Rejection-feeling blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleTree76

Registered
Reaction score
Richard Abate rejected my manuscript...He liked the concept but said "he did not feeling strongly enough towards my novel itself to effectively represent it"...in other words my writing stinks doesn't it?

My story is about women and for women, so I was surprised when he asked to see it initially. But I guess that doesn't matter does it? I've already partially submitted it to a few other agents, so maybe all is not lost. The rejection though, geez, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
One opinion doesn't represent them all. That doesn't mean your writing stinks; it just meant he didn't love it. You want your agent to get excited about your manuscript. Hopefully, you get better results with the next! :)

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. But it sounds like you're doing the right thing. All you can do is keep writing and submitting. Hang in there.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:Hug2:Sorry about the rejection but you're obviously doing something right or you wouldn't be getting requests for fulls and partials. It's hard not to let it get you down though. Keep on submitting until there's no place left to submit to. Good luck.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Word, AppleTree. I just had my first choice of agent reject me on the partial. She wrote a note that she loved my writing and the premise of the story, but didn't like my main character and didn't want to spend any more time with her.

Then she blogged about it. :e2hammer:(yes, really)

Someone else will love it- you're getting requests. Sorry about the feelin' blues, but it sounds like you're on to something.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Don't despair, AppleTree! That's his form letter--I received the same one last week on my full. Definitely, definitely do not kick yourself over a form. (Trust me. I kick myself around so much I could have been an extra in Bend it Like Beckham). Wait it out and see what happens with the rest of the material you have out there.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Apple, first off...sorry about the rejection. I've read how a lot of guy agents will represent chick lit, so keep sending to all the guy agents in the world! (well...you get what I mean)

Gardenia31

Registered
Reaction score
Ughh! I hate form letters
Don't despair, AppleTree! That's his form letter--I received the same one last week on my full. Definitely, definitely do not kick yourself over a form. (Trust me. I kick myself around so much I could have been an extra in Bend it Like Beckham). Wait it out and see what happens with the rest of the material you have out there.

Last edited:

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
We all hate form letters, and rejections. Like people have said keep on submitting.

Kevvers

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Word, AppleTree. I just had my first choice of agent reject me on the partial. She wrote a note that she loved my writing and the premise of the story, but didn't like my main character and didn't want to spend any more time with her.

Then she blogged about it. :e2hammer:(yes, really)

Someone else will love it- you're getting requests. Sorry about the feelin' blues, but it sounds like you're on to something.

Wow, GB, that was YOU?
Don't feel too sad. It sounds like it is something that is going to appeal to some agent and obviously all the other pieces are there. She requested and rejected a partial of mine too, and now I have another agent, so it does happen.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, GB, that was YOU?
Don't feel too sad. It sounds like it is something that is going to appeal to some agent and obviously all the other pieces are there. She requested and rejected a partial of mine too, and now I have another agent, so it does happen.

That's very encouraging, lkp, thanks! My only disappointment is that she's not going to be my agent, because I like the way she works and thinks. I didn't mind at all that she didn't like the character--it's a story about the transformation of a very damaged woman and the pages in the partial she had aren't always pretty. She wrote me a very encouraging note.

Ouch. That stinks.

I admire you. . You didn't fall to pieces and hide out in your closet for a month. ;)

Ha! I took it out in my blog a little and then started writing queries. Thanks, Meira!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
'Didn't feel strongly enough...' Well, that's the form, isn't it, and is better than 'Ye Gods, what Class A substance did you ingest that made you think you could write?'

Someone else might drool over it! Keep sending it out!

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Ninety-nine percent of rejections come from agents and publishers who are overworked and underpaid. The rejections are depressing, of course, but by no means are they proof that your writing isn't good enough for an acceptance. Like everyone else said, just keep plugging away. Eventually someone will love it and you'll be off to the races!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, don't worry about it, EVERYONE gets rejected sometimes. Just keep sending it out, and good luck! :Hug2:

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like a form rejection to me too but I know it still stings. Hang in there and don't let one agent stop you from sending out many more subs.

Mike Lynch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikelynchbooks.blogspot.com
I think the hardest time for a writer is when they have progressed to the point of almost making it. In my own experience, the early rejection letters for my novel came back in the mail only a couple of weeks after sending out query letters and sample chapters--never a good thing. That was because I just wasn't there as a writer. And so I plugged away, wrote more, went to writer's conferences, and learned the craft of writing. In time, my skills gradually improved. I sent out additional proposals, this time coming back several months later, some with comments included as to why they rejected my workd. I had basically progressed to the level of publishers/agents not accepting my novel because they didn't like the story. I was definitely improving as a writer, but getting rejected still stung. But this also gave me hope. If they were rejecting my story because of personal preference, that told me my story was at least at the level of being publishable--I just needed to find that one person who liked what they read, and were willing to take a chance on me. And one year ago, that happened. If all goes well, my novel will hopefully come out next year. So keep trying. If agents are finding good in your work, you know you're getting close.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.