The official thread about what hamburgers are

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, while watching a webcartoon one of the characters asked in a fast-food restaurant á la McDonald's a "Sandwich" and this left me wondering

Is the hamburger a food of its own or is just a type of Sandwich?

Opinions and disscussions are more than welcome about this cultural issue

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a piece meat between two pieces of bread shaped like... buns.

Sandwich

They all consider the burgers sandwiches, even a chicken burger. What the heck is a chicken burger? Ew.

Why is the W called a double u. Shouldn't it be called a double v? Or why not a wouble u?

Guess we'll never know.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
SANDWICH:
world_most_expensive_sandwich.jpg

BURGER:
hamburger.jpg

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
CHICKEN BURGER:

burger.jpg

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Did the chicken burger chicken out?

Seinfeld: What's your favourite sandwich?
George: Hot dog.
Seinfeld: A hot dog's not a sandwich.
George: Of course it is. You've got your meat, you've got your bread, you've got your condiments. You bite into a hot dog, my friend, and you are biting into a sandwich.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
me wantzes chickenz burga:

catburger.jpg

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
HALT GOOD PEOPLE AND COME TO YOUR SENSES!!!! A hamburger isn't just a sandwich, it's a piece of heaven that when coupled with french fries defiines the meaning of GLORY ON EARTH! ...And even the hamburger out does itself by concealing the little bite of pickle enveloped with ketchup and mustard, onion, mayo, and what ever else please's your taste right in the heart of this most sought after staple of life. Imagine if you will, what prose would have flowed from the finger tips of the great W.Shakespear if he had only been able to indulge in the wonder we so callously take for granted as a BURGER. The pain of it all "smith" "dr smith"

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I can't cite sources, and I don't want to start any rumors, but I heard a while back that a meat patty from a certain fast food place may contain beef from as many as several dozen (up to one hundred!) different animals, all mixed together.

It shouldn't matter, but it put me off of Big Macs forever.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
You know, sometimes I come into these threads and find myself spending a long time considering my position on issues like, oh, the nature of sandwiches, wrestling with the different viewpoints, trying to think if I have anything intelligent to contribute. It's getting to be alarming.

But since I've now thought about it, I suppose I'll submit that something between two slices of bread does not necessarily a sandwich make.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You wanna know what a hamburger is, really?

It's even better when it's a CHEESEBURGER!

(Onion and pickle on mine, please! Ketchup, a little bit of mustard.)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I can't cite sources, and I don't want to start any rumors, but I heard a while back that a meat patty from a certain fast food place may contain beef from as many as several dozen (up to one hundred!) different animals, all mixed together.

I used to bring in beef from Brazil by the 900 foot long ship for McD's. It's ground up there, so, sure, I suspect rats and everything gets ground up into it. If folks want to stop the rain forrest destruction, all we have to do is demand US beef in our burgers.

Go to Culver's. 100% American beef.

If we demand grain-fed beef, then both our farmers and ranchers grow prosperous and the rain forest is preserved.

Problems solved.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Burgerville.... A chain in the Pacific Northwest.... sells burgers that come from local beef. Supporting local agriculture is huge around here.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
if you go apply for a cook's position in a little american diner in, let's say, hinkle, georgia, and the owner asks, "can you make a good sandwich?" burgers are included. as a matter of fact, i was trained in the sandwich arts in such a place, and among professionals it is common knowledge that a burger is merely a subset of the greater sandwich legacy.

be careful otherwise; it's a slippery slope. first exclude burger, then patty melts, the cheesesteak and the ruben are right there and next thing you know you're left with nothing but a dry-ass pb&j and a glass of milk.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Why is the W called a double u. Shouldn't it be called a double v?
It is in French.

Are they all cows?

Are any of them cows?

;)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

Yup, that's true! I've worked as a catering assistant for five years, and whilst I was working in a public stall we discovered that all our meat for burgers and frankfurters contained more than, one meat processed in one. It had a bit of pig, sheep and cow. Nearly all the fast food joints, use this method as it cooks quicker. (In other words, it works out cheaper than buying just one meat burgers) Hospitality don't sell processed meat, as I found out when I was working as a chef for three restaurants. All their meat comes fresh everyday, and they throw it away, even if it's not being used.

Last edited:

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Hamburgers -- it's what's for dinner! Seriously, I'm stopping at Trader Joe's and getting some ground meat and buns and all the fixin's! Maybe even some frozen french fries.

Hey, know anyone who calls ground beef "hamburger" or "hamburger meat?" Is that just a regional (US South?) thing?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Down here in Mehico they call several different things hamburgesas. Chicken, beef, whatever. It's very annoying.

But to answer the question, I think it falls into the sandwich category. A reuben has it's own name but is still a sandwich, and so on.

This is the second thread that's got me thinking about ketchup & mayo - I might have to make some fries. Or just drink from the bottle.

ETA: double weird. Paprikapink posted right next to me in the other thread too! Perhaps I'll have some paprika...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a McDonalds burger, it's just a round slice of extruded vat-grown beef covered with something like melted plastic and slapped between two pieces of bread substitute.

mmmmm

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
You know, sometimes I come into these threads and find myself spending a long time considering my position on issues like, oh, the nature of sandwiches, wrestling with the different viewpoints, trying to think if I have anything intelligent to contribute. It's getting to be alarming.

Me too. It's truly horrifying.

Coming on AW is like taking my IQ for a ride on a roller coaster. Some threads haul my brain to a pinnacle of fabulousness and intelligence, and some are lightning-fast declines into the realm of "I feel like I was deprived of oxygen at birth. For a really long time."

p.s. - Burgers are merely more likely to harbor grossness than a steak. So cook them through. No pink in burgers, guys. NONE.