What's your New Year's Resolution? And will you really keep it?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I know it's only November, but if the shops are decked out in Christmas decorations already, then it's not too early to start talking about resolutions.

Mine is to have:
(a) less computer time
(b) more time with friends (no offence to any of you lovely people!)
(c) more quality time with my kids and husband
(d) get back into meditating and relaxing.
(e) get back into writing that play I've been talking about for years
(f) write some short stories

What about you?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me...
... more exercise routine, start adding jogging again.
... finish first draft of current wip
... prepare my cottage for unexpected AW visitor, before they come, in Jan. Yeah! I. Am. So. Excited.!!!

Reaction score
I gave up making resolutions years ago. If something needs changing, I change it now, not January. And I think having one day to completely turn everything around is too much pressure. Baby steps, an' all that...

Strange, as I'm normally an all-or-nothing person, but when it comes to cutting out bad habits or cultivating good ones, I start small, make those habits routine, then add a bit more.

For instance, write 500 words a day. Then when that's my 'baseline', my default setting, I say, "Try for 750." And so on. Not just writing, but other things too.

Reaction score
I only drink on the weekend as it is. But my resolution will be to quit drinking on the weekends..essentially quit drinking altogether for about two months.

I will not keep it.

Thank you.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i thought of one. but then i forgot. if i remember again i might.

i did it once. nails and football. Never Again. (those two, at any rate)

Mine is to have:
(a) more computer time
(b) more time with friends - because
(c) see (a) for details

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's only November, but if the shops are decked out in Christmas decorations already, then it's not too early to start talking about resolutions.

Mine is to have:
(a) less computer time
(b) more time with friends (no offence to any of you lovely people!)
(c) more quality time with my kids and husband
(d) get back into meditating and relaxing.
(e) get back into writing that play I've been talking about for years
(f) write some short stories

What about you?

My New Year's Resolutions are as follows (and subject to change without notice):
1) Less Computer Time.
2) Finding some friends to spend time with outside of my building and outside of the 'Net.
3) Broaden my horizons within writing -- adding genres, and doing more short stories, as well as getting back into Erotica, which I highly enjoy writing and reading.
4) Be more stable in decision-making and sticking with what I've decided to do.
5) Start looking for a girlfriend -- I'm not going to find one sitting on my duff all day ... unless I go to some online dating sites. But I really need to get out there and look for someone to spend some serious time with. I'll never find such a person if I don't look.

I'm sure there will be other New Year's Resolutions, but these are the biggies for me right now.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
hahaha

1) be on the fast track to living in a craphole apartment in a former yugoslav nation for the rest of my life

2) ...get into college.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I never make any new year's resolutions and I feel really good that I've been able to attain my goal. :)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm usually the type who goes way-overboard when it comes to making New Year's Resolutions. I even went as far as starting a community over at livejournal.com focusing on making and achieving goals for 2007. :) Aggressive. That's me.

This year, though, because I feel so emotionally burned out on so many things, I need to focus on myself for once . . . rather than being so goal oriented toward career, family, and stuff like that.

So, I'm revisiting some of my old stand-by's this year:
  1. start Simple Abundance again
  2. start morning pages again
  3. start doing artist dates again
  4. make time for tea and reading something that interests me (not something I *have* to read for work or school)
  5. make time to bake
This list will grow, of course, because that's just how I am. Then, it'll shink again during the last part of the year. Because, yep, that's just how I am. :)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe somebody (who is more industrious than I) should find last years New Years resolutions thread to see if any us of actually did them. It is a good way to get things started, write (errr) right?

Get into grad school is my very simple and highly achievable resolution that does not need to be New Years related.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything as formal as resolutions, but I have good intentions and a mental list going all the time.

1. Less unproductive time online (AW time is fine, but goofing around is not.)
2. Sew more. I like it, I'm good at it, and I don't do it because I'm chubby and a new garment doesn't change that.
3. Return to my former habit of cleaning one room each day, Monday through Friday, as much as time allows. Over a period of months, the horror that is the family room would not have happened if I'd kept to this plan.
4. Return to my former habit of doing one load of wash a day, Monday through Friday. Or give up underwear.
5. Make an appointment with myself to read more, in the daytime when I'm not yet too tired both to enjoy and remember what I just read. How does 5:00 p.m. reading time grab ya?
6. Submit my writing and convince myself rejection doesn't mean it's awful. This may take hypnosis, or brain surgery.

Maryn, whose list of good intentions is ridiculously long