• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing] Wambtac Communications

Kate Nepveu

I hear elsewhere that Wambtac Communications is mass-mailing people who write fanfic. (That by itself raises flags for me, honestly.)

(Google will turn them up; I don't want to give them a link.)

They appear to be a full-on operation: they give seminars to educate new writers, that (surprise!) find that

Some authors have wonderful books inside them, but simply cannot fulfill their literary dreams on their own. They need more than a competent editor or ghostwriter; they need a Professional Book Writer™. "Professional Book Writer", or PBW, is a trademarked designation which is only conferred upon those experienced and/or professional writers who have successfully completed our PBW Training program and internship.

And they publish. No advances for either of their imprints; one claims to pay standard royalties, the other requires the author to put up 50% of costs.

In other words: they get your money for classes in how to write, get your money for fixing up your book, and get your money for publishing your book.

It's really amazing.

Editrx

Re: Wambtac Communications

What scares me more is that they have tried to trademark "Professional Book Writer" -- I checked at the USPTO database.

"C 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Editorial Consultation; Specifically, editorial-service providers (ghostwriters/editors) who have completed the course of study outline above textbook; (Application for academic certification through California BPSVE in progress). FIRST USE: 20030100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030800"

But there's good news: It's in what's called "non-final denial," and/or the USPTO is asking for clarifying information. And the better news: it's been hung up for some time, which means the USPTO isn't buying into their trademark filing. Which is a good thing. 'Cause it's bull.

"Current Status: A non-final action has been mailed. This is a letter from the examining attorney requesting additional information and/or making an initial refusal. However, no final determination as to the registrability of the mark has been made.

Date of Status: 2004-04-13

Filing Date: 2003-09-23"

If they filed in Sept 03, I'll bet this non-final denial (as of April 04) isn't the first one. The USPTO is slow, but not that slow. If this one has been hung up since September of last year, then the USPTO will hopefully deny it in the end. I've seen this many times (so says the daughter of a patent & trademark attorney).

It's time for people to tell the USPTO that trademarking "Professional Book Writer" for someone who completes a scam editorial course from a scammer is a trademark that needs to be denied.

Professional book writers are people who write books and get paid for the privilege, so to speak. And that's it. Period. Scam editors ain't "PBWs."

Write to the USPTO. I think I will. Also let them know that the "company" is saying (on their website) they have a trademark they don't yet own. They can't claim that legally without a valid, passed trademark.

Editrx

Stop me before I go back to Google again tonight. I feel like a rabbit in headlights.

My goodness. The trademark filer is none other than the "dean" of the school that will teach you to become a Professional Book Writer (tm) -- Claudia Suzanne.

Whose claim to fame on the company's website is listed as "four books" under her own name. What it doesn't tell you is that these are all published by her own company, and three of them are actually the same book but different editions. No listing of any employment or training with a traditional publisher -- ever. No books published by anyone other than herself. So much for training her PBWs all that super-secret traditional publishing editorial magic that she refers to at the site, eh?

My favorite is the chutzpah to put down real editors at publishers who leave to go freelance, saying they don't have the training or knowledge to do the job, classifying them with scammers.

Kate Nepveu

My favorite is the chutzpah to put down real editors at publishers who leave to go freelance, saying they don't have the training or knowledge to do the job, classifying them with scammers.

Yeah, I particularly liked that one.

And neither of their imprints turns up at all on Amazon. (B&N doesn't appear to search by publisher.) Wambtac itself turns up just two books, both by Claudia Suzanne (and one for a whopping $89.99!).

I suppose I could go on, but is it really necessary?

James D Macdonald

I particularly liked their web design branch, given the cool, modern sophisticated design of their own web page.

Meanwhile, check out who was the speaker June 19 at the Southern California Writers Association:

<blockquote>June 19 - Claudia Suzanne, publisher, ghostwriting and book-industry expert, Dean and CEO of Wambtac Communications.
Presents The Good Life of Ghostwriting and an after lunch workshop,
Converting Passive Writing into Active Prose.
</blockquote>

DaveKuzminski

Some more to consider

Check out their Board of Advisors. Anyone know if those individuals are really aware that they're on it?

Also, I'd like to know how their staff attended the course if they're the ones giving it? Duh, isn't that a gimme?

I can't help but notice that Wambtac Communications has all sorts of conflicts of interest.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wambtac Communications

Looks like they've expanded into other areas of "document consulting". Bleah.