PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Know About You...

tjwriter
11-22-2007, 02:04 AM
But I'm not to keen to rush right over to a website touting Fat Loss 4 Idiots. Not making me feel too good about my intelligence or losing weight.

It showed up as an ad down at the bottom a few minutes ago.

Silver King
11-22-2007, 02:44 AM
But I'm not to keen to rush right over to a website touting Fat Loss 4 Idiots. Not making me feel too good about my intelligence or losing weight.

It showed up as an ad down at the bottom a few minutes ago.
Did that appear on this site, TJ? If so, I'll report it to an Admin. At times, some ads sneak by that shouldn't. NONE of the scrolling advertisements that appear here are endorsed by AW, but there is a standard that needs to be adhered to. The ads do help support AW so that this community can remain a gathering place that is free of charge to its members and visitors alike.

tjwriter
11-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Did that appear on this site, TJ? If so, I'll report it to an Admin. At times, some ads sneak by that shouldn't. NONE of the scrolling advertisements that appear here are endorsed by AW, but there is a standard that needs to be adhered to. The ads do help support AW so that this community can remain a gathering place that is free of charge to its members and visitors alike.

Oh, I know about the ads and their purpose. I found it amusing more than anything. Funny even, in that weird, off-kilter sense of humor that his mine. You know, their advert. just didn't make me want to rush my cursor over to click right through. That's all.

The_Grand_Duchess
11-22-2007, 02:58 AM
Hmm, my ad at the bottom is for the box set edition of War and Peace.

Rolling Thunder
11-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Google 'Fat loss 4 Idiots' and see how many sites, displaying how they will 'expose' the 'truth' about that site, are really slick advertisements for ordering the book.

Scamity-scam-scam.

Silver King
11-22-2007, 03:05 AM
I reported the ad, and if nothing else, it's in bad taste.

Rolling Thunder
11-22-2007, 03:09 AM
True. Besides, we have a healthy diet and exercise thread here on AW, too.

Um...I've never been there, but I have seen it. :D

dpaterso
11-22-2007, 03:17 AM
"...for Idiots" and "...for Dummies" titles have been around for years, implying that user guides/books/software/whatever are simple to understand and easy to follow. Since I don't like to think of myself as stupid, I've never read or bought anything that used this marketing ploy.

-Derek

Silver King
11-22-2007, 03:23 AM
True. Besides, we have a healthy diet and exercise thread here on AW, too.

Um...I've never been there, but I have seen it. :D
It's located here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44329). Leave it to Jaycinth to start a thread with enough legs to jog around the world. And there's enough inspiration in there to burn off calories from just reading some of those posts!

poetinahat
11-22-2007, 03:38 AM
"...for Idiots" and "...for Dummies" titles have been around for years, implying that user guides/books/software/whatever are simple to understand and easy to follow. Since I don't like to think of myself as stupid, I've never read or bought anything that used this marketing ploy.

-Derek
Yeah, that's what I thought too. It's just a riff on the 'for Dummies' series -- ostensibly just different enough to avoid copyright infringement.

I don't think it's especially offensive - at least no more than the 'For Dummies' series, but it's not very clever either.

I still don't know why I'm getting all these ads to learn biblical Hebrew and find millionaire husbands ("Always free for beautiful girls!"). (Note: I'm talking about two separate ads in that last sentence.)

dpaterso
11-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Millionaire husbands? Damn, I never saw that one. But the babe in the singlemuslim.com ad (the UK's leading Muslim marriage service) is hot. Different ads for different people, I guess.

-Derek

billythrilly7th
11-22-2007, 04:26 AM

-Derek

And yet I have a book club monthly subscription to the entire series.

poetinahat
11-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Jeez. We're in totally different demographics, aren't we? And they're both bizarrely wrong!

(comment addressed to Derek, not Billy -- lest a comic misunderstanding ensue...)