PDA

View Full Version : People using your own personal content on their sites

truelyana
11-23-2007, 04:37 PM
I belong to a number of forums, and I come up with my own content on the spot. (As you do) I posted a thread on this forum a while back, called 'the concept of sex', and just now received a message from the owner, that it had been copied and pasted to another site. I visited this site, and the person is using it as their own. I'm flattered that they did that, but at the same time there wouldn't be any harm in paraphrasing the content, or even printing the authors name. I just sent an e-mail to the owner of this site, and asked why did that, and asked why couldn't they have talked to me about it before as a sign of respect. Well the response, is that it's their forum, and he brings in content every day and it doesn't matter where it comes from. I find it a little sad that there is no mutual understanding or respect.

He replied back, and admitted

No, I don't respect you, you earn my respect. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, you register to my website and your first post is what you wrote

It's not like a piece of "published" poetry.. nor can you even "prove" it's "your words"

I didn't reply to that, as I didnt want to get sucked up in the negative energy. I feel alot happier, for understanding the person though.

(P.S-I didn't know where to put this)

Rolling Thunder
11-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Plagiarism by convenience is never a good defense. If the site owner isn't on a dedicated server but purchasing bandwidth from a public domain, email the provider.

KTC
11-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Holy crap. Not allowed. Provide links.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
http://off-topic-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1008

truelyana
11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Plagiarism by convenience is never a good defense. If the site owner isn't on a dedicated server but purchasing bandwidth from a public domain, email the provider.

What can you do to find out?

truelyana
11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Interesting, now he has banned me from the site.

I have had this happened before. Someone was a member of my forum, in which I wrote every forum rule. They copied and pasted, my 'moderators' content into their site. Once confrounted, they chose to ignore it. I replied to the thread and asked why they had done that, they kept deleting my posts. Eventually a few weeks later, they deleted my content on their own accordance.

I don't get how hard it is to create your own content based on your own experiences? I mean afterall if your taking the initiative to create a forum, then why not follow it through and write your own content?

Rolling Thunder
11-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I noticed the site admin has no public information on display in his profile and the 'snitches get stitches' tagline says immature.

Here is the source page for that MB:

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/off-topic-forums.com
listing the information, which is public domain.

ETA: Interesting. The admin gives out personal info in *her* first post but the registrant for the site is a guy.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:11 PM
talked to me about it before as a sign of respect.
this is the first rule. all others (including the law fall after) YMMV

he said that to you? the quoted bit? whatta *** ***** ****** ***>

i don't want to get into this. where are our ... ahem ... you know.

seun
11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
He sounds like a cock. And I can say that because he hasn't earned my respect.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
this is the first rule. all others (including the law fall after) YMMV

he said that to you? the quoted bit? whatta *** ***** ****** ***>

i don't want to get into this. where are our ... ahem ... you know.

Even if not law, it's human nature to have at least some respect for other's consideration.

Yeah, he said that to me. I asked whether he respected me, and he's response was that.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
that's why I said 1st:
it's human nature to have at least some respect for other's consideration.

apparently there are some among us ....they walk, talk, and write. hmph.

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 05:21 PM
This kind of behavior irritates me so much. How can this guy/girl (whatever they are) say you can't prove the words are your own when the original forum post has a date and time posted along with the content. Duh. Sounds like proof to me. Grr. This gets under my skin. And it's still posted up there, too!!!! ** sighs **

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I noticed the site admin has no public information on display in his profile and the 'snitches get stitches' tagline says immature.

Here is the source page for that MB:

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/off-topic-forums.com
listing the information, which is public domain.

ETA: Interesting. The admin gives out personal info in *her* first post but the registrant for the site is a guy.

So from that, I can e-mail the provider which is godaddy? Or it won't make any difference?

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Or it won't make any difference?

most likely it WILL. If you have documentation.

Shoot.
Scores!

ETA: True might be too nice to get the job done. :)
go for it. I think you can. ;)

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
This kind of behavior irritates me so much. How can this guy/girl (whatever they are) say you can't prove the words are your own when the original forum post has a date and time posted along with the content. Duh. Sounds like proof to me. Grr. This gets under my skin. And it's still posted up there, too!!!! ** sighs **

Oh yeah your right. Thanks.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
most likely it WILL. If you have documentation.

Shoot.
Scores!

ETA: True might be too nice to get the job done. :)
go for it. I think you can. ;)

I'm not sure now, sounds too drastic and I don't like over invanding even if people don't respect me. This person has also copied and pasted everything from the first website I posted my content on, as the owner has issues with them too.

oswann
11-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Os.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Os.

Lol. Even that is funny. I do see it as a form of flattery more though.

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Os.
:rant:

oswann
11-23-2007, 05:37 PM

:tongue

Os.

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Lol. Even that is funny. I do see it as a form of flattery more though.
That's how I felt the first time I saw my articles on content sites, but it still isn't right. There's a line that just shouldn't be crossed. Ideas are one thing, but word for word is another. It starts out as a simple forum post (that they feel they can get away with) and then it turns into larger pieces of work eventually.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure now, sounds too drastic and I don't like over invanding even if people don't respect me. This person has also copied and pasted everything from the first website I posted my content on, as the owner has issues with them too.
see, i said you were too nice. i used to be that way myself.

then ....

Look! >>>> there's help!
the owner has issues with them too.potentially. ;)

oswann
11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
That's how I felt the first time I saw my articles on content sites, but it still isn't right. There's a line that just shouldn't be crossed. Ideas are one thing, but word for word is another. It starts out as a simple forum post (that they feel they can get away with) and then it turns into larger pieces of work eventually.

Thanks to the internet I haven't had a single original thought in five years.

Os.

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Os.
:roll:

Isn't there another thread knocking around here somewhere about how there's no such thing as original thought anymore? It was a LONG time ago . . . :)

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:48 PM

I agree. That's why it got to me, but at the same time I wanted to understand why they had done that.

see, i said you were too nice. i used to be that way myself.

then ....

Look! >>>> there's help! potentially. ;)

I don't think it's a matter of being too nice, it's just seeing it for what it is and not getting too over on yourself or the person. I like to reach a medium point, between two people and understand both angles. I fully understand the other angle, and I'm happy that I have gained an answer. I don't think pushing it forward, will make me feel any better. In fact, it'll be a very draining process both for me and the other person, and that is never a good sign of accomplishment.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Os.

i'm sorry.

You need ....

PHENTERMINE!

KTC
11-23-2007, 05:49 PM
i'm sorry.

You need ....

PHENTERMINE!

Damn. That's what I was going to say.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I agree. That's why it got to me, but at the same time I wanted to understand why they had done that.

I don't think it's a matter of being too nice, it's just seeing it for what it is and not getting too over on yourself or the person. I like to reach a medium point, between two people and understand both angles. I fully understand the other angle, and I'm happy that I have gained an answer. I don't think pushing it forward, will make me feel any better. In fact, it'll be a very draining process both for me and the other person, and that is never a good sign of accomplishment.
that's very Zen of you True but if he's done it to you he will do it to others. maybe even me.

it's stealing and it's wrong. Yes, stealing.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:51 PM
that's very Zen of you True but if he's done it to you he will do it to others. maybe even me.

it's stealing and it's wrong. Yes, stealing.

I told him/her that too, he/she said I'm seeing things and that he/she can get professional people on the forum, to proove it isn't.

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I told him that too, he said I'm seeing things and that he can get professional people on the forum, to proove it isn't.

no he can't.

ideas cannot be copyrighted.

word for word can be copyrighted.

YMMV. don't believe me? ask a copyright attorney. pish posh. some people are aggrrravating, are they not? he's a dope. you aren't. nanynany boo boo.

stop it Kevin.

i don't begrudge anyone making a living. is he selling ads on his space? i'm sorry he's too talentless to make his own content. maybe he can BUY YOURS.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 05:57 PM
no he can't.

ideas cannot be copyrighted.

word for word can be copyrighted.

YMMV. don't believe me? ask a copyright attorney. pish posh. some people are aggrrravating, are they not? he's a dope. you aren't. nanynany boo boo.

stop it Kevin.

I thought that too, it was only a bluff. I didn't want to get into further conversation with the person, as they were turning everything around on themselfs. I choose to stay away from that kind of energy, as usually I get dragged down quickly with the presence of the person. That's not something I am open to anymore. I see it for what it is, and want to find out their story and then back away, once I have that information. It's like a deep aknowledgement of the moment.

kalel32
11-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes, but by pursuing it they may think twice about stealing something that is not theirs.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, but by pursuing it they may think twice about stealing something that is not theirs.

I'm not pursuing this, as I don't want to accomplish anything out of it. I have made the other owner aware of this information though, as their whole site, has been copied by the other person.

Rolling Thunder
11-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure Mr. Anderson would pitch a bitch though if any of his photographs were stolen and pasted up on the web without attribution.

I've looked over the site and, personally, it reeks of 'lookit me! lookit me!' personalities. It's probably not worth the effort, True.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure Mr. Anderson would pitch a bitch though if any of his photographs were stolen and pasted up on the web without attribution.

I've looked over the site and, personally, it reeks of 'lookit me! lookit me!' personalities. It's probably not worth the effort, True.

As said, before I have understood the persons motives. That's enough for me.

kalel32
11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
*Puts pitchfork down and sighs*

Rolling Thunder
11-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Don't worry, kalel. There will be other opportunities. :D

wyntermoon
11-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Dang it. I miss all the fun.
*snuffs out torch*

truelyana
11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok, an e-mail has now been sent to godaddy by the first owner. I encouraged her to do it, and I forwarded her that information you found out Rllgthunder. Thanks :)

Silver King
11-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm not an expert in copyright laws, but I believe that posts here are protected and cannot be lifted and used elsewhere without attribution or the author's consent, which would clearly constitute plagiarism.

This thread really needs to be in an area where folks with more experience in these matters can chime in; so let's try the Roundtable forum and see what members there have to say.

truelyana
11-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm not an expert in copyright laws, but I believe that posts here are protected and cannot be lifted and used elsewhere without attribution or the author's consent, which would clearly constitute plagiarism.

This thread really needs to be in an area where folks with more experience in these matters can chime in; so let's try the Roundtable forum and see what members there have to say.

The original website, which i posted my content has copyright laws;

All Copyrights & Trademarks Owned By Their Respective User
Comments Made By Posters Are Copyright Of The Poster

I told her to use that in the e-mail, and as you all have pointed out it is clearly 'plagiarism'. Thank you for moving the thread. :)

truelyana
11-23-2007, 10:35 PM
What would be the next phase after e-mailing? As the owner doesn't want it to go on and on.

Medievalist
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
This is a violation of the DMCA and you can take measures (http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stopping-internet-plagiarism/4-contacting-the-host/), up to and including getting the offending site shut down.

This is not OK.

For the whole process, start here (http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stopping-internet-plagiarism/).

truelyana
11-23-2007, 10:55 PM
This is a violation of the DMCA and you can take measures (http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stopping-internet-plagiarism/4-contacting-the-host/), up to and including getting the offending site shut down.

This is not OK.

For the whole process, start here (http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stopping-internet-plagiarism/).

Thank you very much. I have passed this information on. What if the person just starts up again, on a different host, and continue to do the same thing? Then what?

Medievalist
11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Thank you very much. I have passed this information on. What if the person just starts up again, on a different host, and continue to do the same thing? Then what?

You can pursue the same process, or, if the host doesn't respond properly, and you've followed the steps correctly, you can collect very large amounts of money, easily enough that finding a lawyer isn't going to be difficult.

ISPs take this very very seriously. You want to be courteous, you want to be specific, and you want to follow the steps exactly.

And, while it's sorta unofficial, ISPs do talk about bad customers; word gets around about a domain to not host.

Azure Skye
11-25-2007, 03:24 AM
I've had this happen to me before. I posted something very heartfelt on a forum where I was one of the regulars and it showed up on another site that I never posted on, but occasionally lurked. The guy who posted it changed a few words around, the ones dealing with the fact that he was a man and me, the creator was a female, but everything else was word for word. Someone emailed me about it and I contacted the admin of the site and he very respectfully deleted the offending post.

I like the idea of passing something good along but I do believe in giving credit to where it belongs. Claiming something is yours when it's not is just, I don't know, slimey.

It's a shame that guy didn't handle the situation better.

ETA: must learn to read ahead before posting.

Unique
11-25-2007, 04:10 AM
i don't charge for anything. no ads. im showing off new talent.

if you have your own $$ maker - fine. ill take it down. if you want people to see it. . . leave it up. i steal nothing. i share.

mai kttez let me show you them. if thought i could find you, i'd look.

I'm a TechNoNot. HTML? How To Make L ... crazzee

JMO

jst5150
11-25-2007, 04:14 AM
Let's go rumble with these Jets .... :-)

Birol
11-25-2007, 04:31 AM
True, I'm glad that you've decided to take action on this matter. It's very important that you do so. By not following up, you've effectively given up control of the distribution and use of your work, regardless of what it is. I know that it could potentially be stressful, but sometimes, doing the right thing is. It does not make it any less important for you to assert your claim to copyright. By not doing so, you potentially allow others to use your rights as they will in the future, because you're establishing a precedent of behavior that could be difficult to change. You also are potentially protecting others from the individual who stole from you by letting him know that it is not okay and that there are consequences to his actions.

Just so you know, I've discovered that one of my blog posts, including comments that others made, was illegally copied to to another site for discussion. I tried to politely e-mail the person responsible to say, "That's not cool. Please take it down," but the e-mail did not go through. I have since reported the post and followed the actions they asked me to do in order to prove that the copyright to the article is mine.

It may feel like you are being punished as the victim, that it's taking time and energy that you do not have, but it is important to make certain that you do not knowingly allow your copyright to be violated.

Rolling Thunder
11-25-2007, 05:11 AM
I notice the 'Website Owner' has decided that True's post was 'trolling'. What a jerk.

truelyana
11-25-2007, 05:27 AM
True, I'm glad that you've decided to take action on this matter. It's very important that you do so. By not following up, you've effectively given up control of the distribution and use of your work, regardless of what it is. I know that it could potentially be stressful, but sometimes, doing the right thing is. It does not make it any less important for you to assert your claim to copyright. By not doing so, you potentially allow others to use your rights as they will in the future, because you're establishing a precedent of behavior that could be difficult to change. You also are potentially protecting others from the individual who stole from you by letting him know that it is not okay and that there are consequences to his actions.

Just so you know, I've discovered that one of my blog posts, including comments that others made, was illegally copied to to another site for discussion. I tried to politely e-mail the person responsible to say, "That's not cool. Please take it down," but the e-mail did not go through. I have since reported the post and followed the actions they asked me to do in order to prove that the copyright to the article is mine.

It may feel like you are being punished as the victim, that it's taking time and energy that you do not have, but it is important to make certain that you do not knowingly allow your copyright to be violated.

The owner of the first site, discovered that her e-mail was not valid and they only accept letters. I told her to give the letter a go, and see what happens.

I notice the 'Website Owner' has decided that True's post was 'trolling'. What a jerk.

Yeah, I've just seen that.

Unique
11-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Excuse me?

Does anyone else find that odd?

A letter? Show her your papertrail. Signed by your attorney.
a paper trail over the internet. how