Character 'Nicknames'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xopher

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, please let me appologise if this question has already been covered somewhere else on the forums. I did try searching for it, but didn't really come up with anything along the lines. Even still, I'm sure there's a way I could have missed it if it were there, hehe.

I was just wondering if anyone happened to have any input about main character and their names. I noticed that I happened to have one whose name seems to wander through three of four different variations depending on who's refering to him, (i.e. William, Will, Billiam, Liam, etc.) and even the narration seems to change it periodically. I get the feeling that this isn't quite 'kosher', but I still wonder if anyone else had any prior experience with this sort of thing. Would you just pick one variation of the name and stick with it, or maybe make exceptions for other characters, or what?

Thanks!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You characters can call him by any name they see fit -- obviously, though, the more you use the more confusing it becomes. But your narrator should refer to him using the same name...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup

I agree with maestrowork, that your characters should be consistent within themselves in the names they use for one another.

But a single man might be Sheriff Buckman, Jimmy B, James, Buck, and Dumpling, depending on who's thinking about our talking of him.

Maryn, who has many names herself

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Right. I also believe nicknames can add a lot to the realism of the story, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.