Wikipedia writers

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just wondering, which of my fellow AW mates writes and edits things for Wikipedia?

Most of my articles are translations of Spanish articles about Venezuela; also I have uploaded some pictures

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have so little expertise compared to many, but I've corrected existing articles on Wikipedia, citing my sources and noting the origin of the misinformation and why it's wrong.

Maryn, not trusting anything there completely

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Each of my professors has noted that references from Wikipedia.com aren't going to be counted as part of our term papers because they feel it's not a reliable resource. I don't know if I agree or disagree because I've found both good and bad information listed there.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've made some very minor edits, and a silly-vandalism revert. Haven't written a real article or whatever. Once I started looking for more guidance than "Be Bold!" and such offered me, I stumbled over userboxen, and found huge amounts of "wikipedia help" that was "helpful" but didn't answer my specific questions. I think it's a bit too much of an anarchy, especially when you get into controversial topics.

Regardless, I often look in the history and discussion of an entry to see what might have been deleted.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Each of my professors has noted that references from Wikipedia.com aren't going to be counted as part of our term papers because they feel it's not a reliable resource. I don't know if I agree or disagree because I've found both good and bad information listed there.
Well, there's another thing with citing. If you cite a printed work, you have to include the publication date (usually just the year) and the edition, if there's more than one edition. Likewise, when you cite Wikiledia (should you decided to do so...) you have to include the date and time you accessed the entry, as it can change at any time. But with date and time included, someone else can go to the entry's history and at least verify that it said what you said it did at that time.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
That's very true. I wonder if this stipulation is in place because they don't want to take the time to do this? I wouldn't blame them considering the amount of papers they have to read and grade. I've had an editor say they didn't accept Wikiepedia as a resource, either. So, I use it mostly for personal research or for articles I write for suite101 (because it's pretty much open content).

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I have so little expertise compared to many, but I've corrected existing articles on Wikipedia, citing my sources and noting the origin of the misinformation and why it's wrong.

Maryn, not trusting anything there completely

I wouldn't trust it either. I mean not for specific things. I usually use it for tv information and broad questions. Like information on diabetes. General government information. You know, simple stuff.

My profs say the same thing. But they do all say that it's a good place to START a search. Also a few of my teachers have pages. Which is how we found out that my government prof had been to jail like three times. For activism. He was a cool guy.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to write an article for Scholarpedia in January, which is a whole different thing. For one, it has an academic editor and the articles are all peer-reviewed. After writing it, I become a co-editor for that article, with a say on any potential additions or changes. If anyone wants to look for peer-reviewed articles, check out Scholarpedia. It's relatively new, and its scope is limited, but it's expanding constantly.