PDA

View Full Version : deadly mammal

joetrain
11-29-2007, 11:49 PM
so i just turned my head and caught sight of a little mouse running behind my filing cabinet.

ooo, now it's peeking its head around to look at me. cute.

so should i a)try to catch it an put it outside, b)leave it alone and trust the cat or dog to take care of it while i'm gone (leaving in ten), c) pour some bleach back there and investigate in a couple hours, or d) other.

cray
11-29-2007, 11:49 PM

Haggis
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM

Ziljon
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Give is some peanut butter and a bowl of water.

Backward Masking
11-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Build an effigy of cheese in honor of your tiny, furred friend.

clockwork
11-29-2007, 11:51 PM

(i bet he didn't like his flooring and plasterboard anyway)

joetrain
11-29-2007, 11:53 PM
thanks. most i got in the way of projectiles is a fishing rod. and i'm out of cheese. got peanut butter though. are they picky? think he'd like some holiday fudge?

Williebee
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Wait. See if he's still stirring Christmas eve.

I've always wanted to know, ya' know?

:)

clockwork
11-29-2007, 11:56 PM
I spent the better part of three hours catching a teeny tiny mouse once. Little schmenger was damn fast but I got him.

I then put him outside at the end of the garden where he was probably eaten immediately.

Haggis
11-29-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks. most i got in the way of projectiles is a fishing rod. and i'm out of cheese. got peanut butter though. are they picky? think he'd like some holiday fudge?

Mound the peanut butter around a treble hook and cast upstream from your mouse. As your bait drifts past his nose, he'll strike.

No need to set the hook. Typically, they impale themselves.

joetrain
11-30-2007, 12:00 AM
the cat and i chased a huge rat around the house for a half hour last place i lived. i used the cat to corner the thing and then trapped it. a big step in my and blinky's relationship. during the chase the beast climbed our water cooler and jumped over my wife's head and onto the ground. one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

well, the problem hasn't resolved itself and i gotta go. guess i'll see if there are any gory details to report later.

reigningcatsndogs
11-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Bazooka, plastique, hand grenade..... you don't want to miss the little ^&*^&78

SpookyWriter
11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
think he'd like some holiday fudge?Please tell me you don't plan to poop in the corner again.

cray
11-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Please tell me you don't plan to poop in the corner again.

he never plans on it...

reigningcatsndogs
11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
the cat and i chased a huge rat around the house for a half hour last place i lived. i used the cat to corner the thing and then trapped it. a big step in my and blinky's relationship. during the chase the beast climbed our water cooler and jumped over my wife's head and onto the ground. one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

well, the problem hasn't resolved itself and i gotta go. guess i'll see if there are any gory details to report later.
:e2thud:

joetrain
11-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Please tell me you don't plan to poop in the corner again.

he never plans on it...

what happened in your living rooms was completely intentional, but i can't figure out how you knew it was me.

and besides, the mouse was running away from one of my piles when i saw him, so i don't think that'll work.

general update:
i'm back and no sign, but i sense its imminence.

rugcat
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
I spent the better part of three hours catching a teeny tiny mouse once. Little schmenger was damn fast but I got him.

I then put him outside at the end of the garden where he was probably eaten immediately.Actually, he probably immediately returned to the safety of your house.

Actual solution:

Get a live trap (here's a good one (http://www.gremarinc.com/kwikkatch.html)), catch the mouse or mice, and release them at night a goodly distance from your house.

They actually work.

joyce
11-30-2007, 02:29 AM
As long as it didn't look like your avatar, you might be ok.

arodriguez
11-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Cast a magical spell on it.

joetrain
11-30-2007, 02:37 AM
i wouldn't piss that thing off if i were you, joyce. you think i want him as my avatar? it took my kidney.

clockwork
11-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Actually, he probably immediately returned to the safety of your house.

Actual solution:

Get a live trap (here's a good one (http://www.gremarinc.com/kwikkatch.html)), catch the mouse or mice, and release them at night a goodly distance from your house.

They actually work.

It's a big garden and he didn't come back so I guess it worked.

WendyNYC
11-30-2007, 02:54 AM
Those sticky glue traps work for me. Kinda gross though.

joyce
11-30-2007, 02:56 AM
i wouldn't piss that thing off if i were you, joyce. you think i want him as my avatar? it took my kidney.

Is that what the thing is eating....your kidney?

joetrain
11-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Is that what the thing is eating....your kidney?

kidney's long gone. the little bastard is a quick hand in the black market.

that thing is what's left of my neighbor's german shepard.

JoeEkaitis
11-30-2007, 03:00 AM
What you see. . .

http://www.batguys.com/images/mice/mouse.jpg

What your little brother sees. . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Mickey_Mouse.svg/250px-Mickey_Mouse.svg.png

What your mother sees . . .

http://www.edu.pe.ca/southernkings/Pictures/grizzly.jpg

joetrain
11-30-2007, 03:05 AM
executing this one would be easiest.

What your little brother sees. . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Mickey_Mouse.svg/250px-Mickey_Mouse.svg.png

but fortunately we don't get 'em here too often.

Tiger
11-30-2007, 03:13 AM

Give him the PB and the cheese... He'll make his own fudge.

Tiger
11-30-2007, 03:17 AM
...Or, let him crawl into a 6' length of .5" conduit, pick up said conduit, aim at the horizon, and blow. He'll be someone else's problem when he lands.

Just kidding. I rather like the little beggars.

reigningcatsndogs
11-30-2007, 03:36 AM
This thread gives me icky-shivers!!! Just call in the military and be done with it.

joetrain
11-30-2007, 03:42 AM
...Or, let him crawl into a 6' length of .5" conduit, pick up said conduit, aim at the horizon, and blow. He'll be someone else's problem when he lands.

Just kidding. I rather like the little beggars.

[insert that smiley that rolls around on the ground laughing]

This thread gives me icky-shivers!!! Just call in the military and be done with it.

you can't fade the molerat with conventional weapons.

Tiger
11-30-2007, 03:54 AM
you can't fade the molerat with conventional weapons.

I'll let you take some mosquitos off my hands... Cheap.

joyce
11-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Make sure to keep us posted as to the fate of the mouse. Perhaps just send the molerat in after it. If you stare at it for awhile it actually begins to look cute. Yes, I know I've been up way too long.

Silver King
11-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Mice freak me out, and rats are even worse. I can't handle being around them. They give me the heebie jeebies like nothing else can; and I've had part of my ass nearly chewed off by a dog, swam in the midst of sharks and barracuda, stepped on snakes and was chased up a tree by a wild boar; and once I poked an alligator with a fishing rod, and the animal promptly bit the rod off near my hand; I was also beaten to a pulp and nearly died at the hands of a biker gang; yet none of those experiences comes close to describing the heart palpitations I sense at the mere sound of...

Please don't say it!

SpookyWriter
11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Whimp.

Silver King
11-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Whimp.
So true! All you need to bring to the fight is a li'l mouse, and I'll fly out of there so fast, it'll set the curtains on fire.

SpookyWriter
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I have issues with crickets.

paprikapink
11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Mice freak me out, and rats are even worse. I can't handle being around them. They give me the heebie jeebies like nothing else can; and I've had part of my ass nearly chewed off by a dog, swam in the midst of sharks and barracuda, stepped on snakes and was chased up a tree by a wild boar; and once I poked an alligator with a fishing rod, and the animal promptly bit the rod off near my hand; I was also beaten to a pulp and nearly died at the hands of a biker gang; yet none of those experiences comes close to describing the heart palpitations I sense at the mere sound of...

Please don't say it!

Each of these incidents could warrant its own thread.

I wouldn't be as opposed to indoor wild mice if they didn't poop every few inches. That is so unmannerly, in my book.

RLB
11-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Nothing's worse than seeing the poop trail on the kitchen floor. I'd rather be face to snout with the little beastie!

joetrain
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I'd rather be face to snout with the little beastie!

i imagine you would, considering the hurtin your putting on that brownie pan there. squeak-munch-over.

joyce
11-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Please don't say it!

Dear god, and you lived to be a mod squad member! I think you should write a book about all of this.

JoeEkaitis
11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Everybody got mouse trouble. And I DO mean EVERYBODY!

http://gemstonecomics.com/product_images/5/34330/001_big.jpg

rugcat
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
This is like the Goofy and Pluto conundrum. Aren't they both mice here? Creepy, I say.

SpookyWriter
11-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Ya think?
http://images.dezinfo.net/image/11.2007/1kaktis/1008.jpg

Jaycinth
11-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Y'alls can borrow my cats. There isn't a mouse within a block of my house, I don't think. And a couple of my neighbors encourage the cats to come visit (one likes bacon..the other is strictly into cheap kibble. They both love mouse heads.) Ever since my cat took care of that rat in my neighbors' house, everyone loves them.

I am also cricket and moth free.

Ditto bunnies.

Don't kiss my cats on the mouth.

Just sayin'

joetrain
12-01-2007, 07:47 AM
update:

haven't seen the mouse, but my wife left for the weekend, which is worse. i've become too dependent for her to be so comfortable. does anybody know how to work the refrigerator? what about the soap? can i eat leather?

joyce
12-01-2007, 07:55 AM
update:

haven't seen the mouse, but my wife left for the weekend, which is worse. i've become too dependent for her to be so comfortable. does anybody know how to work the refrigerator? what about the soap? can i eat leather?

I just got back a couple weeks back from a 4 day camping trip. When I finally spoke to my husband on the last day, all he could say was there's no food, he's starving to death. Now he had a freezer and refrigerator full of everything he could make. What does this very intelligent man tell me when I remind him of all the food? "There really wasn't much there. You know all the food that was in there was the kind of food you make dinner with." I was like...what in the hell do you think I do with it? It's one of those things that make me love him all the more.

joetrain
12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
so did he eat leather? and, if so, did it work? are you offering to make me dinner?

joyce
12-01-2007, 08:06 AM
so did he eat leather? and, if so, did it work? are you offering to make me dinner?

Actually, he must have been whining so much the neighbors fed him one night. Honey, if you lived a little closer I'd be glad to fix you up one of those down home southern meals. Though from the looks of your location, you probably get those all the time.

WildBill
12-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Yes, you can eat leather. But do stew it for a while to tenderize it. Otherwise, it's a bugger to chew.

Theognome

Unique
12-01-2007, 09:15 AM
so should i a)try to catch it an put it outside, b)leave it alone and trust the cat or dog to take care of it while i'm gone (leaving in ten), c) pour some bleach back there and investigate in a couple hours, or d) other.

A or B
C or D

Chlorine can kill. Don't ask Bhopal. Different .... (+/-)

Unique
12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
This thread gives me icky-shivers!!!IT Should

Just call in the military and be done with it.

I AM SO Sorry; this Option IS not available anymore.
Please check your number and try your call again.

>''<

Bartholomew
12-01-2007, 09:45 AM
If you must take a compassionate route, I advice wearing thick gloves. There is a distinct possibility that it is carrying disease, and that it may even be rabid.

Perks
12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
So true! All you need to bring to the fight is a li'l mouse, and I'll fly out of there so fast, it'll set the curtains on fire.Oh dear, SK. Would you be horrified to know that we have mice for pets? Now they're two little old ladies and sort of creaky and pathetic, but when we first got them, one of the mice was pregnant, so in a few days, we had ten!

Baby mice are cuter than puppies. I mean, once they grow in their fur.

Perks
12-01-2007, 05:44 PM
update:

haven't seen the mouse, but my wife left for the weekend, which is worse. i've become too dependent for her to be so comfortable. does anybody know how to work the refrigerator? what about the soap? can i eat leather?My husband can't make anything more complicated than peanut butter and jelly if I'm away. He doesn't know where anything is. After three years of living in the same place, he can't tell me where the frying pan is or where the butter is kept.

I'd appreciate this dilemma if it wasn't a simple matter of opening the cupboard door and looking.

Silver King
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh dear, SK. Would you be horrified to know that we have mice for pets?
Yes I would. You can safely bet I won't ever be stopping by for a visit. :)

Some years ago, a rat made its way into my home. It was just a little fellow, but it nearly drove me out of my mind. I discovered its presence when I opened a kitchen drawer, and the rat jumped out inches from my face and ran into another room. I literally almost died on the spot.

I told my wife, "Start packing. We're moving out of here."

She was more sensible and set out a few traps. The following day, we heard the unmistakable sound of a trap slamming shut. The noise came from behind a couch in the living room.

My wife said, "Help me move this couch."

I peeked in from the doorway. "I think you're strong enough to move it by yourself."

I offered guidance from a safe distance, advising her to use her legs to help push the furniture out of the way. I warned her to be careful too, as the rat might still be alive and could attack her if she cornered it. She rolled her eyes, whispered a few select expletives and shoved the couch away from the wall. She reached down and picked up the trap without even hesitating, as if she had come across an old sock, and hanging from it was the limp body of the rat.

She examined the creature closely and said, "Poor little guy. He's kinda cute."

I ran screaming from the house and didn't return until I was sure the rat had been safely disposed of.

Perks
12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Lol! Big baby.

Mice and rats don't bother me, but then again, I've been fortunate enough never to have one unintentionally in my home.

I am horrified by wasps and field crickets. *faint*

reigningcatsndogs
12-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes I would. You can safely bet I won't ever be stopping by for a visit. :)

Some years ago, a rat made its way into my home. It was just a little fellow, but it nearly drove me out of my mind. I discovered its presence when I opened a kitchen drawer, and the rat jumped out inches from my face and ran into another room. I literally almost died on the spot.

I told my wife, "Start packing. We're moving out of here."

She was more sensible and set out a few traps. The following day, we heard the unmistakable sound of a trap slamming shut. The noise came from behind a couch in the living room.

My wife said, "Help me move this couch."

I peeked in from the doorway. "I think you're strong enough to move it by yourself."

I offered guidance from a safe distance, advising her to use her legs to help push the furniture out of the way. I warned her to be careful too, as the rat might still be alive and could attack her if she cornered it. She rolled her eyes, whispered a few select expletives and shoved the couch away from the wall. She reached down and picked up the trap without even hesitating, as if she had come across an old sock, and hanging from it was the limp body of the rat.

She examined the creature closely and said, "Poor little guy. He's kinda cute."

I ran screaming from the house and didn't return until I was sure the rat had been safely disposed of.

More icky-shivers!!! We were cleaning out a run-down cabin on the lake. We had made it virtually mouse-proof, had all the food in plastic containers and were sleeping on the floor. I could hear a mouse scratching at the plastic and waited for it to attack. DH told me to be quiet and wait, and sure enough there was a loud snap. "There, I told you. No problem". Right, then we heard the frigging trap sliding across the floor. Arnold Scwartza-mouse drug the damn trap all through the place. I slept in the Trailblazer. About 1/2 an hour later, DH joined me -- the mouse had pulled the trap all the way over to the bed!!! We sold the cabin.

Perks
12-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Wait, I lied. It's not a field cricket that bothers me - it's thishttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/60739525_02bcbd8060.jpg

Cave crickets or camel crickets. One jumped on my neck once. I was eleven. I've never been the same since.

Perks
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
And in looking for a picture of that, I have solved the mystery of the most abhorrent thing I've ever had in my home, outside my brother-in-law.

We had company over and our two young daughters let loose a volley of screams that had all four of us tearing to the front of the house to see who had severed a limb.

This was galumphing across the foyer -http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/molecricket2.jpg

Take a look at him face-on-http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series8/week_one/mole_cricket203.jpg
I've always assumed it was something massively deformed, but it was a simple mole cricket. And may I be struck blind before I ever see one again.

JoeEkaitis
12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
This is like the Goofy and Pluto conundrum. Aren't they both mice here? Creepy, I say.Meanwhile, down at the zoo . . .

http://gemstonecomics.com/product_images/5/43396/001_big.jpg

joetrain
12-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Meanwhile, down at the zoo . . .

http://gemstonecomics.com/product_images/5/43396/001_big.jpg

http://gemstonecomics.com/product_images/5/34330/001_big.jpg

such posts are undoing my entire epistemology.

truelyana
12-02-2007, 02:28 AM
To answer the question, I would go with a) or just wait and see what he/she wants to do first, before making any final decisions. Seen him/her around latetly?

Wait, I lied. It's not a field cricket that bothers me - it's thishttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/60739525_02bcbd8060.jpg

Cave crickets or camel crickets. One jumped on my neck once. I was eleven. I've never been the same since.

And in looking for a picture of that, I have solved the mystery of the most abhorrent thing I've ever had in my home, outside my brother-in-law.

We had company over and our two young daughters let loose a volley of screams that had all four of us tearing to the front of the house to see who had severed a limb.

This was galumphing across the foyer -http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/molecricket2.jpg

Take a look at him face-on-http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series8/week_one/mole_cricket203.jpg
I've always assumed it was something massively deformed, but it was a simple mole cricket. And may I be struck blind before I ever see one again.

Wow, these are amazing. So cute!! :):Hug2:

joetrain
12-02-2007, 02:31 AM

yes. very cute. i think the mole rat has been slightly aroused. he's got a thing for mole-creatures with beards.

truelyana
12-02-2007, 02:33 AM
yes. very cute. i think the mole rat has been slightly aroused. he's got a thing for mole-creatures with beards.

I like he's little hand wings. He's face slightly resembles a bat.

Perks
12-02-2007, 06:18 AM
You guys are sick. It's horrible.

paprikapink
12-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Looks walrusian to me.

joetrain
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
update:

my wife has not returned. i found a piece of bread under the fridge when i tipped it over trying to work it. it's stiff and has a funny purple fuzz, but i think it's keeping me alive.

the mouse, on the other hand, crawled under the desk last night and woke me up. in my wife's voice it told me i needed to listen, damn it, and concentrate. we spoke for a long time. it was gone in the morning.

recently, there was a voice from the sink drain when i was trying to work the soap. it wasn't speaking english, but i'm sure it was a mole cricket.

i don't think i've urinated in 22 hours, but i'm not sure, and i can only blink with conscious effort.

on the upside, because of my college education, i'll never forget how to make coffee and open beer bottles. these are in great supply.

godspeed

joetrain
12-04-2007, 06:41 AM
not to beat a dead thread but all beginnings have endings, eh . . .

final update:

elli arrived late sunday evening while i was picking ticks and fleas from the dog for nurishment. she fed me a dish she calls dinner and prepares almost every time she cooks. when i began putting the dinner into my pants, she stripped me and put me into a hot shower, reminding how to work the soap. after two hours, i regained most of my better senses and dried off.

i was woken late in the night by flailing animal noises all around the bed. i could see nothing.*

this morning there was a small dead mouse in the doorway of the bedroom. from what i remember in my disturbed sleep, blinky the cat fought with selfless valiance. letting me sleep in, elli put the corpse to rest in the compost.*

the monarchy has been restored. the foreign threat has been subdued. tonight is happy throughout the small kingdom. there are no parades, nor fires being lit at the mountain tops; our people of four celebrate with gentle repose.

blinky is in fine salient form, shadowy and vigilant despite his sweeping victories. he has been honored. he has been given the title of secretary of the newly formed royal department of homeland security. while he is still thusly ranked fourth in the kingdom behind their majesties and the royal dog, blinky's new rank is a positioning in the governance of the kingdom itself. this leaves the kingdom no subjects, which means little threat of rebellion. and he will be further honored with sleeping quarters at the foot of their majesties' own bed tonight.

and they lived happily ever after.

fin

*these events are true

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 06:43 AM
I love a good romance story.

Silver King
12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
And a great adventure epic as well, with a happy ending no less!

(I have to admit I cried a little at the end. It was just a tear or two, though I worked hard to choke back the rest of my tender feelings...)

SpookyWriter
12-04-2007, 07:12 AM
And a great adventure epic as well, with a happy ending no less!

(I have to admit I cried a little at the end. It was just a tear or two, though I worked hard to choke back the rest of my tender feelings...)Do we need a group hug? Where's Ray when you need him?

joyce
12-04-2007, 07:34 AM
:D I'm glad the wife is back to give you nourishment. I was wondering if you were going to make it through the weekend. I thought the next tale would be of you cooking the mouse over a fire. I'm glad to know you had Blinky there to comfort and protect you through your trying times. I guess this is the last of the mouse thread. Get a new mouse....

truelyana
12-04-2007, 04:58 PM

That is truly heartfelt. Hooray for Blinky. :hooray:

Blinkys the mouse right?

delora
02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
where there is one...there are usually hundreds....goodnight

Oberon
02-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Actually, he probably immediately returned to the safety of your house.

Actual solution:

They actually work.

Yes, they do, I have trapped hundreds. My father was a biologist. He would mark the mice and carry them away at increasing distances. They returned from a mile away, could be more. So, if you do catch one, be sure to take it on a long trip. What damage can it do? Eat your oatmeal? Gnaw holes in things? I had a vacation cabin with a rag rug, which the mice chewed apart to build a nest in the refrigerator works. Poop can be distressing. Where there is one there should be more. Live with them or wage endless war. The cat might just scare them off by its very presence.