Yeah, it's not about oil

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who continues to maintain that our interest in Iraq has nothing to do with the fact that it contains the world's second- or third-largest reserves of petroleum, check out the "declaration of principles" signed today between Iraqi Prime Minister Al-Maliki and President George W. Bush. Expect U.S. troops in large numbers for the rest of your lifetimes, boys and girls.

caw

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
US military presence in countries where we have waged war is nothing new.

you could leave 1 in 5 US soldiers in iraq after the fighting has finally ceased, and our presence there would still be lower than our presence in either south korea, japan, or germany.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

you could leave 1 in 5 US soldiers in iraq after the fighting has finally ceased, and our presence there would still be lower than our presence in either south korea, japan, or germany.

Well said- I can add no more.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe in three or four generations, there will be a group of middle-easterners we can actually call allies.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Maybe in three or four generations, there will be a group of middle-easterners we can actually call allies.

you mean like bahrain, kuwait, oman, qatar, turkey, israel, saudi arabia, jordan, egypt, UAE...?

christ, kid. crack open a book....

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
you mean like bahrain, kuwait, oman, qatar, turkey, israel, saudi arabia, jordan, egypt, UAE...?

Christ, kid. crack open a book....

Sure. Any titles you'd like to suggest? I have a big chunk of vacation time coming up between semesters.

#

I'm not sure any of those places are our allies. I admit ignorance on the subject; my reading about middle eastern politics does not much exceed front-page newspaper articles.

I'm suspicious of the list you've presented, though. Are they our allies, or do they merely not currently attack us?

And in the case of Isreal, I grant you that we are their ally. I find myself wondering if the relationship works both ways.

I mean, an Ally would no doubt have helped us when New York was bombed. What sort of relief effort did Isreal offer New York? Honest question. I have no idea one way or the other.

Last edited:

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
"Preferential treatment for US investors could provide a windfall if Iraq can achieve enough stability to exploit its vast oil reserves." (quoted from the above link)
And from this one sentence you can say that being in iraq is all about the oil? Seems to me that if and when Iraq achieves stability it should be able to take adavantage of ITS own oil reserves. Nowhere in that article does it say that the US is gonna get all of the oil or even that its going to get any of the oil. Just says that negotiations that havent even happened yet could be favorable to US investors. I am not in favor of an indefinite US military presence in Iraq, but this article does not say its all about the oil.

yer pal Brian

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon

When I was in korea in 74-75 there was a total of around 40,000 troops there. That included all the support troops, not just combat troops. When I was stationed at Kimpo AB the life expectancy of any US soldier within 50 miles of the DMZ was estimated to be 45 minutes in case of attack by North Korea which had an estimated 2 million troops on the other side of the DMZ. There are less american military there now than there was when I was there.

yer pal Brian

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
When I was in korea in 74-75 there was a total of around 40,000 troops there. That included all the support troops, not just combat troops. When I was stationed at Kimpo AB the life expectancy of any US soldier within 50 miles of the DMZ was estimated to be 45 minutes in case of attack by North Korea which had an estimated 2 million troops on the other side of the DMZ. There are less american military there now than there was when I was there.

yer pal Brian

as of 2004, there were 37,000 US troops there. so, yes: 3000 fewer.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/06/07/skorea.troops/index.html

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read something that said that we have a US military presence in 130+ countries...there are 193 countries in the world (194 if Kosovo declares independence Dec 10th and we acknowledge it). And that's not counting diplomatic security corps ;) We're everywhere!

As for allise, we pick strange bedfellows (Sudan being one of them). Politics is fun sometimes...you find strange ways of making allies.

When we were planning to invade Afghanistan, Iran unofficially approached us and offered us emergency landing privileges should one of our planes be shot down or encounter difficulty. We were having trouble finding this guarantee from other regional players...and here came Iran. And we accepted that plan.

As for oil, I think that oil was definitely part of it...but energy/environmental policy IS the new national security policy. It'd be foolish to consider it otherwise.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score

yer pal Brian
boink -- why can't I delete me own messages here? Hmmm...

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
as of 2004, there were 37,000 US troops there. so, yes: 3000 fewer.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/06/07/skorea.troops/index.html

Such a significant number in troop reduction.

In all seriousness, William, thanks. I hope I know you well enough to rightfully assume that you recognize the absurdity in the argument of occupation/peace keeping/maintenance forces vs. actual "combat troop withdrawal."

Regarding this issue, I beg we are in accord as we're ultimately dealing with semantics aka spin. As you must know, three thousand is a drop in the proverbial occupation/peace keeping/maintenance/combat troop withdrawal. . . bucket.

Last edited: