The lighter side of being a sleep-deprived parent

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Hubby and I have an agreement: I get up at night to take care of the baby and he gets up in the morning to wake up our older child, get her dressed, make her lunch and drive her to school. But with hubby falling ill lately, I've had to do both. Not exactly a good combination! What happened yesterday morning is one example why. As I walked my daughter into her school, one of the office assistants who knew me smiled and said, "I haven't seen you for a while."

I was in a hurry and not really "functioning" so I THOUGHT she had said something along the lines of "how are you?" (though it's not possible to mistakenly mislipread someone saying "while" and "you" because of the whole lip shape thing) so I just said "good" and walked on by. (This would not be the first time that I mislipread someone and said something else that is totally inappropriate but COULD be funny if it had been intentional. LOL) It was only AFTER I passed her did I realize what she had said so I turned back to apologize and say, "I've been busy with the baby." She brightened and said, "Oh, how is he?"

I smiled and said, "He's doing really good." (Yes, I'm blaming this one on being sleep-deprived and not on my deafness.)

This morning I saw her again and explained that I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before (only 4 hours!) and I didn't understand her at first.

She turned to a lady she'd been talking to and said, "She has a new baby."

"Oh, a baby!" the lady said.

She looked back at me and said, "I understand THAT!"

Heh, I wonder if there's an anthology on the funny things parents of new babies have (accidentally) done because of sleep-deprivation. :D

Last edited:

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
There isn't enough room in cyberspace to cover all the things that happen because adults try to function on three or fewer hours of sleep because of new babies.

Warning,this continues with older ones too as you know. Going to bathroom, daughter who is two knocks. "Don't come in!" I urge. She opens the door and very gently puts down a box of baby wipes. "Here you go Mom." She says and walks away.