PDA

View Full Version : If you were my dad, what would you want for your birthday?

JoNightshade
11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
You are a big, muscular, sixty-something year old man with huge callused hands. You are very physical and have spent your life becoming a master carpenter, which means you have EVERY SINGLE TOOL worth owning. You are also an accomplished windsurfer, so you also have every piece of equipment related to that sport as well. In the past few years you've taken up woodturning and are now pretty much an expert at that, too. Most magazines and books on the subject are now beneath your level.

Recently, since your heart attack, you've been working less and doing a lot more stuff around the house, such as cooking wacky stuff like creme brulee. Your wife is an excellent cook, so you've got all the correct pots and pans and cookbooks at your disposal.

What do you want for your birthday, which is in ONE WEEK?!?!?!

HELP ME, GUYS!!!

Devil Ledbetter
11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
A gift certificate for a full body massage.

WVWriterGirl
11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Perhaps an "exotic recipes" cookbook, full of the stuff your mom wouldn't normally cook but your dad might be interested in trying?

JoNightshade
11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
A gift certificate for a full body massage.

Unfortunately he's one of those "don't touch me" guys...

Perhaps an "exotic recipes" cookbook, full of the stuff your mom wouldn't normally cook but your dad might be interested in trying?

Hm, this is not a bad idea. The question is, what wouldn't my mom normally cook? Hm. He does like to make pies and sweets, maybe I could get him a cookbook of stuff like that???

C.bronco
11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
How about tickets to a concert or gift certificates to your local theater?

nessam
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
An in house home cooked meal by Racheal Ray?

I always have the same problem with my Dad. I've given in to buying Home Depot GC's for birthdays and nostalgic gto stuff on ebay for Christmas.

Shadow_Ferret
11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Your dad is completely my opposite. Well, except for that don't touch me thing. I don't like being touched either. Oh, and I have no idea what a creme brulee is.

So anything I'd be interested in, he probably wouldn't.

Maybe tickets to a favorite sporting event?

Spiral Stairs
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Gift certificate for a cooking class with a top area chef? Several of the top chefs around my area offer one-day classes for $150 to $200 (or so) per person, in which the "students" learn a lot -- but drink and eat more. We've given them to several couples as wedding presents, and the reviews have been great. (We have yet to do it ourselves though.)

NeuroFizz
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Think back. Most parents have some things they consider luxuries, so they pass them by so they can give to the rest of the family. It may be clothing, it may be activities, it may be some types of food. Try to remember what it was he was doing or having when he used the word "splurge" (or a synonym). If you can think of something like that, don't just get him some of it, upgrade it to wonderful. If that king of thought comes from you, and it's obvious you tuned in to his wants, it doesn't even have to be expensive or rare to be special.

JoNightshade
11-28-2007, 12:42 AM
How about tickets to a concert or gift certificates to your local theater?

Unfortunately this one has already been taken by my mom!!! I'll get you next year, mommie...

Maybe tickets to a favorite sporting event?

Would you believe my dad doesn't watch sports? That's right, men. The manliest man in all of creation watches no sports. He doesn't play games, either. (And I have never, ever been able to figure out what this aversion is all about.)

Gift certificate for a cooking class with a top area chef? Several of the top chefs around my area offer one-day classes for $150 to $200 (or so) per person, in which the "students" learn a lot -- but drink and eat more. We've given them to several couples as wedding presents, and the reviews have been great. (We have yet to do it ourselves though.)

This is a REEEEALLY good idea and I am on the edge whether my dad would actually go for this or not. He tends to shy away from anything that puts him on the spot. I think I will call mom and consult. :)

III
11-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Duh. A grandchild. You've got a whole week to get started.

JoNightshade
11-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Duh. A grandchild. You've got a whole week to get started.

::Jo lunges for III with a big huge sharp knife::

Siddow
11-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Get him a Wii.

And then play with him. :D

JoNightshade
11-29-2007, 04:54 AM
I can't believe this! I called my mom to ask about getting him a cooking class... and she ALREADY DID IT!!!

Anyway, we discussed and she gave me some ideas for cookbooks. So that's settled. :)

Magdalen
11-29-2007, 05:57 AM
The best way to finish a creme brulee is to have a type of device that closely resembles an acetylene torch. They sell them at chef-supply stores and some high-end department stores. It's FIRE! What manly-man wouldn't want that?

Ziljon
11-29-2007, 06:17 AM
How about a Grundig short-wave world-band receiver?
http://www.grundig.de/uploads/tx_products/YachtBoyP2000_03.png

Keyboard Hound
11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Lottery tickets make an interesting gift.