What does "quick" mean in agent speak?

ello

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elloecho.blogspot.com
I've got partials out with agents - one said she'd give a quick response, the other said he'd give a prompt review. I'm just trying to decipher what "quick" and "prompt" might mean in agentese. And I've been waiting 4 weeks on the prompt and nearly 3 on the quick. Perhaps I shouldn't place any weight on these terms? ;)

Just wanted to know if others have been told quick or prompt and how much time it actually took.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Maprilynne nailed it. i had an agent told me he'd read something over the weekend. nine months later and i still haven't heard back.

give your partial 4-6 weeks and then follow up if you want. good luck!

carlywrites

Publishing does not function like any other profession I know. Snails would be appalled. Think in terms of months rather than weeks or days.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed here for you, ello! Yay for the partials!!

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
no matter how long it takes ... don't give up!

Publishing does not function like any other profession I know. Snails would be appalled. Think in terms of months rather than weeks or days.

A true story: Last March I finished the latest draft of a story and queried a handful of agents with little favorable response. One agent asked for the first three chapters. Time went by with no further action Meanwhile I have written another story, sent out queries ... and another, more queries and a third. The good news is one of the later three has been accepted by an agent ... but in my haste, after all it is November, I have placed the first story in the Unpublishable file. When Lo and Behold, this morning I received a 'thank you but no thank you' reject from that first agent concerning the first story. Apparently she is one busy lady...
The lesson is ... don't give up, don't throw it away and keep writing. As Carly said, Agents work at a rather interesting pace.