Synopsis-again

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I am starting on my synopsis and I have a question. This novel is written in first person. Should my sysnopsis be written the same? Can I write it in first person or would that be a no-no? I wrote the novel in first person so that it would have a certian type of mood, I was hoping that that mood would transfer over to the synopsis but then again, I am not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Thanks for your help.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Synopses are usually in 3rd omniscient, present tense. A synopsis is a summary of the plot -- it doesn't have to have the "mood" of the novel, and it really doesn't matter what POV the novel is written in.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Look, Ray, you and I are gonna tangle. We all know you should only write in 3rd limited. And anyone who says different is just WRONG. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Look, Ray, you and I are gonna tangle. We all know you should only write in 3rd limited. And anyone who says different is just WRONG. :D

And all these years I've been writing second person omniscient pluperfect. Why couldn't you have said something earlier?

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
So, if I write it in the style that I did the novel do you think an agent will entertain it.

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd find it a little too cute if I got the synopsis in 1st person--I like it when some of the author's/narrator's personality creeps into the synopsis, but I don't want a personal letter from the character, as it were. I need the synopsis to be a quick read that reassures me the end of the book holds up. I'd err on the side of fewer flourishes rather than more.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So, if I write it in the style that I did the novel do you think an agent will entertain it.
You might find one that will entertain it, but why go through all that rejection to find that one? Write the synopsis according to standards, which are pretty much what Ray said, 3rd person omnscient, present tense.

My novel is first person and I struggled to write the synopsis in 3popt, so I understand your reluctance. First person would be so much more entertaining. But it's a business and they like things a particular way. Why rock the boat? You'll just annoy everyone and make the agent seasick.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think I'd find it a little too cute if I got the synopsis in 1st person--I like it when some of the author's/narrator's personality creeps into the synopsis, but I don't want a personal letter from the character, as it were. I need the synopsis to be a quick read that reassures me the end of the book holds up. I'd err on the side of fewer flourishes rather than more.

I agree. If I read a synopsis in the form: "I did this, and then I did that, and by the end, I got the girl" (worse, if it's in present tense), I'd probably think "this guy doesn't know what he's doing. ;)

I mean, imagine you have to tell an agent, face to face, about your story and plot -- say, in an elevator. That's pretty much what a synopsis is. It would be really weird if you start by: "So I jump off the cliff and break both my legs..." It suddenly sounds like a real, biographical story... it may work, but I probably wouldn't chance it personally.

And yeah, you may find an agent who entertains it, but chances are they won't, and why risk more rejections?

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Synopses are usually in 3rd omniscient, present tense. A synopsis is a summary of the plot -- it doesn't have to have the "mood" of the novel
Agree with the first point but not the second. A plot summary is just too darned boring. I like to give an agent a sense of my writing style, the mood of the piece, a cameo of what they might expect when they request the FULL.:)
Linnea

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Agree with the first point but not the second. A plot summary is just too darned boring. I like to give an agent a sense of my writing style, the mood of the piece, a cameo of what they might expect when they request the FULL.:)
Linnea

That's what your first 3 chapters are for. The purpose of a synopsis is to reveal the plot. It's not supposed to be a writing sample. Now, there's nothing wrong with putting your personal touch on it. But don't over do it -- be precise and effective, not cute and "writerly."

Status
Not open for further replies.