• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

indenting first line of paragraphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

first time writer

Registered
Reaction score
some epubs want 0.2 inch tabs set. excuse my naievete but does that mean when you start a new paragraph, you press the space bar 2 times to start the paragaraph?

Thands

Newport2Newport

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyeshore.com
If you're using Word, you can set the tab spacing so it happens automatically when you start a new paragraph. On the menu bar, choose Format>Tab, then change the default setting to 0.2.

Also, you might want to use the formatting options available in Word to create an ePub Style that includes this specific setting. It might take a while to figure things out, but it's worth it, not to have to (re)invent the wheel for each new project. Good luck!

Danthia

You can check their site for specs, but I think you're better off setting your indents in the "paragraph" section of your document. I design magazines for a living, and anytime I get copy in with tabs for indents I have to go in and take them out manually and that's really a pain. I can only imagine how bad it would be for a whole novel. I assume the publishers have a layout program they're using to format the book, and setting some kind of style that automatically indents paragraphs to their specs is likely. It's easier to do that if you have yours set to paragraphs and not tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.