Synopsis

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
When an agent or publisher asks for a synopsis what is it that they are really wanting. Does anyone have any examples of a well written synopsis. Yes, I know the definition but I would like to have a better explanation.
Thank you

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
They want you to retell the entire story, from beginning to end, hitting all the key points, in a minimal amount of space. They're looking to see if it's a story they might interested in and if you can write.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
If you're asking how to write a synopsis, instead of what one is, I would suggest going through your manuscript and write 1-2 sentences summarizing each scene. String them together. Then go through and start rewriting and editing to make everything flow together. Cut things that, although may be necessary to the story, aren't key points. You'll need multiple passes. Keep rewriting and editing until everything reads smooth and flows and is the best you can possibly make it.

Then give it to another writer that you trust or post it in SYW. Let them tear it apart. Go back and fix it accordingly.

Repeat the entire process as necessary.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Here is an example of mine for Dead Dreams. This is the short version. The longer version is what Birol suggested.

-----------------------------

Synopsis for DEAD DREAMS

An anonymous tip leads Evan Davis, an investigative reporter, on a search for the truth that may ultimately cost him his life. The FBI is keeping a deadly secret from the public, but he doesn’t know why yet.

For several months, Evan pursues a series of leads into the mysterious disappearance of murder suspects who seem to vanish without leaving any clues behind. He knows that’s impossible, without help, because the murders are too appalling. The crime scenes are cleansed. Everything he uncovers is pointing him in the direction of the FBI.

When he gets too close, the FBI stages an accident to get him out of the way before he can tell the American public what he knows. But their scheme doesn’t work as planned. Instead, Evan enters the very same DEAD DREAMS they are trying to keep secret.

Drawn into the dead dream, Evan witnesses a terrible murder. He also encounters Jimmy, who will follow Evan to hell if it meant finishing what he began years earlier.

Jimmy’s blood red hair is pulled into a top knot that falls to his shoulders. He is interrupted by Evan from enjoying the spoils of his game. They confront each other in a few strides. Jimmy leaps at Evan. Instead of a slashing wound, Evan feels a sudden tug on his shoulder yanking him back through a vortex of white light that envelopes him completely. Jimmy follows.

Evan’s confrontation with one of America’s worst murderers, Jimmy, is only the beginning.

Knowing that he is in constant danger, Evan confides in Lt. Tran, his friend who works for the Phoenix Police Department, about his suspicions. Unknowingly, Tran shares what his learns from Evan with Sgt. Martinez, who is actually a government agent planted within the police department to keep track of their hitmen.

Tran is already investigating several random murders that defy logic or explanation. The police have only parts of the victims and no rationale motive for the murders.

Evan becomes increasing unstable because of recurring nightmares. What he doesn’t understand is that they are actually the terrible things Jimmy is doing. He is an unwilling participant in a nightmarish show that leaves him drained of emotion and quite possibly his sanity.

Tran’s investigation into several recent murders has an ironic twist. He learns that the two sets of prints found at a recent crime scene belong to Evan and Jimmy. He doesn’t understand how this is possible. Evan is in no shape to commit such a brutal murder. Tran has doubts and decides it’s time to visit Evan and get the truth.

Afraid for his girlfriend Linda’s life, Evan decides to tell her the truth. Or at least part of it. But it is too late when Jimmy traps Linda inside the art gallery where she works and demands Evan rescue her. Jimmy wants to finish the game so he can return to the dead dream.

Tran never suspects Martinez works for the FBI until he surprises him ransacking Evan’s home. Martinez is sent to find out what Evan knows and then kill anyone who discovers the truth. The confrontation leaves Martinez dead and Tran with a dilemma. He must find Evan and warn him before it’s too late.

Tran’s decision to help Evan is costly when he inadvertently interrupts Jimmy’s surprise for Evan. He is severely wounded in the brief confrontation that ensues. Jimmy uses this opportunity to force Linda back with him. Now it is Evan’s turn to decide whether he pursues Jimmy and save Linda or stay with his friend.

Evan doesn’t have a choice. He can’t allow the portal to remain open and follows Jimmy into the dead dream where he meets the man responsible for its creation. Henry Frick isn’t the sadistic mass murderer Evan expects. Instead, he is a brilliant scientist who escapes an early death and uses his own special serial killers as hitmen in exchange for being allowed by the FBI to pursue his own perverted fantasies.

Henry Frick laughs, menacingly pointing a sharpened fingernail at Evan, and leaps from a poster to land on a crack in the sidewalk. Slowly, his actions deliberate and methodical, he smoothes his ruffled clothing and straightens his bow tie. His face broadens into a devilish grin as he looks up and squares his shoulders. He focuses on Evan, throws his head back and laughs again. “Hello young man. It’s Evan, right?”

Henry takes them back to where it all started. He shows Evan his invention that allows him to create a portal into the living world using a combination of frequencies that he discovered by accident.

Evan can’t believe that he too has the special ability to decipher the same frequency used to send and retrieve the dead dream killers. Evan sets in motion events that will destroy the very machine that can return him to Linda and his life outside the dead dream. While the dead dream collapses around him he has one last chance to kill Jimmy and sends a bullet into his head. As the projectile ricochets inside Jimmy’s skull, Evan jumps into the last stitch of light from the dead dreams and returns to find Linda and Tran waiting for him.

Henry Frick is laying on the ground after Evan’s blow to his head. He isn’t aware of the little boy standing above Henry until it is too late. The child slams the axe through his skull. Henry is dead again. The dead dream is over as the world Henry Frick created begins to collapse. Evan must find a way to escape and return to his own world.

Linda gasps as Evan walks through the hospital doors into Tran’s room where he is recovering from his knife wounds. They may never fully understand everything that happened, but once his story is told, the America public will learn all about their incredible adventure.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Here is an example of mine for Dead Dreams. This is the short version. The longer version is what Birol suggested.

Not really. I have a one-page synopsis that was done as I suggested. Writing 1-3 sentences per scene is just the starting point. A lot of cutting and polishing happens afterwards.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Conflict, Tension & Stakes

When an agent or publisher asks for a synopsis what is it that they are really wanting.

If you're unpublished, what they want is to see how well you handle conflict, tension and stakes in your story. That's it.

Follow your main conflict from start to finish. No subplots, no themes, no big characterizations. Get names and roles of major players in. Keep it in third person, present tense and extremely ACTIVE verbs. Don't hide the climax.

By doing this, I can easily condense a 100-150K book into 1 single spaced page. I've yet not to get a request for a full by following this method in about 10 years, FWIW.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Not really. I have a one-page synopsis that was done as I suggested. Writing 1-3 sentences per scene is just the starting point. A lot of cutting and polishing happens afterwards.
The longer version is for a full synopsis. My posted version is about one page and is what I would send out unless the agent wanted a longer version.

This sample is more than five pages long:

Synopsis

EVAN DAVIS, an investigative reporter, receives an anonymous tip that suggests the FBI is underreporting the actual number violent crimes for the past ten years, but he doesn’t know why yet.

He is getting too close to the truth when they decide to have him killed. They stage an accident to get him out of the way.

Their scheme doesn’t work as planned. Instead, Evan is nearly killed, and enters the very same DEAD DREAMS they are trying to keep secret.

Evan confronts JIMMY (antagonist) again and they both return from the dead dream at the same time.

While Evan recovers from the accident, he decides to confide in LT. TRAN, his friend who works for the Phoenix Police Department, about his suspicions.

Tran is reluctant to believe everything Evan tells him without more proof. Evan promises to bring him something more tangible than a premise for a story.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My rule of thumb is to write a two or three sentence description for each chapter. Make sure it's not a dry relaying of facts. It should be both informative and creative, a showcase your writing ability, just succinctly.:D
Linnea

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My technique is this:

1. Write a short paragraph describe each chapter. Focus only on the main characters and main plot.

2. Pare that down to 10 pages, 5 pages, 2 pages, 1 page, and 2 paragraphs. There, you have a synopsis for every occasion.

3. Trim the fat (vague adjectives, adverbs, etc.); use strong verbs and nouns; be specific but skip the details.

4. Be sure to include the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.