Creative Toilet Training Tips

klow

Registered
Reaction score
I admit that I am desperate! I need to have this article done in one week! Can you give me fun ideas for help with families stuck knee deep in potty training accidents and frustrations-
1. Song - fun, silly toilet training songs?
2. Dance - yes any potty training dances?
3. Drawing - art related potty training ideas?
4. Acting - potty training puppets?

Let me know if you tried any of these fun ideas to bring smiles out of your child during the potty training process.

Please email me directly asap at [email protected]
I need help! :)

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
We did the musical potty chair, that didn't work. Then we did the high five yah you did it thing. But that didn't work. Then we tried the 'ole cheerios in the toilet. (sink 'em) and then that didn't work. The only thing we could find to work was putting up a sticker chart in the bathroom, letting him pick his sticker and then when the week was full, we would take him and let him pick out a toy.

Hope that helps!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I never did creative; I just took away the diapers when the kids seemed ready and if they were, they were trained in about 3 days. One of my kids wasn't quite ready the first time so I waited a few months, did it again, and he was trained.

It's the old-fashioned method; how I was trained long ago and to me, if it works, why change it?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We drew red targets on a square of toilet paper for our son to aim at. His aim remains pretty good--better than his dad's after he's had a drink or two. Sigh...

Maryn, who trained 'em fairly late

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
We drew red targets on a square of toilet paper for our son to aim at. His aim remains pretty good--better than his dad's after he's had a drink or two. Sigh...

Maryn, who trained 'em fairly late

That reminds me of a placque that my mother hung in the family's bathroom over the commode that read "Our aim is to keep this bathroom clean - YOUR aim will help!"
:)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
None of the above worked; my son trained when he was ready to do it. I'd tell parents to relax and not to stress over it. I still have the "Everybody goes to potty" song stuck in my head. It was from this video:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBLBC/?tag=absolutewritedm-20
He really liked the video, though it wasn't much of a motivator.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had the musical potty chair too. Didn't work. My son discovered that it played the music when you crammed ANYTHING down it. Yeah. CLothes. Toys. ANYTHING. :(

We used cheerios in the toilet for targets. They flush easily and the boys thought it ws funny to try and sink them.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! These are wonderful.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Rewards. My son, forever, refused to poop in the toilet. Finally, I bought a bag of candy and told him each time he pooped in the toilet, instead of his pullup, he could have some treats. The fact that his twin sister pooped at least three times a day in the toilet just so SHE could have candy too, helped a lot.

Of course, they were FIVE before they figured out that one does not refer to M&Ms as Poop Candy in polite company.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
started writing because of toilet training.

Wrote my first humor piece, "The Potty Wars." Still writing. Still have three in diapers, two of which are not interested in pottying, one of which is excused, (she's seven months).

Seen people use toilet tints --to change the color of the water, use cheerios for targets, use M&M's for bribes, use pennies in a potty bank, have done all of these. Nyet, nada, nothing.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFVoLz88hiU

Behold the wonders of Japanese culture!

I tried to watch that but couldn't get through the song.

-I bought the cheapest diapers on the market. After a while underwear was more comfortable than those nasty uncomfortable diapers. Comfort is an amazing incentive.

-Wait before I get flamed on that one: I only did that when it was time to potty train. I did not torture my infant.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I started three around 3yrs old and one at 2.5 years because I thought she was giving me the "high sign." Apparently to her, the "high sign" meant months of peeing herself - THEN running to the potty. Number five drags around the potty (not musical) chair -- to stand on while she flushes things down the big toilet.

sigh.

I still have the potty songs in my head from the first four, however. You can't beat reading Everyone Poops just for posterity.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Tried all of the above with my son... cheerios, rewards, stickers, etc. - nothing worked. I was starting to go a little batty over it.

Oddly enough, potty training finally happened when we had our annual summer party/picnic and I invited all my friends and their kids over. The one girl there was about 5 years old - she offered to take him to the bathroom with her and voila! There you have it. He was pretty much instantly potty trained. If she didn't go in a diaper, he didn't want to go in a diaper.

So I don't think it was that he hadn't grasped the concept at that point, it was just that he had no interest in doing so. I mean, why walk all the way down to the bathroom to pee in a toilet, then have to wash your hands when you can do it where you stand and have mom clean you up?

However... When a kid slightly older than himself (and apparently much cooler than mom or the rest of the family) showed them that being potty trained was more the 'big boy' thing to do, well, that was it.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
My goodness, you guys, this is great! I am having trouble keeping my word count down. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get enough words in this article...not a problem now!

One more favor...
Do any of you have tips for helping family members or babysitters be consistent with potty training techniques while they are taking care of your kids. Any funny stories? This is for another article...and I am having trouble coming up with enough words for this one! :)

Thanks again!

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
We used a puzzle. We gave a her piece each time she went in the potty. Then after potty she got to put the pieces together. By the time she got the whole puzzle (25-30 pieces) she was trained.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My friend says of those who potty train very early, "It's not the child who is potty trained; it is Mom."

not-your-pixie

Registered
Reaction score
I am training my daughter, it's been months of trying to every hour and just in the last week she has started going on her own, still more accidents than success but she is trying. Stickers are her reward, and I had thought to make her a potty chart to stick them on in the bathroom, coloring a yellow star every time she tried and putting a sticker when she went, but she decided she wanted to wear the stickers instead.....it was her way of showing everyone she was learning, that and books in the bathroom. Reading her a story while she sat on the potty kept her from getting up too soon.

As far as babysitters and consistency, we wrote out the routine and reward system and taped it to the bathroom door, so if anyone, (including her daddy) else was watching her, they would be able to follow our routine.

I hate potty training.......