Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
It's not a rejection but something that made me want to curl up in a ball.

I submitted a second story to the Rosalie Fleming Memorial Humor Prize yesterday. I submitted another story in late October. The thing is, I could have sworn everything read Felming, not Fleming. I swear to you, it was the former. Doing up the envelope I did a facepalm when I realized that I had transposed the letters previously. Dur! Ugh. I hope they just brush it off as me being dyslexic and don't hold it against me!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
That's ok. I sent something out to Ms. Alisan Whomever and she turned out to be a Mr.

Dang.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
They won't care. It's a contest, right. It's not like it was an agent.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Yeah, being a humor contest you would think they'd have a sense of humor about it.

I wouldn't worry.

Plus, it gives you an out. If you don't win you can always say, "man I would have one if I didn't have that typo."

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
No worries. I get stuff addressed to "Mr. Stone" alla time. And I had no idea there were so many creative ways to spell "MacAllister."

On a cranky day, I might roll my eyes a little - but it's never, ever been cause for rejection.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
They won't care. It's a contest, right. It's not like it was an agent.

I agree with Sebby. I've heard of folks tossing unsolicited submissions for multiple typos in the cover letter, but a contest is a completely different animal. They're kind of on the hook to read everything 'cause of that little entry fee (unless they're totally unscrupulous). And I'm sure they'll laugh their asses off (at your submission, not your cover letter). No worries.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think, for business communication, we need to come up with a gender-neutral address to replace Mr and Ms. I can't tell you how many times I have agonized over whether an agent was male or female, googling to no avail. I work in travel and have a name that is largely feminine in the US, but male in other countries. I get "Mr." emails all the time. I find it amusing, but at the same time... amusing is probably not the emotion the sender wanted to elicit from me. If we had a gender-neutral term, this problem would be entirely eliminated!

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told I have a deep, sexy voice and what does it get me?
A "Yes, sir." on the phone...go figure.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If an editor has a name that is unisex, I simply address the letter by the full name, i.e., Dear J. A. Turner; or Dear Chris Wilson. That solves the problem.

DP

Status
Not open for further replies.