PDA

View Full Version : NF Proposal Question: Market Analysis

coryscalhoun
11-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Hello. I'm Cory, a newbie to Absolute Write. I've got a question about the non-fic proposal I'm working on:

I'm in the middle of a market analysis of the audience for my non-fiction book (about anagrams & trivia). I'm learning about similar books and their sales, and any other groups, publications, and websites with buyers/members/subscribers I hope market the book to.

The problem: It appears getting hard data for book & magazine sales (at least, anything that's not on a best-seller list) is nigh impossible, or at least costs an arm and a leg to subscribe to services that have that info (Nielsen BookScan told me they charge $800 a year for book sales figures!)

The question: Are agents/publishers looking for reasonable estimates (assuming they already know a fair amount of it already), or are they looking for the data one can only get from costly (or impossible to obtain) means? I've tried contacting publishers directly, but with little/no success. Are there better places to look?

I don't want to take the scant info I have and "jazz it up," but being ultra-accurate is a tough go.

Thanks much,
Cory Calhoun

Lauri B
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't worry about hard numbers; the publishers and agents want to know if you know your market, the competition, and where your book fits in. They can find the numbers if they want to know them; they will likely subscribe to all the right sources.

coryscalhoun
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks! That was my suspicion; just wanted to save myself some head-against-wall-banging.

Cory

Lavinia
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
If you haven't already, may I suggest that you read the first "sticky" at the top of this thread. It's called something like, "The non-fiction proposal by Momma Jenna and..." It is absolutely excellent and I believe there is a section or two on exactly what you are looking for. Good luck! ~Karen

coryscalhoun
11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks to everyone...excellent advice. And the posts in the sticky thread are a great help too. Much appreciated!

Cory