PDA

View Full Version : Self Help or Biography?

SadEyesFollowMe
02-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi all, I am new as stated in my intro.
I was wondering if it is ok to mix both a bio and a self help book into one?
Thanks you,

Uncarved
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
who is it a biography of and how would the biography help the readers? Elaborate more on your premise for the book, please.

triceretops
02-28-2005, 09:23 AM
If it is a self-help non-fiction book written in an autobiographical format it shouldn't be too much of a problem, except for one thing. An autobiographical account can often get quite emphatic or "slushy" if the subject matter deals with a tragedy or unfortunate incident. You'll have to elaborate a little more, Eyes--this is one of those "relative" decisions. What is the subject matter?

Triceratops

aka eraser
02-28-2005, 09:28 AM
It might also fall into the memoir category. You may want to check out the Life Story writing board too.

SadEyesFollowMe
02-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks
The book is about my life. From conception (rape) to abuse, family system, stages of my life, alcoholism, rape, and to the loss of my angels.
I have waited for years to write this book because I felt as if I was not ready back then. I needed to be healthy mentally to do such a thing and now I am. I have strong counseling skills (college & being the Founder of Heavenly Angels) and within my experiences I have wrote what I have learned.
Thanks

Lauri B
02-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Sad Eyes,
This sounds much more like memoir than self-help

triceretops
02-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Uh, oh. Eyes, I suggest you let Nomad counsel you on this type of script. Also, there is a Life Story category on AW.

Tri

jdkiggins
03-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Hello Sad Eyes,

If you haven't read any of David Pelzer's books yet, you may want to take a look at them. A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave, Help Yourself, and The Privilege of Youth, are all autobiographical and self-help books. These books might give you some ideas on how you may want to set up your own story.

Good luck,

Joanne