PDA

View Full Version : The official thread about what hamburgers are

maxmordon
11-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Well, while watching a webcartoon one of the characters asked in a fast-food restaurant la McDonald's a "Sandwich" and this left me wondering

Is the hamburger a food of its own or is just a type of Sandwich?

Opinions and disscussions are more than welcome about this cultural issue

Ziljon
11-30-2007, 07:27 AM
I'll have a sloppy joe.

writerterri
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
It's a piece meat between two pieces of bread shaped like... buns.

Sandwich

They all consider the burgers sandwiches, even a chicken burger. What the heck is a chicken burger? Ew.

Why is the W called a double u. Shouldn't it be called a double v? Or why not a wouble u?

Guess we'll never know.

KTC
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
SANDWICH:
http://www.fahad.com/pics/world_most_expensive_sandwich.jpg

BURGER:
http://www.lewiswaitefarm.com/hamburger.jpg

KTC
11-30-2007, 07:33 AM
CHICKEN BURGER:

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/2740/burger.jpg

clockwork
11-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Did the chicken burger chicken out?

Seinfeld: What's your favourite sandwich?
George: Hot dog.
Seinfeld: A hot dog's not a sandwich.
George: Of course it is. You've got your meat, you've got your bread, you've got your condiments. You bite into a hot dog, my friend, and you are biting into a sandwich.

KTC
11-30-2007, 07:39 AM
me wantzes chickenz burga:

http://www.ninjaburger.com/sb/catburger.jpg

Don Allen
11-30-2007, 08:04 AM
HALT GOOD PEOPLE AND COME TO YOUR SENSES!!!! A hamburger isn't just a sandwich, it's a piece of heaven that when coupled with french fries defiines the meaning of GLORY ON EARTH! ...And even the hamburger out does itself by concealing the little bite of pickle enveloped with ketchup and mustard, onion, mayo, and what ever else please's your taste right in the heart of this most sought after staple of life. Imagine if you will, what prose would have flowed from the finger tips of the great W.Shakespear if he had only been able to indulge in the wonder we so callously take for granted as a BURGER. The pain of it all "smith" "dr smith"

paprikapink
11-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I am hungry now.

Storyteller5
11-30-2007, 08:16 AM
A hamburger is to sandwich as ravioli is to pasta.

Silver King
11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I can't cite sources, and I don't want to start any rumors, but I heard a while back that a meat patty from a certain fast food place may contain beef from as many as several dozen (up to one hundred!) different animals, all mixed together.

It shouldn't matter, but it put me off of Big Macs forever.

RLB
11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
You know, sometimes I come into these threads and find myself spending a long time considering my position on issues like, oh, the nature of sandwiches, wrestling with the different viewpoints, trying to think if I have anything intelligent to contribute. It's getting to be alarming.

But since I've now thought about it, I suppose I'll submit that something between two slices of bread does not necessarily a sandwich make.

BenPanced
11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
You wanna know what a hamburger is, really?

It's even better when it's a CHEESEBURGER!

(Onion and pickle on mine, please! Ketchup, a little bit of mustard.)

Joe270
11-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I can't cite sources, and I don't want to start any rumors, but I heard a while back that a meat patty from a certain fast food place may contain beef from as many as several dozen (up to one hundred!) different animals, all mixed together.

I used to bring in beef from Brazil by the 900 foot long ship for McD's. It's ground up there, so, sure, I suspect rats and everything gets ground up into it. If folks want to stop the rain forrest destruction, all we have to do is demand US beef in our burgers.

Go to Culver's. 100% American beef.

If we demand grain-fed beef, then both our farmers and ranchers grow prosperous and the rain forest is preserved.

Problems solved.

JLCwrites
11-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Burgerville.... A chain in the Pacific Northwest.... sells burgers that come from local beef. Supporting local agriculture is huge around here.

joetrain
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
if you go apply for a cook's position in a little american diner in, let's say, hinkle, georgia, and the owner asks, "can you make a good sandwich?" burgers are included. as a matter of fact, i was trained in the sandwich arts in such a place, and among professionals it is common knowledge that a burger is merely a subset of the greater sandwich legacy.

be careful otherwise; it's a slippery slope. first exclude burger, then patty melts, the cheesesteak and the ruben are right there and next thing you know you're left with nothing but a dry-ass pb&j and a glass of milk.

JimmyB27
11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Why is the W called a double u. Shouldn't it be called a double v?
It is in French.

Are they all cows?

Are any of them cows?

;)

truelyana
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Yup, that's true! I've worked as a catering assistant for five years, and whilst I was working in a public stall we discovered that all our meat for burgers and frankfurters contained more than, one meat processed in one. It had a bit of pig, sheep and cow. Nearly all the fast food joints, use this method as it cooks quicker. (In other words, it works out cheaper than buying just one meat burgers) Hospitality don't sell processed meat, as I found out when I was working as a chef for three restaurants. All their meat comes fresh everyday, and they throw it away, even if it's not being used.

reigningcatsndogs
11-30-2007, 09:16 PM
We eat Hermanburgers and Howieburgers, and I know exactly what's in them. They were nice to look at in the field, but they're even better on a bun!!

truelyana
11-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Home burgers are the best. :D So easy to make, and truly fulfilling and delicious. :D

BenPanced
11-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, there goes the fun on this thread...

paprikapink
12-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Hamburgers -- it's what's for dinner! Seriously, I'm stopping at Trader Joe's and getting some ground meat and buns and all the fixin's! Maybe even some frozen french fries.

Hey, know anyone who calls ground beef "hamburger" or "hamburger meat?" Is that just a regional (US South?) thing?

melaniehoo
12-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Down here in Mehico they call several different things hamburgesas. Chicken, beef, whatever. It's very annoying.

But to answer the question, I think it falls into the sandwich category. A reuben has it's own name but is still a sandwich, and so on.

This is the second thread that's got me thinking about ketchup & mayo - I might have to make some fries. Or just drink from the bottle.

ETA: double weird. Paprikapink posted right next to me in the other thread too! Perhaps I'll have some paprika...

Vincent
12-01-2007, 02:21 AM
If it's a McDonalds burger, it's just a round slice of extruded vat-grown beef covered with something like melted plastic and slapped between two pieces of bread substitute.

mmmmm

Hillary
12-01-2007, 03:17 AM
You know, sometimes I come into these threads and find myself spending a long time considering my position on issues like, oh, the nature of sandwiches, wrestling with the different viewpoints, trying to think if I have anything intelligent to contribute. It's getting to be alarming.

Me too. It's truly horrifying.

Coming on AW is like taking my IQ for a ride on a roller coaster. Some threads haul my brain to a pinnacle of fabulousness and intelligence, and some are lightning-fast declines into the realm of "I feel like I was deprived of oxygen at birth. For a really long time."

p.s. - Burgers are merely more likely to harbor grossness than a steak. So cook them through. No pink in burgers, guys. NONE.

Silver King
12-01-2007, 05:28 AM
...Burgers are merely more likely to harbor grossness than a steak. So cook them through. No pink in burgers, guys. NONE.
When I worked as a cook, a guy used to come in twice a week for a burger. We made them thick, using ground sirloin, and they weighed about half of a pound each. The customer always ordered his the same way: bun lightly toasted, meat uncooked.

Steak tartar anyone?

Hillary
12-01-2007, 05:34 AM
When I worked as a cook, a guy used to come in twice a week for a burger. We made them thick, using ground sirloin, and they weighed about half of a pound each. The customer always ordered his the same way: bun lightly toasted, meat uncooked.

Steak tartar anyone?

Gastrointestinal parasite, anyone? That's foul! At least in steak, the inside of the meat hasn't been exposed to the air and bacteria and only large parasites are likely to be inside from the its time as a cow... Ground beef, though? ALL of it is squished around and exposed to contaminants!

Have I mentioned I have food issues? I do.

*dies*

Silver King
12-01-2007, 05:43 AM
The waitresses used to fight over who would serve him; it grossed them out to watch him eat. I liked him because he was easy to please. How hard is it to toast a bun lightly? :)