Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Here, let's post your fav emoticons that haven't gotten into the AW arsenal yet.

We can then come here to grab the one we want...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ner-ner-ner (Make face)

Here's one:

makeface.gif

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
triceretops said:
I must confess that I don't know how to grab a little puppet and make it work. I've only been on the internet for three months. Can someone help a trike out here with real easy-step-by-step directions?

One thing about it, ezBoard and the way Jenna has it set up here make it easy. You click on the little picture icon above the message box. You have to know the web address for your picture, though. Like my little choco-fiend is at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/jennipps/yum.gif.

So after you click the picture icon and the box comes up, you copy the web address of the picture into it, click "OK", and you're set.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
1. Right click on the emoticon
2. Select "Properties"
3. highlight the "Address (URL)" of the image
4. right click to bring up the menu, click "Copy" (or press Ctrl-C to copy)

When you post a message, in the editor, click the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbar. Then simply paste the URL you just copied in the URL field. Voila, the emoticion should now be in your message.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Or you can manually bracket your smilie link with the IMG code, like:

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure if you take them from other sites that it's 1) up for grabs to the public and 2) that you are allowed to hotlink to the site it's on.

Some sites will not allow you to hotlink, others will close up shop if too many people link to them (thus causing the dreaded white box with a red x in it).

Here are some that haven't been posted yet or used in a while:

3.gif
16_6_8.gif
10_5_2.gif
and special for Spook:
15_4_126.gif

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have my computer set up to ask me each time a web site wants to load a cookie onto my hard drive (I almost always say NO!, of course). When I went to mysmilies.com, by the time I got to the first page of smiley links, I had turned down almost 4 dozen cookies!! So, if you go there to visit, you may need to clean out your cookie cache afterwards. Be warned.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
triceretops said:
Oh ma gawd, I grabbed a puppet! Now if I can remember how I did it. Where do you store these things or do you have to always go back to the site where you found it?

Tri

That's what this thread is about, Tri, so people can just come here and grab them.

(Alternatively you can paste all the URLs in a file, or save the URLs as bookmarks, then just cut and paste as you need them)

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tri, try this

Hmmm. That sounded odd.

Oh, well.

Try this: copy the URL of the smiley you like and paste it into an open word processing document, along with a brief description you'll remember, like

:Headbang: red guy banging head into wall

Keep a running list and call it Smileys (I call mine AAA Smileys, so it always sorts to the top of the document folder).

Then, when you want a particular picture, open your "edit" pull-down menu, choose the "find" feature, and then type in a word that will take you there (wall, for example, or banging). It will take you right to the one you want., Copy the URL, paste it into the "insert image" pop-up box, and voila! You have a pciture right where you want it! Each time you see a smiley you think will come in handy, add it to the list. I even type in names, if I chose them for a certain person. I have Ray flipping bugs on a grill, for example, and Bud chugging a beer and passing out.

(You now have the secret to my seemingly magical ability to find a smiley for almost every situation. Use it for good and not evil.)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks Betty. The odd was coming from me. If you know anything about Harlan Ellison, you'll probably understand where I've just come from. That means, I was a technology hater, and typed out 16 books on an IBM model B before getting my first XT computer. Only been on this new computer and the internet for three months and I'm real gun shy. I've been afraid to touch any button or key that doesn't put black on white. I guess it's called techno shock.
I'm sorry, it's a real phobia, big time.

Betcha never knew that about me!

Triceratops

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tri, I feel your pain. It wasn't that long ago that I was also techno-phobic. I've come a long way in a relatively short time, and one of the joys of my life is when my computer-geek brothers get to talking back and forth about things they don't think I understand and I can chime in with an intelligent question or comment that shows I do, I DO understand them (at least, some of the time!) or when our techno-illiterate dad calls *me* for advice or help instead of one of them - and what I tell him WORKS! Boy, I love those days... :thankyou:

Tri, trust me, if I can learn to be comfortable on the computer, ANYONE can! I started learning in - hmmm, let's see - 1992? And now, I have almost surpassed my younger son, who has always been the family computer whiz. And most of it I learned in the last three years.

Today I went out and comparison-shopped for a gigabyte flash drive and a wireless optical notebook mouse. Last year, I didn't even know what either of them were. (Well, OK, I still don't know what a gigabyte is, exactly, but I do know the gigabyte flash drive is about 32X bigger than my 256 MB flash drive. And more expensive.)

Keep trying. You'll get the hang of it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
That was very kind of you to say that to me. Five months ago I remember looking over the shoulder of my nephew as he was gaming on his computer. He turned his head slightly and hissed through his teeth, "Just keep on walking. You're too old for this." Well, you've never seen such an uncle hurt in your life. And it stuck. My first chatroom was a disaster. I was frightened to death. I guess they were all kids because they were typing strange codes--initials that meant something to them but exasperated and intrigued me. So I typed a message in the Queens English and they threw me off. They called me a strange mythological creature of some sort. I didn't know what a troll was then and I imediately decided that the internet was a very cruel place--worse than a street brawl. Believe me, putting a 53-year-old on the internet for the first time is a sobering reality, and I don't drink. The only shame that comes close is what the ex-PA authors feel.

But you know what? AW put a lot of bandaids on those hurts--soz I don't want to leave this house and go play with the other kids. He, he.

Tri

Status
Not open for further replies.