Which direction to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting back into the whole submissions thing again, after a break of a number of years. I have to admit, it's all pretty overwhelming what with the tight markets, the "to agent or not to agent" debate, the competitiveness of the magazine markets.

I have a manuscript for a children's picture book, and to be honest with you, I don't know what the hell to do with it. Send it to an agent? Try one of the few publishers that will take unagented works? Try the children's magazine market in hopes of getting a sale under my belt?

My head hurts. Pass the Advil, please.:flag:

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some Advil...

I took some already!

It is hard out there. I have been going to the agent/editor boards and there's some interesting stuff out there.
SCBWI has helped me to, although it's a membership type organization. Write 4 Kids is good too. I get their newsletter and it has some suggestions.

Don't get discouraged...you're not alone!:PartySmil

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, WB and all,

I always tell folks to go to www.google.com and type in picture book publishers, then click search. You'll find lots of markets there and their guidelines will help you with what to do and what they want. If you get it published, I want 10%. Just kidding.:) Much good luck.

Happy acceptances, Susie:)

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged...you're not alone!

Thanks, aaka1a. Keep that Advil bottle handy, will ya? ;)

And thanks, Sherri, for the info, but *finding* information is not my problem. Figuring out the best way to proceed with that information is. Guess the best thing to do is just make an informed decision and move full-steam ahead.

Thanks again, guys.

KimS

Registered
Reaction score
Getting an agent is just as hard as getting a book published, and both want already-published authors. If you already have magazine credits, just start subbing to publishers who are open to new authors. If you don't have mag credits, start trying to get published in kids' mags. Having some writing credits already will give you an advantage to selling your manuscript. Good luck!

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input. I've currently got one pb manuscript out on query, and a story subbed to one of the children's mags. A couple more are nearing completion. I'll take it one step at a time and see where I end up! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.