PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday?

ZannaPerry
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm sure some of you have heard of Black Friday. It's only the most dangerous shopping day of the entire year. It's right after Thanksgiving where you get to meet the crazy people who love to shop and will literally do just about anything to get the great deals.

Are you a crazy shopper in disguise??

nessam
11-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Totally, though you will not find me anywhere near a walmart, kmart, or target on black Friday.

Voyager
11-23-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm so excited, I've got girl wood!

ZannaPerry
11-23-2007, 04:12 AM
I am a crazy shopper, too! Last year I had to work at Target in the ELECTRONICS! Yeah, it wasn't fun. I never sold soooo many iPODs in my life!

And call my even crazier but I don't plan on going to sleep tonight. I have to be at Kohls store early to get some down comforters for a VERY good price!

Voyager
11-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Mervyn's is open, open, open, at four. Weeeeeeeeee, I'm all a-tingle.

ZannaPerry
11-23-2007, 04:15 AM
I am going to tempt to take my niece shopping later in the morning with me. My mom and I are the crazy ones. We love it!

WendyNYC
11-23-2007, 04:15 AM
There are people camping out tonight in the rain, on a NYC street, in front of the Best Buy near my apartment.

That's crazy.

ZannaPerry
11-23-2007, 04:21 AM
They're already camping out?! That is sort of nuts. What time is it up there?? It's only 7:30pm here in Indianapolis.

I know people who hang out Walmart all night long and keep the things that are going on sale in the early morning and then they go and purchase the item just to get the good deal. That is just simply crazy! I have better things to do the night before. I need to save my energy. But I can't really say much because I plan on sitting in my car at least a half hour before Kohls opens at 4am.

sunna
11-23-2007, 04:23 AM
No no no. Uh uh.

I try not even to drive on Black Friday. Too many people, all elbowing each other for toys and snatching at gadgets...nope. Makes me claustrophobic just thinking about it.

WendyNYC
11-23-2007, 04:24 AM
They're already camping out?! That is sort of nuts. What time is it up there?? It's only 7:30pm here in Indianapolis.

I know people who hang out Walmart all night long and keep the things that are going on sale in the early morning and then they go and purchase the item just to get the good deal. That is just simply crazy! I have better things to do the night before. I need to save my energy. But I can't really say much because I plan on sitting in my car at least a half hour before Kohls opens at 4am.

It's 7:30 here, and I saw them at 5:30. I thought it was a large gathering of homeless people at first.

Devil Ledbetter
11-23-2007, 04:25 AM
I despise shopping and wouldn't set foot in a store on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I try to get most of my gift shopping done before Thanksgiving anyway, so I can avoid the crowds.

So, black Friday doesn't bother me because I'm not a part of it.

My sympathies are with all the poor souls working in retail tomorrow, and one poor soul in particular. Hugs, babe.

Unique
11-23-2007, 04:35 AM
i'm not there either. done in july or i don't have it. if i can find it.

veinglory
11-23-2007, 05:06 AM
I am doing my first Black Friday at the mall tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

Unique
11-23-2007, 05:12 AM
OMG. you never? bless you.

ishtar'sgate
11-23-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm sure some of you have heard of Black Friday. It's only the most dangerous shopping day of the entire year. It's right after Thanksgiving where you get to meet the crazy people who love to shop and will literally do just about anything to get the great deals.

Are you a crazy shopper in disguise??
Nope, but I have my own BLACK day. One of the first times my daughter's boyfriend took her out, they were gone all night. He got a real earfull from her enraged and ranting mother when he brought her home. Now she's marrying the guy and that night is solemnly referred to as 'Black Sunday'. I'll probably never hear the end of it.
Linnea

BenPanced
11-23-2007, 06:54 AM
I hate hate HATE HATE shopping to begin with. There's virtually nothing you could say or do to get me in a department store or mall on the day after Thanksgiving.

And for ghods's sakes, would it be possible for the local news to stop leading in with stories about it tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday?!

GAH! Where's mah "medicine"?!

PattiTheWicked
11-23-2007, 08:07 AM
If I can't make it myself or order it online, it aint' a good gift.

I hate to shop, I hate crowds, and I *really* hate shopping in crowds.

astonwest
11-23-2007, 08:10 AM
There was a packed parking lot as I drove past a CompUSA this evening around 9. Turns out they were having an early-bird special ahead of Black Friday.

People are weird...

joyce
11-23-2007, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't leave the house tomorrow if I didn't have to get dog food. My sister-in-law has her alarm set so she can be at the mall by 4 a.m. to start shopping. I hate shopping to begin with, so the dogs just might get a special mommy made meal tomorrow just so I don't have to get on the streets. The shoppers out tomorrow are braver people than I am.

ZannaPerry
11-23-2007, 08:46 AM
The stores aren't so bad later in the mornings and afternoons, even at night. It's mostly early, early morning.

My parents use to go every year up until the last few years because three years in a row they almost came close to a car accident, or jail time. People are just so damn crazy on this day. I try to get their early enough already with my game plan and then get the hell out of dodge.

And it's so sad to see people act this way. All the advertisments, and commercials. Now, don't get me wrong I love watching people embarress themselves but....it sort of takes away the meaning of Christmas. I already got the one present I wanted to get this year because it has meaning behind it. Not because of the great deal I got on it.

But now I am in the process of my no-sleep night, sleep all day phase. It's nuts.

VEINGLORY: I wish you all the luck in the world! BE CAREFUL!!!!

KTC
11-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm so excited, I've got girl wood!

Bring it to the mall. You're going to need something to help you fight the crowds.

KTC
11-23-2007, 08:53 AM
In Canada, Boxing Day is the biggest shopping day of the year. I'd rather pull my eyes out through my ears than go to the mall on that day.

kristie911
11-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I went shopping on Black Friday once...about 10 years ago. I wanted a computer that was on sale at Office Max. There was such a huge crowd and they were so unruly that the Sheriff Department Mounted Division (the guys on horseback) were there to keep them under control until the store opened.

I've never seen such insanity in my life...and since I never plan to repeat the experience, I hope I never will again. Nothing on earth is worth that!

threedogpeople
11-23-2007, 11:40 AM
In Canada, Boxing Day is the biggest shopping day of the year. I'd rather pull my eyes out through my ears than go to the mall on that day.

You are singing my song...Black Friday also marks the end of my shopping on Fridays and weekends until after January 1st. Can't stand the traffic, the crowds, the overheated stores and the stressed people...

My shopping will be completed via the web or in the middle of the week with the retired folks.

ZannaPerry
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Uhhh, it's almost 3am here. I was just watching the news on the LIVE feed and there are people camping out of Best Buy like down the street where I live. Well, quite a ways down the street, but that is just plain nuts. I'm getting ready to head out. Nobody knows I am leaving except my mom. My dad wasn't too keen on the idea, and I don't think he really even knows my scheme. WISH ME LUCK!

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I hate shopping on Black Friday and try to avoid it every year. This year, however, I have NO choice. I'm not happy about that at all. I need a giant suitcase before Tuesday and, because my schedule is stupid between now and then . . . I have to do it today . . . with all three of my children . . . **sighs**

sunna
11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I hate shopping on Black Friday and try to avoid it every year. This year, however, I have NO choice. I'm not happy about that at all. I need a giant suitcase before Tuesday and, because my schedule is stupid between now and then . . . I have to do it today . . . with all three of my children . . . **sighs**

Well, I wouldn't go to Augusta if my life depended on it today, but Cook's Corner might be a little quieter (as long as you avoid WalMart). Good luck!

badducky
11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
this black friday, we must remember where the day's name originates.

the mad, awful elder gods dreamed of a holiday to celebrate their corpulance. they spread a tentacle into the minds of the evil marketing department of the evil coca-cola company to depict a creature so terrible, yet so lovable.

its beard is full of white twisting tentacles. its serpentine belly is shrouded in baleful red. its horrible, rollicking laughter is reserved for those times when it slips into homes in secret, and infests the children.

families, in their terror, leave offerings of milk and cookies, but they are no respite from the growing doom.

the silhouette of santa claus and cthulu is exactly the same, my friend. listen! you know this to be true!

our children are being corrupted! and we embrace the doom of the elder gods with smiles!

we go to the store, and exchange gifts with each other and run up credit cards as if this year - on January 1st - the new year will not come. we live like hedons in the last waning hours of the world before the new ones emerge from the melting polar icecaps as the stars align.

jingle bells - if you listen very close - played backwards creates those awful, alien sounds that no human tongue can replicate.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

black friday comes. the black apocalypse comes, too.

jenngreenleaf
11-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, I wouldn't go to Augusta if my life depended on it today, but Cook's Corner might be a little quieter (as long as you avoid WalMart). Good luck!
I ended up at the Wal-Mart in Auburn and it actually wasn't too bad. :) You're right about Augusta - wouldn't go there if my life depended on it, either. LOL Brunswick is second on that list, which is why I'm glad it's further out and I don't have to go there often. :D

Williebee
11-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Black Friday seemed like a good excuse to stay inside and write for the day.

That and the fact that day before yesterday the high was almost 70 degrees F, and last night it snowed.

hmm sleep deprived, mad shoppers and black ice on the roads. wheeeeeeee

KTC
11-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Black Schmack...I just got back from the mall. I was there for about an hour and a half. I love that Canada does not experience this blackest of days of which you speak.

ZannaPerry
11-24-2007, 03:37 AM
It wasn't that bad. I've had the experience. I didn't sleep a wink all night, began to shop at 4am, didn't come home till noon. Slept the remainder of the day. It's 6pm now. I don't know how i am going to sleep tonight.

Oh, maybe I'll write!!

But really...it wasn't that bad. I got half my shopping done!

Soccer Mom
11-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Buncha wussess. I shopped all day long and had a lovely time. The crowds were mannerly and quite chatty. I got most of my shopping done and even a few things for myself.

I used to work retail and so I'm always kind to the poor souls who have to work today.

I've been out when it was full contact shopping before, but I just strap on the shin guards and cleats and wade out into the fray. Today really wasn't bad. I think the sleet kept folks at home.

Best buy? I got a $200 leather coat for $48. That alone was worth the trip.

The_Grand_Duchess
11-24-2007, 04:48 AM
this black friday, we must remember where the day's name originates.

the mad, awful elder gods dreamed of a holiday to celebrate their corpulance. they spread a tentacle into the minds of the evil marketing department of the evil coca-cola company to depict a creature so terrible, yet so lovable.

its beard is full of white twisting tentacles. its serpentine belly is shrouded in baleful red. its horrible, rollicking laughter is reserved for those times when it slips into homes in secret, and infests the children.

families, in their terror, leave offerings of milk and cookies, but they are no respite from the growing doom.

the silhouette of santa claus and cthulu is exactly the same, my friend. listen! you know this to be true!

our children are being corrupted! and we embrace the doom of the elder gods with smiles!

we go to the store, and exchange gifts with each other and run up credit cards as if this year - on January 1st - the new year will not come. we live like hedons in the last waning hours of the world before the new ones emerge from the melting polar icecaps as the stars align.

jingle bells - if you listen very close - played backwards creates those awful, alien sounds that no human tongue can replicate.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

black friday comes. the black apocalypse comes, too.

Or, it's the day that takes the ledgers out of the red and into the black. Your idea was good too.

veinglory
11-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, I made it. I also spent about $1500 and am now trying to resusitate my credit card.

My main observation it that if you shop in jeans and a flannel shirt staff in a lot of high-end stores are going to ignore you, and they were exactly rushed off their feet. That rather pissed me off.

I didn;t find any really big sales but got all the Xmas shopping done and bought myself a Sony ebook reader.

jenngreenleaf
11-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I still haven't started my Christmas shopping yet. I usually shop for my son's birthday on the 15th or 16th, and then I shop for Christmas about a week before.....I try to do better every year, but that's usually when I have enough money saved. hehe

Jean Marie
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
My shopping was done, a long time ago. Just a couple of things to get. A book for a 2 year old and that's about it.

jenngreenleaf
11-25-2007, 11:59 PM
My shopping was done, a long time ago. Just a couple of things to get. A book for a 2 year old and that's about it.
You're lucky!!! :)

Jean Marie
11-26-2007, 12:02 AM
You're lucky!!! :)
I started in January :D. Budgeted myself out, a bit here, and a bit there. Otherwise, I can't afford it all at once. My cc would break :)

jenngreenleaf
11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
I started in January :D. Budgeted myself out, a bit here, and a bit there. Otherwise, I can't afford it all at once. My cc would break :)That's part of my challenge - I stopped using credit cards a LONG time ago. So, as soon as I get some extra cash, it goes to holidays and birthdays. :)

Jean Marie
11-26-2007, 12:09 AM
That's part of my challenge - I stopped using credit cards a LONG time ago. So, as soon as I get some extra cash, it goes to holidays and birthdays. :)
Should have rephrased that. I pay cash for everything, except when it comes to fixing my car, new tires, big ticket items. Or, paying for oil delivery, yuk. Then, I have to pay it off and fast. Well, as fast as I can.

So, if I didn't budget out my Christmas presents, they would end up on cc's. And, I don't want them to. That's why I do it that way.

jenngreenleaf
11-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Ohhhhhhhh, that makes sense! :) I used to have a Christmas account, but that hasn't been used in years for one reason or another. I really should bring that back into my regular routine. Then, the holidays wouldn't feel like such a crunch! :flag:

Jean Marie
11-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Exactly. A Christmas account wouldn't work, 'cause I'd end up using for other emergency stuff that always comes up. Inevitably. Even if you duck, it finds you :)

jenngreenleaf
11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
LOL Come to think of it, I believe that's why I stopped adding to these accounts!!