Using frozen, packaged pie dough

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Here's a thread I never thought I would be starting. :D

Last night I received a call from a dear friend asking if I would provide twenty-five pies for a Thanksgiving dinner. Apparently, someone else was to provide these pies and backed out. Now, I could go the easy route and buy the pies, but I have decided to go the semi-easy route. I am going to use packaged, frozen Pillsbury pie dough already set in aluminum pans.

I have always made my own pie dough, so this will be my first experience using the frozen variety. The instructions indicate that I am to fill the frozen (not thawed) pie pans with whatever filling I am using. In my mind, that will make for a less flaky dough after it is baked. Would it not be better to thaw the dough first, and then fill the pan?

Help! I'm starting baking at 7:30am PST.

Any frozen pie dough users out there? :)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
first things first,..

25!!!???

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
first things first,..

25!!!???

Yes, it's for a charity event. My name will be shown as the donor and I have a wee reputation to maintain since many of the attendees know me and will expect something other than store bought pies. Some of the pies will be served as dessert, while others will be auctioned off after dinner.

Not making the dough will save a great deal of time. I'm making Caramel Pumpkin, served with a bourbon whipped cream and Kahlúa Chocolate Pecan.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
If you're not making the crusts yourself, my personal recommendation would be not to buy the frozen crusts but the refrigerated, roll out ones instead. They have WAY more flavor. Of course, buying 25 might be a bit pricey, but you can usually get a store brand that's pretty good (if you have Kroger in your area, theirs is decent) for less than the Pillsbury.

Frozen pie crusts taste an awful lot like cardboard.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
If you're not making the crusts yourself, my personal recommendation would be not to buy the frozen crusts but the refrigerated, roll out ones instead. They have WAY more flavor. Of course, buying 25 might be a bit pricey, but you can usually get a store brand that's pretty good (if you have Kroger in your area, theirs is decent) for less than the Pillsbury.

Frozen pie crusts taste an awful lot like cardboard.

Thank you. I should have opened this thread before buying the dough. I can take back the dough I have purchased and buy the roll out variety along with aluminium tins. I don't have 25 pie pans sitting about in my cupboard.:tongue It's really that bad, eh?

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
25!? Wow, my oven would croak. Anyway . . .

I've had trouble with "crumbly crust" when it comes to frozen pie crust. I've also had the same experience with flavor.

With the refridgerated kind, I've had problems with the dough splitting and breaking when trying to form it to the pie pan. This was easily solved (in comparison to the crust crumble) by using some water to "glue" it back together. I think the problem is because it can't be kneeded (sp?) as traditional pie crust can be, so it's got a tougher consistency.

Deleted member 42

What Patty said--the pumpkin pie would be good in a shortbread or graham crust, and those too can be bought in the pie tin, already made, not frozen, ready to be filled, and they're not superb but not at all bad.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
After reading the comments about frozen dough, I have decided to take back what I bought and make the dough from scratch. Just means I will be up later than usual prepping for my own dinner tonight. IMO, a lousy pie crust will ruin a pie -- no matter how tasty the filling.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I agree that the refrigerated kind is better.

I only have to make one pie, but I'm doing that myself with the dough. I just don't have the energy to make crust for a single pie. For Christmas, when I'm making half a dozen, it's worth the effort. My filling is my own, though.

I also have to make a NY style cheesecake, so my energy is going toward that.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any frozen pie dough users out there?

Absolutely. Always. My 'homemade' crusts would suck. They DO suck.

Depending on the type of filling, I usually "prebake" a little so they don't sog out. For really "juicy" stuff. Drier stuff like sweet potato or pumpkin - maybe not. If the first ones came out all right then I wouldn't. If they did, then I would.

Get the good ones, not the store brand. Carnation? I think. The fold out in the red box - never had good luck. Gave up with those.

as always, YMMV

ftr - absolutely a crust can make or break a pie. Frozen can be adequate. Most people cannot make adequate crusts. That's why they have the frozen ones. It's an art form. I think I cook rather well. My fillings are awesome.

My crusts suck. I know this.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been able to nail a great homemade crust, except for a graham cracker crust, so I usually use frozen. But the unfrozen ones are a bit better.

Let us know how they turn out-and kudos to you for all the work!

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I've used the store-bought graham cracker crust for pumpkin pie. I don't like the dried-out version that tends to come on homemade pies, but if you can make a good one, more power to you!

Good luck!

ETA: UN-frozen crusts.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Patti. I use Pillsbury brand of the roll out refridgerated type when I'm in a hurry. I do pre-bake a little so that the crust doesn't get soggy on the bottom and then I make the little foil collars to go around the edges so that they don't get overdone. Just keep an eye on them in the oven and pop the collars on when the crust starts getting too brown.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I'm with the others. The only pre-made in a tin variety I'll use is graham cracker crust for key lime pie (yum!). Otherwise it's the Pillsbury refrigerated dough for me. They're folded in quarters. Make sure to let them warm to room temp before trying to unfold or they'll tear at the crease. I make a killer pecan pie with these and always receive mega compliments.

Good luck with your event!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brian, I agree with Patti and the others--if you had to go the ready-made route, the refrigerated Pillsbury rolled kind are best, and you should allow them to get to room temperature before unrolling them (they don't break as easily that way).

Of course, homemade are best. Be sure to use ice-water, sprinkled over the dough a tablespoon at a time when mixing. (Helps make a flakier crust.) Don't overwork the dough, or it'll be tough.

Good luck with your pies! :)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm with the others. The only pre-made in a tin variety I'll use is graham cracker crust for key lime pie (yum!). Otherwise it's the Pillsbury refrigerated dough for me. They're folded in quarters. Make sure to let them warm to room temp before trying to unfold or they'll tear at the crease. I make a killer pecan pie with these and always receive mega compliments.

Good luck with your event!
So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong. I'm too impatient. LOL Now I understand why the creases kept tearing on me. Duh. LOL

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yum, those sound good...my taste buds are going into overdrive. :D

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brian, sometime when you have time (not today!) come back to the thread and post your recipe for that Kahlúa Chocolate Pecan pie, okay?

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
Last turkey day, for my pumpkin pie, I used a Marie Callender's frozen crust and it turned out really good. It baked well. It wasn't too flaky and didn't separate from the filling.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Super, super easy pie filling recipe (trust me this is orgasmic)....

1 package of chocolate instant pudding mix

2 cups of half & half (instead of the milk) OR 1 cup milk and 1 cup whipping cream

Mix until thickened.

Pour into prepared graham (or chocolate graham) cracker crust.

Options: Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, chocolate sprinkles.....

This was discovered as a happy accident. I had a package of chocolate pudding mix and didn't have enough milk....