Do you believe in karma? Why or why not?

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time with karma, and maybe I'm not understanding it right. I think it's the belief that what goes around comes around. This is why I have a hard time with it. My mom died from cancer at 50 years old. She was the nicest, most generous, loving person I have ever known. She didn't smoke or drink and ate healthy. What did she do to deserve that? I know no one can answer that. What about murderers or child molesters who haven't been caught or are let off on a technicality? Where's their karma?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I do believe in karma, but I've also been fortunate that few bad things have happened in my life (knock on wood). I can't speak for your case - that sounds awful - but I've had numerous times in my life where a person treated me very badly and later had that turned on them. Two that stand out:

I had a roommate in college who made my life a living hell & decided it'd be best if I move out. Never talked to me first, nothing, just decided all on her own. (She did the same thing to another girl the next year). Shortly after I moved out she had some sort of medical episode in a store and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's ok, but I felt someone had my back.

My first year in Chicago I had a falling out with a friend & he said some really nasty things to me. I secretly liked him so it hurt much more than he realized. He was later robbed at gunpoint on his birthday. (he's also ok).

Now, I certainly didn't wish any of this on these people, and nothing that serious to make up for my hurt feelings, but no one else I know has had those things happen to them.

So yes, karma.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well nobody ever said Karma was a law of nature, did they? I think it's pretty obvious that the world we live in isn't very fair.

As a Christian, I don't really believe in Karma. I think we get justice on the judgement day, from God. At that time, all wrongs will be righted, and everything inexplicable will be made clear.

On the other hand, I do believe that sometimes God allows us to suffer the consequences for our stupid or evil actions in this life-- usually for our own good. I think He tries to wake us up by letting us suffer now rather than later, when it's too late.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't believe in it. Just look around you.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I accept the concept of Karma in that I believe like attracts like -- in other words, if you surround yourself with hostility and anger, that's what you'll attract. However, I don't think that everything in the universe can be blamed on some cosmic debit system -- otherwise, only shitty people would die from cancer, and good hearted loving people would have long healthy lives.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I also believe in karma. I don't know if that's the answer to why bad things happens to good people though. Sometimes even in the worse situations there is something good to be taken from it. Then there are times where there seems to be no good answer to why something happened. I also have had people in my life who treated me really, really bad. Each one of them seemed to have a date with karma eventually.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I believe life has karmic elements, let's say. But I don't think it's a mathematically stringent, tit-for-tat, good gets good, bad gets bad kinduva thing. Karma, or balance, or equivalence, or just deserts, or poetic justice, or pay-back...whatever, it's a current that runs through life. Life is a very big thing, we each only see one tiny strand of the whole cloth.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry about your mom. Mine died at 42 with cancer and the same good things could be said about her.

As far as your question goes... I do believe in paying it forward. Being positive to others sets a chain reaction and effects many more in a positive way. I don't feel karma comes from external rewards or punishments. It is only the soul that is effected. Your mom has a good soul. Inside, she may have felt proud of you, of the life she lived, and happy that she had a taste of that life here on earth. Her body was the one with cancer... not her soul.

Life isn't fair, but internally you should try to make the best of the short time you have here. Do something good in her honor. Spread the happiness that she may have felt for the loving family who stood by her side. Maybe that will help with your pain as well.

(This is just my perspective.)
Lots of hugs and support.
:Hug2:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I’ve had a few moments in my life when I thought there might be such a thing as karma.

As a matter of fact, recent events have gotten me thinking about it again and I’m beginning to swing towards the “Yes” side.

The thing that has yet to be answered is: Is it good karma or bad karma? (Lord knows I deserve both.)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Can Karma occur in the same lifetime? Like do bad today, suffer tomorrow? Instead of in the afterlife?

If so, I do. Because Thanksgiving day I called somebody a P.O.S, and the next day was totally crappy for me. Quite deserving.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
What about murderers or child molesters who haven't been caught or are let off on a technicality? Where's their karma?

I've asked the same thing about Lottery winners that are in their eighties, or already loaded, or retired and already happy financially, then they win millions. Why?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Hmmm, I’ve had a few moments in my life when I thought there might be such a thing as karma.

As a matter of fact, recent events have gotten me thinking about it again and I’m beginning to swing towards the “Yes” side.

The thing that has yet to be answered is: Is it good karma or bad karma? (Lord knows I deserve both.)

With all the BS in my life in the past year, I'm still hopeful that it's all towards one good thing we're praying for. I had my first good thing yesterday which I hope is a step towards our goal.

Sorry to be so ambiguous, but you know...

ETA: and I try to follow what Turkey said about paying it forward. I try my best to not do anything bad to others.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in karma, but I think the big things (like when you die, and how) are left to fate.

I see karma in action all the time--I tell my kids to do something, they sass, then wham! Someone's walking into a wall or stubbing a toe on a table leg.

I called a woman a 'rock muncher' cause she had knarly teeth (not to her face) and wham! My daughter bites into a rock (!!!! she was 18 months old) and breaks her front teeth.

Karma is in the little things. I see it as life's little zingers. :D

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I believe you reap what you sew. I think the concept of karma is kind of a mystic extension of that, that there are other forces working to ensure you reap what you sew. To a small extent, I do believe that, but I don't believe in Karma as a reliable force. I do believe if you give love, you'll receive it, and if you give hate you'll receive it. The rest is life happening.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Your mom has a good soul. Inside, she may have felt proud of you, of the life she lived, and happy that she had a taste of that life here on earth. Her body was the one with cancer... not her soul.:Hug2:
She died over 8 years ago, and it still immediately brings tears to my eyes to think of her. Your last sentence is probably the most touching thing I've heard since she died. Thanks.:Hug2:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I have no proof that karma exists but I think choosing good actions over bad in the belief that it means something to the universe isn't the worst idea that ever was.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
To believe is to suggest that it is a faith-based idea. Karma exists. Nobody has to believe in it.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
To believe is to suggest that it is a faith-based idea. Karma exists. Nobody has to believe in it.

But can you prove it exists? I don't think it does. And I can't prove you wrong and you can't prove me wrong. Soooo, doesn't that mean it's a faith thing?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The way I look at it: if you believe in karma, then you will have karma. If not, probably not. Also, the mind is an interesting thing, and collectively, I think people can make something happen. So if you piss off a lot of people, they may wish ill on you. The negative energy will eventually catch up. And you do good things, positive energy will flow toward you.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If only you would believe, Jesus said.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
People will say things exist because they know they do. And they do for them. There is this and there is that. To say you believe in this and you believe in that...I see that as a weakness. If I think something exists, than it does...solidly...not just in my belief system but in reality. Karma is there.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I believe in karma... but I also believe in reincarnation, so if something bad or good happens to me, it might be for something in this life or one previous. I've always said I must've done something magnificent in one of my former lives to have been rewarded in this one with Ol' Boy's love 'cause I sure haven't done anything that great to be rewarded for in this one! :)