Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Joanne, I entered a lot of them, so to tell you the truth, I can't remember if that specific one is one I entered or not. (And I just tossed out a lot of my old contest entries when I moved into a new house.)

Do you have any specific questions? I might be able to help you find the answers.

I'm still a big contest slut. :Jump: LOL. Just now I enter the pubbed contests with books instead of manuscripts.

Susan G.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm still a big contest slut. :Jump: LOL. Just now I enter the pubbed contests with books instead of manuscripts.

:roll: contest slut.

I think it's great that you enter your published books in contests. I haven't been published in the romance genre yet, but I'm working on it.

My co-author and I received e-mail notification this morning informing us that our entry made it to the finalists. I think my head is still spinning, maybe I should have added that to my original post with a different heading. :)

Thanks, Susan.
Joanne

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
jdkiggins said:
My co-author and I received e-mail notification this morning informing us that our entry made it to the finalists. I think my head is still spinning, maybe I should have added that to my original post with a different heading. :)
Joanne

Yeaaayyy for you!! :partyguy: :PartySmil

Congratulations, that's wonderful news! What category did you enter? (I don't even know if that contest has categories. <G> ) Is there an editor who's reading the final round?

Contests like this can be an excellent way of getting your work in front of an editor. And even if they don't ask to buy *this work* from *this contest experience* believe me, the editors remember that they've seen your stuff before. So, exposure like this is always a good thing.

Fingers crossed for you in the final round!

Susan G. - PS if you have any other romance questions, I'm hanging around, so please feel free to ask. :)

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Susan,

There was no specific category and they only asked for the first five pages. Our manuscript is romantic suspense. I'm thrilled to have been part of the finalists. Kelly Harms, Avon Books is the final judge. Just knowing that our first five pages is being read by an editor of a publishing company is such a terrific feeling. Who knows, it could lead to something else down the road. I've got my fingers crossed too. :)

Thanks for the response.

Joanne

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Is the ms finished? Have you entered it in more contests? (Def. something you should consider!)

Susan G.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS jdkiggins! Good luck!!

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Yes, Susan. It's finished; we're in our final edit now. We also have a sequel to it half completed. It's a long story how my co-author and I got together and decided to write this, but this is a first romance manuscript for both of us, and our first time submitting to a contest. We thought we'd try a contest while we were editing the rest of the manuscript. Believe me, we're both still stunned that we made it to finalist on the first try. I don't think we'll be shy any longer.

:)

Joanne

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
jdkiggins said:
Believe me, we're both still stunned that we made it to finalist on the first try. I don't think we'll be shy any longer.

Awesome, Joanne. That says great things about your voice, and about your ability to craft a strong opening to a story. And you need that strong opening to pull in an agent/editor.

I'd highly recommend you submit it to more contests. You can get excellent feedback from some contests, too. Just remember to take the judges comments with some thoughtful reflection. First, look at who the judge was. Pubbed? Unpubbed? Believe it or not, some unpubs make much harsher judges than pubs do because they (unpub judges) learn certain things that they think are absolutes, and once you get your foot in the door, you start to learn that some things are not how you thought they had to be. <G>

Also, if they make story points, just ask if what they say/ask makes sense to you. Sometimes when I judge, I point out things like characters who aren't behaving consistantly with their prior behavior or with who they're "supposed" to be. That doesn't mean that it's wrong - it means it pulled me out of the story, and so the writer should think about why that happened.

Contests can be a real crap shoot, depending on who you pull as a judge. So don't start thinking bad things if you don't final in the next one.

I'd say you're off to a great start, and I wish you tons of luck in the future!

:Cheer:

Susan G.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Thanks, Susan.

I'm definitely waiting to see the judge sheets when they come in. I'm sure there will be points we may want to consider.

My partner has never been published at all. In fact this is her first completed work. So I'm still working on getting her out of the clouds long enough to take a deep breath so we can get back to work on our final edit. I told her I may have to send her an oxygen tank. She said she feels like such a "newbie." I keep reassurring her that even though I've published more than 2,500 articles, sending out book manuscripts, even parts for contests, is a new thing for me as well.

Believe me, I'm excited, and watching her dance around reminds me of those days way back when...

I'm looking forward to sitting back and taking in what the judges say. Any comments will give me a better idea of where to go from here. I will keep in mind that there are plenty of contests out there. In fact, I have five completed manuscripts of my own (some in different genres) that I may consider shipping out to contests, now that I've passed that "scared to death" feeling. :)

Joanne

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
I keep reassurring her that even though I've published more than 2,500 articles, sending out book manuscripts, even parts for contests, is a new thing for me as well.

WOW! 2,500...as in two THOUSAND five hundred! That's absolutely amazing! One more wow!

Okay, now I'll dispense with the exclamation points and switch to question marks.

How many years did it take to accomplish that? Is it mostly fiction or nonfiction? What are your top two pieces of advice for a newbie like me who wants to be able to say "I've published 2,500 articles" like you?

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
RoseReifsnyder said:
WOW! 2,500...as in two THOUSAND five hundred! That's absolutely amazing! One more wow!

Okay, now I'll dispense with the exclamation points and switch to question marks.

How many years did it take to accomplish that? Is it mostly fiction or nonfiction? What are your top two pieces of advice for a newbie like me who wants to be able to say "I've published 2,500 articles" like you?

:roll: Rose,

Yes, as in two thousand five hundred. That was the total back in ?? let me think, 1998. They are a mix of fiction and nonfiction.

:idea: Two pieces of advice: write what you know, write everyday, and never give up. Oops, that's three, but I've already said it and I'm not taking it back. :Ssh: Oh, one more thing; always try to keep a sense of humor no matter how hard it may be at times. :)

Joanne

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to print in and post it above my monitor!

For what it's worth, your sucess is a HUGE inspiration to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.