Crash Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I need a quick crash course in self-publishing. I'm currently assisting an author who is set on self-publishing his project. He has valid reasons for doing so, including the fact that he just wants a few books for family and friends, but he does want a quality product. He does not intend to make a profit from the project.

I'm realizing, as I'm assisting him, how much my knowledge is specific to commercial publishing and how-to avoid scammers. (I've already told him that if he goes with PublishAmerica, I will have no choice but to completely disassociate myself from him and the project.)

So, what do I need to know? Covers, companies that will print, layout, etc. What are my options? Talk to me like I'm an idiot.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Go to LULU and read all their directions. It's really easy and the safest bet. www.lulu.com

You can buy any amount of books and they will be about 6-8 dollars each. No strings.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I need a quick crash course in self-publishing. . . .
Immediately buy, read, and absorb the latest edition (15th was published in 2006) of Dan Poynter's The Self-Publishing Manual. It is the bible of self-publishing and precisely the crash course you want. Also see Poynter's website, www.parapublishing.com.

You can take this advice to the bank. I have been actively associated with independent publishers, some of whom are extraordinarily skilled and accomplished, for several years, in the Northern California Publishers & Authors, www.norcalpa.org. Poynter will be the keynote speaker at the organization's conference next April. He is THE authority.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.