Learning Latin....

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
When I started my law degree I bought a couple of books to teach myself Latin (one of which was imaginatively titled 'Teach Yourself Latin') but I never really used any online stuff besides a few dictionaries. If they'd be of use there are a couple of good ones;
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cache/perscoll_Greco-Roman.html#text1
This one is Project Perseus and I believe the dictionaries are under 'Tools', but they are good for giving you lots of parts of verbs etc.

And this is quite a good one too;
http://www.wordgumbo.com/ie/rom/lat/index.htm

Bookwise, besides the Teach Yourself ones, I had a really good set of textbooks that are actually used in Scottish schools for Higher Latin - the series is called 'Ecce Romani' and has workbooks as well as the coursebooks.

Deleted member 42

In the U.S. an awful lot of schools use Wheelocks Latin Grammar, and the Workbook that goes with it, and English Grammar for Students of Latin.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I had a year of Latin in a private high school circa 1974, and I learned in that class that the school was in one of 13 US cities named Rome. I did learn some Latin too, but I forget most of it now. I do vaguely recall that the textbook was green and titled "Latin for Americans."

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Rose, we'll move this thread over to the Story Research forum where the folks there may recommend additional sources to help you along.

Good luck in your search!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it should go there or not.
You're welcome. :)

Office Party was a good place to start your search, as that forum gets a good bit of traffic. The subject of Latin studies isn't discussed there as often as it should be, though, so I thought perhaps you might have better luck here.

Your pursuit of higher learning is to be admired, and I hope you will be offered the guidance you are seeking.

Deleted member 42

Thanks for the link Medievalist. Even if I decide to not pursue Ancient History I was going to study medieval history so Latin is good for that too right?

I will definitely be scoping it out the link.

Yes, Latin is good for medieval history, but the Latin you generally learn is Classical Latin, which is a bit different from the very odd "vulgar" medieval Latin.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I almost failed a university Latin course once, so I obviously can't help you. I just wanted to try out once more my brother's university motto: Bibo ergo sum. I just wanted to say it. That is all.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sum, es, est, summus, estis, sunt. I live in Venezuela and here you study Latin in high school...

So, the first thing you have to learn are the 5 types of declinating the verbs depending if they are Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative, Vocative, and Acusative

The only way you can understand this is living it as we (high school Latin students) as live it

and don't forget: Semper Ubi Sub Ubi!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
boxers or briefs?

hehehe, it's up to you. But if you want to, try a subigaculum or if you are female:

002.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Caecilius est in atrium.
There's my entire knowledge of Latin used up, but it has a point. I had to learn Latin at school (note choice of words - 'had to' not 'chose to' :tongue), and we used a series of books starring this chap called Caecilius, who lived in Pompeii. It used the events of his and his family's lives to teach the language.
*Googles*
Here we go, I even spelled his name right!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Latin_Course

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Caecilius est in atrium.
There's my entire knowledge of Latin used up, but it has a point. I had to learn Latin at school (note choice of words - 'had to' not 'chose to' :tongue), and we used a series of books starring this chap called Caecilius, who lived in Pompeii. It used the events of his and his family's lives to teach the language.
*Googles*
Here we go, I even spelled his name right!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Latin_Course

You are so lucky, or method is simply to conjugate verbs ad nauseaum and to translate little fables like "Androcles and the lion" or "Paris, prince of Troy"

Deleted member 42

Some other useful notes--Allan and Greenough's Latin Grammar is the one that used to be the grammar standard, and there's a free .pdf here. Professor Bateson's Notes have been helpful to me.

C. J. Cherryh's Conversational Latin is a neat way to start learning. She taught Latin for years.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You could try Peter Jones' 'Reading Latin'. There's a grammar book, a reader and a teacher's guide - usually you can pick these up fairly cheaply on ebay or at second hand shops. The stories in the reader are from actual classical text so, you know, fairly racy. The grammar is, I think, excellent and the exercises are very helpful.

Deleted member 42

You could try Peter Jones' 'Reading Latin'. There's a grammar book, a reader and a teacher's guide - usually you can pick these up fairly cheaply on ebay or at second hand shops. The stories in the reader are from actual classical text so, you know, fairly racy. The grammar is, I think, excellent and the exercises are very helpful.

I don't know that one--thanks!