Bands that rocked that few people really ever heard of ...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I have two:

Lillian Axe. They were from Massachusetts and had one GREAT CD, Poetic Justice. ETA: "True Believer" the prime cut.

The second, Y&T, was a bit more well known. However, never made it main stream. ETA: "Rhythm or Not" my fave cut there.

Any others you'd like to add. And note that "rocked" is a variable term. It can mean just "rocked your world," but if you bring up John Tesh, we'll riot. :)

jt

Last edited:

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
My favorite overlooked band is King's X. They're huge among musicians but not well known among the mainstream. They also put on the best live performances ev-uh. Unfortunately their albums have gone steadily downhill in recent years, but they're still one of the best rock bands of all time.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Captain Beyond. A hard rock prog band that was signed to Capricorn Records, a country label (Rhino, the lead guitarist was friends with Gregg Allman), which didn't know what to do with them.

Hawkwind. When Syd Barrett went insane and Pink Floyd went more mainstream, Hawkwind stepped into the void of space rock. Michael Moorcock wrote some of their songs and was known to perform with them. Their heaviest stuff was while Lemmy of Motorhead was their bassist.

Digital Ruin. With a sound like Dream Theater but more emphasis on guitars than keyboards, this band had one decent album, Dwelling in the Out, then disappeared.

Man. A Welsh prog rock band from the 70s.

Armageddon. Hard prog rock band with Keith Relf (Yardbirds) as lead singer and Bobby Caldwell drums (Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer). Put out one great album then Keith Relf died in a freak accident.

Gentle Giant. A prog rock band with an almost medieval tone to it. Odd timing signatures. Strange harmonies. Probably what might be called a musician's band.

I can also think of some bands that might be better known but aren't really. Uriah Heep. Everyone has heard Easy Livin'. However they have some excellent metal prog albums. BOC. Everyone has heard Don't Fear the Reaper but in my eyes, that's when they went pop. Their best metal stuff was on "Secret Treaties" and before.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Hawkwind. When Syd Barrett went insane and Pink Floyd went more mainstream, Hawkwind stepped into the void of space rock. Michael Moorcock wrote some of their songs and was known to perform with them. Their heaviest stuff was while Lemmy of Motorhead was their bassist.

Michael Moorcock of Elric fame? That's too cool.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gentle Giant. A prog rock band with an almost medieval tone to it. Odd timing signatures. Strange harmonies. Probably what might be called a musician's band.
Very cool band.

How about Atomic Rooster? Their original drummer was Carl Palmer, who went on to co-found Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
By rocked, I'll go by Rocked My Socks Off...

Hayzi Fantayzee
Nightmares In Wax
Forgotten Rebels
Tenpole Tudor
The The
Romeo Void

Oh Man...I have tons.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
+1 on the Hawkwind. Michael Moorcock's album is pretty far out. The first time I listened to it I was like WTF but after a while it grows on you. I'm not sure if Cynic qualifies as unknown. I guess if King's X does then Cynic will too. It's one of like three heavy bands I'll still listen to, because it's sheer genius.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The Vaselines, Teenage Fanclub, Stiff Little Fingers, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Waterboys.

Are these even obscure? They're superstars to me.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By rocked, I'll go by Rocked My Socks Off...

Hayzi Fantayzee
Nightmares In Wax
Forgotten Rebels <-- "In Love with the System": YES! "Surfin' on Heroin": Not so much...
Tenpole Tudor <-- Wunderbar!
The The <-- Lord, yes.
Romeo Void <-- *nods*

Oh Man...I have tons.

The Vaselines, Teenage Fanclub, Stiff Little Fingers, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Waterboys.

Are these even obscure? They're superstars to me.
I loved SLF, and the J&MC. And the Jam. ;) (Have you heard the SLF from when Bruce Foxton was playing bass?)

I'd add the Suicide Commandos. Fast, intelligent, talented, wry punk band from Mpls (I think). "Make A Record", ca. 1980, is the only record of theirs I've ever found, but it's brilliant.

Last edited:

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Band called Hurricane, a little metal band with groove, from LA in the early 1990s. Great stuff.

Oh. And how could I forget -- Hardline with Neil Schon. Rhythm from a Red Car. Yeeeeeeeah, bayb-bee.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey Poet. Forgotten Rebels are from my town. Saw them aplenty. It is impressive that you even know of them. I didn't know they got outside of Ontario, let alone Canada... Wow!

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Treat her Right from Boston. I Think She Likes Me was the single.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Love w/Arthur Lee
Beacon Street Union
The Electric Prunes
Wet Willie
McKenna, Mendelson Mainline
Crowbar
Bush

The latter three were Canuck blues/rock bands who were (much) better live, than on record.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Bush? Sorry but that might confuse some folks.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Focus comes to mind, though I think they had a hit with hocus pokus, But the group that even Led zepplin stole from that nobody knows was an early 70's heavy rock, acid rock, devil rock band called Lucifers friend... They put out one record that I remember and they kicked ass! No one remembers these guys.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Fixed that list for you, Kev.

Anyway...

UFO.

We're talking real rock, right?

But The The is an awesome band...and I thought they were relatively unknown?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
In the mid-90's there was a band called The Gear Daddies...Geez, I LOVED those guys. I still have three of their cassettes because I can't bear to part with them.

I have no idea what happened to the band...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Mother's Finest. Perhaps the finest in funk rock. They were popular here in the Southeast USA where the local rock station(s) played some of their songs, but overall they were a lot more popular (and toured a lot more) in Europe than in the USA.

Two more that just happen to have been from the Southeast:
The Dixie Dregs, later just The Dregs - they played jazz-rock instrumentals, generally leaning more toward rock. Their guitarist Steve Morse has since made many solo albums, but they're a little to "intense" hard-rocking for me - I prefer Jeff Beck's earlier "Wired" and "Blow by Blow" albums, though even what I've heard of Jeff's more recent stuff is also a bit too "intense" for me.

Sea Level: former Allman Brothers members, more good jazzy instrumental stuff, their first self-titled album is by far the best.

I mention a few band in this post, and I still want some WPLO playlists from the period:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1362292&postcount=7
I heard Atomic Rooster's title song to "Death Walks Behind You" somewhere, almost certainly on WPLO, and so many other not-quite-top-40 bands that I can't remember the names of. I do remember two folk-progressive-experimental-rock band names that WPLO played, Renaissance that many may have heard of, and Curved Air, that I'd guess a lot fewer have heard of.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Four Wheel Drive.

Mama Lion. Fell in love with Lynn Carey in 1973, when I saw her in Long Beach. She was known for the most controversial album cover at the time--breast-feeding a lion cub. Had breakfast with her, and instantly proposed marriage. Turned down flat, but it was a great experience. We were friends after that.

Tri

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
I Mother Earth had two great CDs. I also loved Neds Atomic Dustbin...although they were kinda popular. A band that never got the credit/popularity they deserved...Testament.

Ohh...and I forgot TNT...I loved the album Tell No Tales... a bit cheesy but cool.

Last edited: