Status
Not open for further replies.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I belong to a number of forums, and I come up with my own content on the spot. (As you do) I posted a thread on this forum a while back, called 'the concept of sex', and just now received a message from the owner, that it had been copied and pasted to another site. I visited this site, and the person is using it as their own. I'm flattered that they did that, but at the same time there wouldn't be any harm in paraphrasing the content, or even printing the authors name. I just sent an e-mail to the owner of this site, and asked why did that, and asked why couldn't they have talked to me about it before as a sign of respect. Well the response, is that it's their forum, and he brings in content every day and it doesn't matter where it comes from. I find it a little sad that there is no mutual understanding or respect.

He replied back, and admitted

No, I don't respect you, you earn my respect. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, you register to my website and your first post is what you wrote

It's not like a piece of "published" poetry.. nor can you even "prove" it's "your words"

I didn't reply to that, as I didnt want to get sucked up in the negative energy. I feel alot happier, for understanding the person though.

(P.S-I didn't know where to put this)

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Plagiarism by convenience is never a good defense. If the site owner isn't on a dedicated server but purchasing bandwidth from a public domain, email the provider.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Holy crap. Not allowed. Provide links.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Interesting, now he has banned me from the site.

I have had this happened before. Someone was a member of my forum, in which I wrote every forum rule. They copied and pasted, my 'moderators' content into their site. Once confrounted, they chose to ignore it. I replied to the thread and asked why they had done that, they kept deleting my posts. Eventually a few weeks later, they deleted my content on their own accordance.

I don't get how hard it is to create your own content based on your own experiences? I mean afterall if your taking the initiative to create a forum, then why not follow it through and write your own content?

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed the site admin has no public information on display in his profile and the 'snitches get stitches' tagline says immature.

Here is the source page for that MB:

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/off-topic-forums.com
listing the information, which is public domain.

ETA: Interesting. The admin gives out personal info in *her* first post but the registrant for the site is a guy.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
talked to me about it before as a sign of respect.
this is the first rule. all others (including the law fall after) YMMV

he said that to you? the quoted bit? whatta *** ***** ****** ***>

i don't want to get into this. where are our ... ahem ... you know.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
this is the first rule. all others (including the law fall after) YMMV

he said that to you? the quoted bit? whatta *** ***** ****** ***>

i don't want to get into this. where are our ... ahem ... you know.

Even if not law, it's human nature to have at least some respect for other's consideration.

Yeah, he said that to me. I asked whether he respected me, and he's response was that.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
that's why I said 1st:
it's human nature to have at least some respect for other's consideration.

apparently there are some among us ....they walk, talk, and write. hmph.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
This kind of behavior irritates me so much. How can this guy/girl (whatever they are) say you can't prove the words are your own when the original forum post has a date and time posted along with the content. Duh. Sounds like proof to me. Grr. This gets under my skin. And it's still posted up there, too!!!! ** sighs **

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I noticed the site admin has no public information on display in his profile and the 'snitches get stitches' tagline says immature.

Here is the source page for that MB:

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/off-topic-forums.com
listing the information, which is public domain.

ETA: Interesting. The admin gives out personal info in *her* first post but the registrant for the site is a guy.

So from that, I can e-mail the provider which is godaddy? Or it won't make any difference?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or it won't make any difference?

most likely it WILL. If you have documentation.

Shoot.
Scores!

ETA: True might be too nice to get the job done. :)
go for it. I think you can. ;)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
This kind of behavior irritates me so much. How can this guy/girl (whatever they are) say you can't prove the words are your own when the original forum post has a date and time posted along with the content. Duh. Sounds like proof to me. Grr. This gets under my skin. And it's still posted up there, too!!!! ** sighs **

Oh yeah your right. Thanks.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
most likely it WILL. If you have documentation.

Shoot.
Scores!

ETA: True might be too nice to get the job done. :)
go for it. I think you can. ;)

I'm not sure now, sounds too drastic and I don't like over invanding even if people don't respect me. This person has also copied and pasted everything from the first website I posted my content on, as the owner has issues with them too.

Last edited:

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ

Os.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

Os.

Lol. Even that is funny. I do see it as a form of flattery more though.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com

Os.
:rant:

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Lol. Even that is funny. I do see it as a form of flattery more though.
That's how I felt the first time I saw my articles on content sites, but it still isn't right. There's a line that just shouldn't be crossed. Ideas are one thing, but word for word is another. It starts out as a simple forum post (that they feel they can get away with) and then it turns into larger pieces of work eventually.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure now, sounds too drastic and I don't like over invanding even if people don't respect me. This person has also copied and pasted everything from the first website I posted my content on, as the owner has issues with them too.
see, i said you were too nice. i used to be that way myself.

then ....

Look! >>>> there's help!
the owner has issues with them too.
potentially. ;)

Last edited:

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
That's how I felt the first time I saw my articles on content sites, but it still isn't right. There's a line that just shouldn't be crossed. Ideas are one thing, but word for word is another. It starts out as a simple forum post (that they feel they can get away with) and then it turns into larger pieces of work eventually.

Thanks to the internet I haven't had a single original thought in five years.

Os.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com

I agree. That's why it got to me, but at the same time I wanted to understand why they had done that.

see, i said you were too nice. i used to be that way myself.

then ....

Look! >>>> there's help! potentially. ;)

I don't think it's a matter of being too nice, it's just seeing it for what it is and not getting too over on yourself or the person. I like to reach a medium point, between two people and understand both angles. I fully understand the other angle, and I'm happy that I have gained an answer. I don't think pushing it forward, will make me feel any better. In fact, it'll be a very draining process both for me and the other person, and that is never a good sign of accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.