NaNo Withdrawal Thread

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
So, NaNo's officially over today. Many of you have even finished the novels you started writing for NaNo. Am I the only one who's experiencing a serious withdrawal syndrome here? Come on! Let's share our experiences, how are you dealing with your NaNo withdrawal?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Well I look at this way. I will push myself, just as hard to do my editing. After all isn't this really about self discipline?

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not having withdrawal, I'm having "ooooohhhh my wrists feel better!"

I have plenty of writing work to do! Nano definitely helped give me a push. I will miss some of the comaraderie, but I think enough people will continue with write-ins and stuff that I'll still get some of that.

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
I keep checking my word count. There's no purpose in doing so, but I can't stop. It's awful. If I get under 1000 words in any writing sitting I think 'aww. I feel lame...'

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I've been annoying my friends and husband because I keep asking them, "what should I write about next??"

I still feel like I need to be writing 2k words a day on SOMETHING. It's completely weird not having anything to work on. Plus I really liked all of the hype, the support, and the write-ins. It really got me going.

Maybe we should have an NaNo's Anonymous or something to deal with the addiction. LOL!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It isn't over until midnight. Keep going. Feel the loss tomorrow...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You beat me to it! I was going to do this thread tonight.

Now I'm going to go write. It's not over til midnight!

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
Alas, in my case the nano part of the story is finished (there's still more to write, but that's another story entirely). I don't think I'll write much today. I feel a little sad about leaving my job, so I'm not very inspired to work on novel writing today. Sufficed to say, the nano-ing is definitely over for me. I miss it, but the end of november hits me with the finale of so many things that I'm left feeling pretty complacent today. Bah. Tomorrow will be better.

Those of you still going! Go go! I applaud.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Hehehe I've been feeling kinda empty. Even if I was not writing, it was sort of comforting to know that, when I turned my computer on, my NaNo proyect would be there, waiting for me.

So now, I've begun outlining a new proyect, and am trying a whole new approach to writing it. I hope to finish this novel before January is here :)

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
hah! i'll still be plugging along come january. who knows if i'll be up for janowrimo or if i'll do a modified janowrimo if i'm mid-story at the time, or if I'll be editing then...I have no idea. For myself, I've got plenty of ideas to keep me going until AT LEAST next december.

I'm jealous though, Dama, can't outline to save my life. So many people talk about outlining their novels. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. haha. Still nothing written today, it's a lost cause. I may do some tomorrow night. Got a busy saturday planned.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Well, my NaNo project isn't done. I've still got another 70-90k more words to write until the first draft is done, so I'm continuing on with it today. I'm hoping to get another 50k in December. :)

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I just reached 50,000 (yay!) and only have one chapter left to finish the book! So maybe I'll just keep going tonight and see how far I can get!

Yays for all the winners! Just because NaNo's over doesn't mean we have to stop pushing ourselves to write 2,000 words a day.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
You can always check out Mystery/Thriller/Suspense and look for one that has 500 words per day thread in the title. It's for all genres. I'm sure someone will start the new one sometime during the night or first thing in the morning.

I think I'm going to slip back in there and finish working on the second NaNo novel. Like it too much to abandon it.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be over there. I just couldn't keep up with two check-in threads at once during NaNo.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:

all done go bed now 'k g'nite

(where's a lolcat when you need one!)

I didn't quite last til midnight. Final count 75,427. I'd wanted to do 2xNaNo, but fell off that pace 11/11 and never got back to it -- lack of focus, not lack of time or unfortunate events. But 1.5xNaNo is still pretty cool. (And the number has to be put first here or else it ends up as NaNox, which looks like some weird kind of sleeping pill.)

Fun with stats:
* wrote every single day in November
* lowest writing day 221 words
* highest writing day 5,597
* average writing day 2,514
* average when actually writing: 31 wpm. Figuring out what scene to write next detracts from this, hence, scene-level outlines are good. And pruning shears are my friend.

I write best in 15-minute sprints (not 15-word as I just typed!). Also 15 minutes of writing surrounded by an hour of breaks really isn't very helpful.

High-school plays are something to be wary of, as they also tap into the story high and eat up much more time and mental energy than they otter. (And that's just from being in the audience.)

Short sleep for multiple nights is killer for focus. Writing sleepy is fine. Sitting down to write sleepy doesn't happen. And I don't need toddlers to fight sleep; I do it on my own.

Half days of work/writing don't work all that well. Next time I'll have to try full days off/on. Or something like that.

And sleep is good.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ha. See above about sitting down to write!

I'll be back to -- something -- tomorrow. Somewhere in there I'll have to get housework and play pictures and Christmas shopping and budget stuff taken care of, too.

But there's no way I'm getting away from the writing time. :D

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
I think the withdrawl has officially hit for me. I took a day or two off, started a new job, and now I grit my teeth to pump out a few hundred words a day--granted, I'm doing it by hand which is a much slower process for me and it's better than nothing, but I miss the insane pace that almost killed me. Does this make me crazy? (This is the part where you say 'No, Denryu, it doesn't make you crazy. It just helps.') heh. I haven't checked the forums much lately either. Now that the nano boards are basically dead, I'm going to have to find a new home here on AW. haha. Regardless, still plugging away slowly but surely.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I'm with you - still plugging away but without the frenzy I am having trouble making much headway. One thing I started doing is reading the rough draft to my wife at night. We both laugh over how badly written it is, then she reminds me of gaping plot holes and I note them down.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Still plugging away here too. I added a tab to my NaNo spreadsheet for December counts, at a 1K/day pace, and that little column of numbers is looking to be a good motivator. Can't let it get ahead of me!

Struggling through a battle scene right now, and I know it's pretty atrocious, but I'd rather get all the problems in one basket before I start fixing them. But my little brother's on notice that he'll be drafted as my military adviser!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I think the withdrawl has officially hit for me. I took a day or two off, started a new job, and now I grit my teeth to pump out a few hundred words a day--granted, I'm doing it by hand which is a much slower process for me and it's better than nothing, but I miss the insane pace that almost killed me. Does this make me crazy? (This is the part where you say 'No, Denryu, it doesn't make you crazy. It just helps.') heh. I haven't checked the forums much lately either. Now that the nano boards are basically dead, I'm going to have to find a new home here on AW. haha. Regardless, still plugging away slowly but surely.
I feel the same way. I miss NaNo's crazy pace, I'm having a heck of a trouble even writing 1k a day. Heck, I have to force myself to even open the file! So, instead of discipline, I found myself a new proyect in learning web design so I can build my cousin a webpage. [shameless family promotion] Anyone interested in buying a dog? Great pedigree, puppies of a soon-to-be champion![/shameless family promotion]

But yeah :D I'm happy with how the web page is coming along! And I already learned how to do loads of cool stuff with HTML and CSS. So I don't feel like a complete failure.

But regarding the boards, I also feel like you, Denryu. I've been wandering around but haven't been able to find my place. I just lurk and roam but I can't seem to get myself to participate anywhere. *sigh*