PDA

View Full Version : What kind of poster are you, anyway?

Silver King
11-26-2007, 04:01 AM
Well? Tell us.

I'll go first. Slow and deliberate, sometimes agonizing over what to say, taking entirely too long to express simple sentiments, reading and rereading the post, adding a comma here, changing a word there as if I were working on a critical draft of my WIP, and then during the final read-through, I shit-can the whole idea and decide not to submit the post.

So, what kind of poster are you, anyway?

san_remo_ave
11-26-2007, 04:04 AM
About the same, SK. I write many a post that I never actually submit. I do the same thing with email (when I'm really, really perturbed about something it helps to write it out, then delete it all). It's goofy of me, but there you go.

Now, the real question is will I actually submit this reply to your thread? Hmmm.

;)

SpookyWriter
11-26-2007, 04:05 AM
http://www.chriskoehler.com/blog/images/hasselhoff.gif

JLCwrites
11-26-2007, 04:05 AM
I'd like to think I could be that Farrah Fawcett poster. But I am poorly qualified to compare to her.

Oh crapola! Spook beat me to it!
Ok... I am a slow poster, and I am horrible about editing my posts and even deleting them.

WendyNYC
11-26-2007, 04:07 AM
The complete opposite. Quick to shoot off a response, often with typos because my keyboard is sticky. Although I try to think a little about content before I type, so hopefully I don't unintentionally offend anyone.

san_remo_ave
11-26-2007, 04:08 AM
http://www.chriskoehler.com/blog/images/hasselhoff.gif

That's a lot of chest hair.

Voyager
11-26-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm the type of poster you're mod warned you about

SpookyWriter
11-26-2007, 04:12 AM
That's a lot of chest hair.And you forgot to mention the six toes on each foot.

William Haskins
11-26-2007, 04:12 AM
depends on the forum and the thread subject.

SpookyWriter
11-26-2007, 04:17 AM
depends on the forum and the thread subject.Three words: hezbollah bowling league.

What do you think?

Perks
11-26-2007, 04:22 AM
About half the time, I leave out a word or a comma or some such nonsense. Then I have to go back and add it, always hoping that I'll beat the grace-period-timer that likes to advertise that I, yet again, had to edit my goddamned post.

Jersey Chick
11-26-2007, 04:22 AM
I write what I want to say, make sure it's really what I want to say, check to make sure I've caught all the typos and then send. It backfires a lot, though, and I have to go in and edit anyway, but hey - I try.

It's only when the discussion's a little **ahem** heated, that I make sure to wait a few minutes before posting. Oh, and I have to make sure that I have a smilie if what I've written can be taken as bitchy. Sometimes I forget the smiley and all hell breaks loose. :D

brokenfingers
11-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Iím basically a pretty casual, spur-of-the-moment poster. I usually peruse through the New Posts list and check out the threads and only click into ones that either intrigue me or have been started by someone I know or like.

Sometimes I go quite a while before I see something that moves me to post.

Sometimes, Iíll have an urge to share my POV if I feel itíll contribute, sometimes Iíll just insert a quip or a joke (cuz thatís my personality anyway Ė an irreverent smartass) and sometimes a thread is just good olí fashioned fun and a lot of people jump in. Those are my favorite.

Certain type threads I donít go into or wonít ever post in. But there are a couple of habit-threads that I like cuz they require a little creativity but not enough to make it seem like work.

I try to be even-tempered and fair when I post but even if I think my view might not be popular or welcome, it still won't deter me if itís something I feel I have to say.

Iím a big supporter of the underdog and canít stand groupthink. So I usually have my say when I see a victim of it.

Sometimes my thoughts will involve serious thoughts and emotions from deep within me and sometimes theyíll be crass jokes and innuendoes. I canít resist cracking a joke if I see it or if someone sets it up. And I canít resist inserting my opinion if I feel it isnít being represented or if I feel itís being overlooked.

With serious issues and posts, Iíll usually type them up in Word first so I can compose my thoughts into a coherent order and limit any typos. But otherwise, Iíll just click on reply and shoot straight from the hip.

Also some threads bore me fairly quickly, no matter how serious the topic or discussion. If I see the same views being repeated ad nauseum or if things arenít progressing and have basically stagnated into a stalemate or if theyíve digressed into something that no longer interest me than I usually wonít enter them again.

Same thing if a posterís being dense or difficult. Iím not terribly invested in any thread Ė definitely not enough to get worked up over anyoneís difference in opinion or personality quirks or cries for attention etc.

So, to be honest, I donít know exactly what type of poster I am. I just is. :D

William Haskins
Three words: hezbollah bowling league.

What do you think?

sexy time.

Jean Marie
And, if I don't beat the damned timer, I like to try and think of something witty to add to the silly reason box. Or, leave it empty.

*Perks said almost exactly what I wanted to. Hence, my beginning my post w/ and*

Zelenka
11-26-2007, 04:27 AM
I ramble, tend to put a lot of things in parenthesis (for no good reason) and use phrases like, or what have you, if you see what I mean, a lot, but never really seem to come to any kind of point (but I do often say the same thing at least three different ways to try and make it clear), so I would say yeah, probably I am a rambler when it comes to posting and then half the time I don't actually post the reply anyway (as I realise at the very end that it's rambling).

Yeah.

Silver King
11-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Three words: hezbollah bowling league.

What do you think?
Crap! Now this thread might end up in the Politics forum. :D

Mr. Haskins brings up a good point. Depending on the forum, would you let your hair down more in a writing sense when posting in Office Party, more than you would in other forums?

I'm fascinated by writers who contribute to this message board, and wonder whether they feel differently about their posts than say, anything else they might happen to write.

ETA: Told you I was slow. This thread is speeding by...

robeiae
11-26-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm a prick.

WendyNYC
11-26-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm fascinated by writers who contribute to this message board, and wonder whether they feel differently about their posts than say, anything else they might happen to write.

Yep, I do. I'm mostly here for information or to take a break. I'm careful with my WIPs.

But I didn't even know that your could go back and edit a post. Jeez, I need to pay better attention.

rhymegirl
11-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Such a thought-provoking question, Silver King.

Now, just to show you what kind of poster I am, I am going to have to get back to you on this question after I think about it first.

KTC
11-26-2007, 04:48 AM
I'm a prick.

He is. Really.

I'm an as-fast-as-I-can asshole.

Magdalen
11-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Well, my main MO when posting is to have a passionate opinion. If I only feel/think mildly about the topic then I usually refrain. Another reason why I post a comment is because I like a word that somebody used. For instance, I looked up Post and poster before I typed this response. So my final answer is: I am the archaic type of poster, also called a post horse, which (was) is a horse kept, as at a station on a post road, for the use of persons riding post or for hire by travellers. Today, this poster is feeling her oats!!

KTC
11-26-2007, 04:53 AM
Such a thought-provoking question, Silver King.

Now, just to show you what kind of poster I am, I am going to have to get back to you on this question after I think about it first.

Indecisive boob. Check.

Jean Marie
11-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Crap! Now this thread might end up in the Politics forum. :D

Mr. Haskins brings up a good point. Depending on the forum, would you let your hair down more in a writing sense when posting in Office Party, more than you would in other forums?

ETA: Told you I was slow. This thread is speeding by...
ToT will be swinging by any second, now that her beloved Bears have won. I'd write that in this forum, only. Maybe, in TIO. Probably not in politics, though.

My writing reflects which forum I'm in, for the most part. All the threads have a bit of goofing off in them. How can they not. Consider the group.

My WIP reflects humor, too.

I'm a prick.
:Hug2:

Yep, I do. I'm mostly here for information or to take a break. I'm careful with my WIPs.

But I didn't even know that your could go back and edit a post. Jeez, I need to never pay attention.
I can edit your post, too :)

rhymegirl
11-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Indecisive boob. Check.

No, no, no. I just like to put some thought into my posts, you, you goofball.

See? Before I typed goofball, I had to think about it first.

I thought: What should I call him? Creep? No. Cupcake? No. Bastard? No. Phlemwad? No. Freak? No.

It always takes so much thought.

KTC
11-26-2007, 04:58 AM
No, no, no. I just like to put some thought into my posts, you, you goofball.

See? Before I typed goofball, I had to think about it first.

I thought: What should I call him? Creep? No. Cupcake? No. Bastard? No. Phlemwad? No. Freak? No.

It always takes so much thought.

I suppose Goofball works.

Kevin, the goofball creep cupcake bastard phlemwad freak of AW.

Magdalen
11-26-2007, 05:02 AM
He is. Really.

I'm an as-fast-as-I-can asshole.

Forcing things only causes problems;impatient assholes often wind up with hem-or-rhoids!!!

Chumplet
11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm a compulsive drive-by poster, usually determined by how many (insert alcoholic beverage here) I've consumed.

Yes, I've had three... okay, four beers.

KTC
11-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Forcing things only causes problems;impatient assholes often wind up with hem-or-rhoids!!!

Which is why I never force my assholedness.

Silver King
11-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Well, my main MO when posting is to have a passionate opinion. If I only feel/think mildly about the topic then I usually refrain. Another reason why I post a comment is because I like a word that somebody used. For instance, I looked up Post and poster before I typed this response. So my final answer is: I am the archaic type of poster, also called a post horse, which (was) is a horse kept, as at a station on a post road, for the use of persons riding post or for hire by travellers. Today, this poster is feeling her oats!!
See what I mean? How cool is that? Creative beyond all measure, and Magdalen's oats sowed before us where they can be appreciated.

Thank you. :)

III
11-26-2007, 05:10 AM
I just kill time between my brilliant polls.

Shady Lane
11-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I make really fast, hastily composed with-no-corrections posts. I prefer to answer in a single sentence if possible. I get that 'you can only make 1 post ever 30 seconds' warning a lot.

When I'm on the YA boards, I use a lot of capital letters and very few commas.

Devil Ledbetter
11-26-2007, 05:12 AM
About half the time, I leave out a word or a comma or some such nonsense. Then I have to go back and add it, always hoping that I'll beat the grace-period-timer that likes to advertise that I, yet again, had to edit my goddamned post.Heh, me too. I hate it when I blow that grace period.

Kevin, the goofball creep cupcake bastard phlemwad freak of AW.Perhaps, darling. But you're our phlemwad freak.

I like italics. I use them here 89% more often then I use them in my writing.

TrainofThought
11-26-2007, 05:13 AM
ToT will be swinging by any second, now that her beloved Bears have won. I'd write that in this forum, only. Maybe, in TIO. Probably not in politics, though.:hooray: :hooray:

To get back to the thread's subject matter, I think about what Iím going to type, consult with my muse, write it down, punctuate, rewrite, punctuate, rewrite and then post. Look how long it took me to post in this thread, and it had nothing to do with watching the Bearís win, eating chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheddar, a salad, potatoes and drinking a Smirnoff Pomegranate Fusion.

I take my posts seriously. Seriously. :D Eh, who am I kidding Iím a fly-by goofball whose only function on AW is to keep her TrainofThought on humor with an occasional opinion.

reigningcatsndogs
11-26-2007, 05:15 AM
My first thought was that I was the almost naked bikini clad supermodel draped over the carhood with a socket wrench tucked under my... poster, but apparently I am a slow poster and that's why it was already used.

I delete probably 70% of what I am about to post on most threads. There is nothing in common between how I write here and how I write anywhere else. And on some threads, almost 100% of my brilliant and inspirational messages are deleted before I hit 'submit'.

Jean Marie
11-26-2007, 05:17 AM
I told you she'd fly by, didn't I :D ToT, that is.

misslissy
11-26-2007, 05:23 AM
This kind:
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Garfield-Never-Wrong-Posters_i1249140_.htm

Elodie-Caroline
11-26-2007, 05:32 AM
I post how I talk most of the time, quickly and without thinking first :D

If I'm talking about writing, I mostly take it seriously. Everything else? ... I just use my dirty little mind hehehe ;)

Elodie

Well? Tell us.

So, what kind of poster are you, anyway?

Jersey Chick
11-26-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm also the type who thinks of things she should have posted in her first post, then posts to add what she should have added to the first post. :D

Williebee
11-26-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm more the day-glo, velvet-ty poster we used to find in the head shops when I was a kid. Now just a bit faded, with a torn corner or two.

nerds
11-26-2007, 05:42 AM
this kind -

http://www.nicknormal.com/normalblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/post-its-DC-4-20060627.jpg

hang on. What? Poster, not Post-its? Can't answer that, have no idea, seriously. Nifty question, though. :)

rhymegirl
11-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Kevin, the goofball creep cupcake bastard phlemwad freak of AW.

Ha ha ha! That works, too!

Okay, that's the kind of poster I am.

A thoughtful, witty, creative poster with a bit of naughtiness thrown in.

maestrowork
11-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Quick and dirty. ;)

I don't think I ever spent more than 10 minutes writing a post, even the long ones.

Silver King
11-26-2007, 06:03 AM
What really gets me sometimes is the edit function, like a week or so later, when it has no viable function whatsoever and shouldn't be used.

I sometimes forget about posts I've made, and then I'm reading along, feeling pretty good about myself, thinking I haven't said anything stupid lately; and then all of a sudden, I get smacked in the face by the most outrageous comment you can think of, and I ask myself, Did I really say that?

I reply, Of course not, and sleep good in the knowledge that it was my evil twin talking, not me.

Eskimo1990
11-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Hmm the kind of poster I am...

Most of what I write at first gets deleted. I take a long time to write any post, because I carefully think through everything I write on here. Too bad my normal writing isn't like that. I generally go back and read through it, and notice I've missed many key words...but on here..I type and post very slowly. Oh and I use the edit button a lot.

Susie
11-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm a timid kind of poster, wanting to say what I mean and mean it in a nice way.

Devil Ledbetter
11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm a timid kind of poster, wanting to say what I mean and mean it in a nice way.Susie, the kind of poster you are is the reppin' kind.;)

Pat~
11-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Hmm...I never thought about that before SK. So... I'll think about it as I type this...

First of all, I don't usually read a thread unless the topic appeals to me or gets my curiosity up somehow. Even after 2 years, there are several forums/threads I've never been on here, so I guess I'm mildly picky. But if the thread draws me in at all, I'll usually end up adding my 2 cents.

I'm not the fastest typist in the world, so I tend not to have too many typos--which I'll correct if I catch them. I type as I think, and rarely make changes, though sometimes I'll go back and add a sentence for clarity. But I never agonize over a post. When I'm done thinking, I'm done typing the post, and I hit 'submit reply.'

So...*yawn*...guess that makes me a mildly picky, 2-cents-adding, slow-typing, non-agonizing type of poster.

benbradley
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
this kind -

http://www.nicknormal.com/normalblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/post-its-DC-4-20060627.jpg

hang on. What? Poster, not Post-its? Can't answer that, have no idea, seriously. Nifty question, though. :)
You are A BEAUTIFUL Poster, as in the movie "A Beautiful Mind."

joetrain
11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm reading along, feeling pretty good about myself, thinking I haven't said anything stupid lately; and then all of a sudden, I get smacked in the face by the most outrageous comment you can think of

yup. often i look back on posts, even ones made a couple minutes before, and want them gone. for a few seconds i indulge a little self-contempt, then i decide it's best to leave the post as penance for my foolishness or witlessness. public shame will hopefully refine me into a more productive member.

this is sad considering that it usually takes a minute for me to compose a post the way i like it. i swear something happens between the submit reply button and when it's etched in the stone of the thread, something darkly beyond the words themselves.

and i usually think mine are too long. i'm looking at this one now and saying, "c'mon joe, surely you can sum it up with a little more finesse. i mean, your just rambling about your damn posting habits." i want to be one of those sum-it-all-up-in-one-funny-yet-insightful-line posters.

this is my burden.

but, besides all that crap, i type my posts with three fingers, just like i write stories.

Susie
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Susie, the kind of poster you are is the reppin' kind.;)

Guess who just got a reppie? You! :)

BardSkye
11-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Um... Intermittant. There are days when I join a heated discusion in Historical and post in other threads, then there are weeks when I lurk.

I'm a diplomat by nature: I try to make sure I don't trash anyone's day, but if I don't agree with someone in a discussion, I'll say so. If I don't agree with them and I'm not already involved in the discussion, I just don't post.

My mommy told me "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." Maybe that's why I so seldom talk.

nessam
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm a lurker mainly. When I do post I agonize over what to say or wish I had agonized more.

JoeEkaitis
11-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Post, then try to edit before the "Last edited by" flag appears. It's kind of like erasure ghosts.

Shadow_Ferret
11-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm a drive-by poster.

Backward Masking
11-26-2007, 09:46 PM
I really don't know what could be said about my "category." I mean, I am a bit of a loon. In all seriousness though, I just post whatever comes to mind.

~Cheers

benbradley
11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
For those who read my earlier post but maybe didn't quite "get it", please re-read my edited post #49 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1837869&postcount=49).

Thank you, Ben, with a not-quite-brilliant mind...