was a black man from the south side of Chgo., in the seventies his achievments went unknown.