Problems one runs into when writing about their life

Solace

Registered
Reaction score
My friends tell me things that they expect me not to go around blabbing. But what about including it in my book? It wont' be published for years, anyway, and a few years is a lot in highschool.

I've already asked my pedophile friend if he'd want me to avoid including that part of him in my book, but surprisingly he said he didn't care, that it was my choice.

He also thinks I support his attraction, which idk if I do or not. It doesn't change how I look at him as a person, but I don't really aprove of it... But he wants to read my book, and then he'll realize what I really think of his pedophila, and I don't really want him to know that... so idk what to do.

I do realize it's my life story, so I need to focus on myself not my friends, so I should keep the stuff they say to me quiet.

So...what questions should I ask myself before writing something my friends had said to me in?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you have a pedophile friend, it's

1. Time to make him not your friend.
2. Time to report him to the authorities.

Are you really for real?

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Solace--I agree with everything KTC says. Pedophilia is (depending on how you look at it) immoral, a mental illness--and a crime, if it is acted on. If this post is on the level, I too am concerned--especially when I read on your profile that you are just 16. I hope you find someone trustworthy, and a little older than you are, to talk to about this.

Good luck.

Susan

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
Solace,

I can't access your profile because the server is so busy. Presumably your pedophile friend is also young. I'm concerned because he may not be acting on it now (I'm hoping!), but as the years go by, if it becomes stronger, many children may be at risk. I support Susan B's advice to find someone trustworthy to talk to about this.

And, I salute the compassion your user name implies.

Solace

Registered
Reaction score
He just turned fifteen a few days ago. As he gets older, I plan on having a serious talk with him about it. But I don't want to lose our friendship. He is just a guy who is having trouble with his attractions, and doesn't want to admit they are wrong.

I don't think rejecting him will do him any good. People have de-friended me upon hearing i'm a lesbian. I don't want to do the same thing to him. But that doesn't mean I think pedophila is alright.

I don't know what to do about my novel. I guess I will write what's on my mind. He has to know sometime what I think about his attractions....

But he thinks i'm fine with it. And he wants to interview me on a podcast. >.<

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Solace, in writing a private journal you can feel free to write whatever is on your mind. But if you are writing something for pubication, there are many ethical, if not legal, concerns. If you are a person of integrity, you will not divulge things told to you in confidence by your friends--despite your seeming need to unload. That is what private journals (or private conversations) are for.

However, if your pedophile friend informs you that he is acting on his impulses, you have a greater moral responsibility to protect the children he may be abusing--and that would be the time to break a confidence, and tell someone in authority. If he is a good friend, it would be the friendly thing for you to urge him to get some psychiatric help.

Solace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so frusterated. I don't know what to do.

I don't want to do anything that would mess up our friendship.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I guess I have one stand on this. If he's truly your friend, you'll help him. He may hate you now, but someday, hopefully he'll realize how good it was that he got help. Better than him blaming you for not telling him to get hope if he would get arrested and put away.

At least that's my take on it. Friends help each other out and just because you tell someone that they have a problem doesn't necessarily mean the end of the friendship. Maybe he'll hate you for a little while, but if it's a true friendship it'll stick.

That's my opinion at any rate.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Solace, I hope you don't mind me being direct here, but this is a subject that I know a lot about as I was sexually abused as a child, and have worked as a professional in the field for many years.

There's no correlation between your being gay and his being a pedophile. You were born gay, but he was not born a pedophile. Chances are just about 100% he was sexually abused when he was younger, and either doesn't remember it, or remembers it as pleasureable, or as being love. Gays are people who are attracted to those of the same sex, and in generally the same age group, so now you'd be attracted to a teenage girl or young woman, and as you mature, you'll be attracted to more mature women. Gays and lesbians also usually don't waste their time on attractions to people who aren't interested back. Your friend's age-attraction is stuck at one stage and will never change, and he's attracted to kids who don't return his interest. Unfortunately, although they might be nice people on an individual basis, pedophiles are like vampires. They infect others (their young victims) with their illness when they sexually abuse him. Someone infected your friend, and eventually, if he doesn't get help, he's going to infect others. Then they'll grow up and do it to other kids. It's an epidemic. This is why one out of every four kids is sexually abused before the age of 18. Don't let it happen to any more kids, just because you feel sorry for someone, or are afraid of losing their friendship. Real friends don't cover up for each other. When they see that their friends need help, they insist that they get it. Even if your friend hasn't acted out yet, and his attraction is only in his thoughts and not his actions up to now, he needs help. If he won't get it on his own, tell a teacher, guidance counselor, or some other adult who appears to have their brown stuff together. If that adult doesn't do anything, tell another, and keep telling until someone gets himn the help that he needs. Do it now, while your friend's young, because every time he fantasizes about sex with kids, or actually does it, the behavior becomes reinforced, and is harder to stop. He's a time bomb just waiting to go off, and some poor kid's going to get splattered with shrapnel.

As for you, there are online and in-person supoort groups for gay teens all over the place. You sound like a very bright and caring person. How about finding some support for yourself with others in your own situation? There are lots of terrific gay and lesbian teens out there, who would not only be great friends, but who you'd have more in common with.

Best of luck to you and I hope this is helpful.

Solace

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. The problem is, his mother already knows, isn't doing anything about it, and told him that she doesn't care about him anymore because of it. I'm afraid that he'll fall apart again.

A few weeks back, him and his mom got in a fight about it, and he came to school suicidal. Me and another girl talked to him. He pretty much ignored everything I said, but listened to her. So... maybe I should talk to her? Idk.

And i'd love to go to a support group or something like that, but my parents think i'm just 'confused' and don't believe i'm gay. They also are conservitive Christians and they don't support me.

I know what it feels like to be rejected solely for the reason that someone disiagrees with your sexuality, I know what it feels like to be ridiculed by your parents because they disagreee....

The rest of the group of friends at school, on the surface, accept him. But I'm not sure what they really think. I'm pretty sure they have the same opinion I have - don't agree with it but don't want to let him know.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Solace, I don't have a lot of sympathy for diddlers, and as harsh as it seems, if he's suicidal the world may be better off without him, if what you say is true.

And if he's not suicidal, he needs help.

And if he does not get help, then for society's sake and the sake of our kids, we need him in prison.

I'm sorry if that sounds rough, but that's the hard reality. As Polly says, a diddler will infect other young people until he's locked up or dies. To me, society's need to contain that is not a whole lot different than society's need to contain smallpox or polio. Diddlers, smallpox, and polio have Zero value to society, notwithstanding the value you may see as a friend.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My friends tell me things that they expect me not to go around blabbing. But what about including it in my book? It wont' be published for years, anyway, and a few years is a lot in highschool.

I've already asked my pedophile friend if he'd want me to avoid including that part of him in my book, but surprisingly he said he didn't care, that it was my choice.

He also thinks I support his attraction, which idk if I do or not. It doesn't change how I look at him as a person, but I don't really aprove of it... But he wants to read my book, and then he'll realize what I really think of his pedophila, and I don't really want him to know that... so idk what to do.

I do realize it's my life story, so I need to focus on myself not my friends, so I should keep the stuff they say to me quiet.

So...what questions should I ask myself before writing something my friends had said to me in?
Your use of IDK reminds me of the silly cell phone commercials with the upset mother with the phone bill and the guilty child..... OMG IDK MBFF Sue .... lol. Anywho, I'm having a hard time understanding the realtionship between you and this pedophile. How old is this person and how old are you and why are you friends with a pedophile?

Are you maybe using the wrong word? Just a thought.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Solace, you must understand that the terms 'paedophile' and 'gay person' are NOT the same. A genuine paedophile is an incurable menace to society in general and to children in particular - a gay person is no threat to either.

Put yourself out of harm's way, seek counsel and get out of this relationship fast. Re-read Pollykahl's post above.

If you and your pals do nothing - how will you feel (for the young victim(s)?) when your so-called friend does things that really get him into trouble?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay to say to your friend "I care about you. However, your attraction to children is wrong, and you need to seek help for it when you can."

You can love someone and yet understand very clearly that some behavior or thought pattern or dysfunction is very wrong. Telling him you believe that sex with children is wrong, and that he needs help in understanding this, doesn't mean you're rejecting him as a person--it means that you're respecting him enough to understand this as just one aspect of him.

Also, not every sexual abuser of children was abused themselves--studies show that between 40% and 65% of child sexual offenders reported experiencing sexual abuse as children themselves. And the vast majority of people who were abused sexually as children don't become abusers themselves--85% to 95% of sexually abused children (again, studies vary) grow up to become non-offending adults.

So if your friend was abused, he can break the cycle.

Last edited:

Solace

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't talked to him in a while, I have a few classes from him but we don't talk anymore. I took your advice and backed off on the friendship. He's been acting differently latly anyway, as far as not answering my phone calls, not replying to emails. And I hadn't even got a chance to say anything yet.

It makes me sad though because I don't have many friends. :( With him gone, i've only got one.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Solace, Google for support groups for gay teens and you'll find lots of stuff, including online groups where you can be with other gay teens without having to come out in your community. Check out these sites and you might even find that there are other gay teens living near you. They're just mostly probably being isolated and feeling alone, just like you. Make yourself some healthy and loving friends who will let you be you and appreciate you for who you are. They're out there somewhere, waiting for you.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ,
I cant understand how will a mothe refuse to help her chid if he
has a problem . My son was also having a problem but we as family helped him
and now he is an graphic artist . I would like Solace to help her firiend by taking
her friend to a counsellor. I think in US and all you have counsellors so pl help him
padma

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I hope that you remember this sentence and can live with yourself in years to come, when there are little kids in your area who are a hundred times more f@cked up than him, because he's ruined their lives.

Being a pedophile isn't the same as someone's sexuality; the children do not get a say in this, people with other sexual preferences do.

I know what it feels like to be rejected solely for the reason that someone disiagrees with your sexuality, I know what it feels like to be ridiculed by your parents because they disagreee....

Elodie