• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Is it fair to share a critique with other people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious - do you consider it ethical to share with third parties a critique you've done of a person's work or a critique done for you? Should the other person be asked first? Personally, if I send a person a critique I'm happy for them to use it for any purpose, but I can see how others might feel that their work was for the author's private use only. I'm interested in other people's opinions. :)

Cheers,
Parametric

PS: Hope this thread is correctly placed.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D 'A' sharing my crit for them with 'B' wouldn't bother me at all, but I wouldn't send a private crit I had done for 'A' to 'B' without checking with 'A'.

Just my two-penneth.

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. Everyone has their strengths. Sharing a grammar/punctuation critique might help another person better critique your style. Also, no one is perfect and a lot of crit is subjective. Check and see if others agree. Do NOT, however, come back to SYW and say, so-and-so says you don't know what you're talking about. That's just bad form.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's all a matter of what you really mean. If you're talking about sharing a critique someone did of your work with a third party, I don't see a problem. If you're talking about sharing a critique you did of someone else's work, I do see a problem. Bottom line is, you don't have permission to share anyone else's work without their consent. Puma

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see the purpose in sharing a critique either way, except in the form of, "Someone commented that my protagonist came off bitchy and unlikeable. Since you didn't mention anything like that, I thought I'd ask you directly: Do you think she's bitchy and unlikeable?"

Other than something like that, I can't see a reason for sharing a critique with anyone other than the author, who, I assume, sent the file in confidence. SYW is different.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
For private critiques, you'd be well-advised to ask the person first, either way. Then you don't have to worry that someone might get upset down the line. Also without permission it's a no-no to share any part of an unpublished MS with any third party.

For public discussions, such as SYW, they're open to anyone to view.

Last edited:

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
For private critiques, you'd be well-advised to ask the person first, either way. Then you don't have to worry that someone might get upset down the line. Also without permission it's a no-no to share any part of an unpublished MS with any third party.

For public discussions, such as SYW, they're open to anyone to view.
That it is!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments everyone (including via email). I guess I don't understand why A shouldn't share critiques A has done for B, since the work itself is A's - is it seen as a kind of collaboration? is it because of quotes, if any, from B's piece? is it a confidence issue? - but I now know not to do it. And that's the important part. ;)

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
If A is the one being critiqued and B is the critiquer, and B wants to share the work he/she has done for A with C, then B should probably ask A first before he/she send's A's work (with B's comments) to C. If that's okay with A and B sends it to C and C wants to send it to D, then C should contact B to contact A and ask. If A says it's okay then he/she should tell B who will tell C who will then tell D, therefore D can view A's work with B's comments. (I'll blame Bufty for starting the A - B thing).

JJ

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The person for whom the critique is done is the only arbiter of it's worth. He /she should decide who reads it.

I always ask my beta readers not to discuss my work or their reads with anyone until the work is in print and in the public domain.

If I think it's useful I send the comments on to my editor and we two work with the critiques.

Now that's how I handle it. Some others may act differently.

C

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments everyone (including via email). I guess I don't understand why A shouldn't share critiques A has done for B, since the work itself is A's - is it seen as a kind of collaboration? is it because of quotes, if any, from B's piece? is it a confidence issue? - but I now know not to do it. And that's the important part. ;)

A can share them if B gives permission, but it's hard to share a critique out of context, and so it will usually entail asking permission to share not just A's comments but part of B's manuscript as well, which is of course under B's control, not A's.

If A is wanting to offer C a sample of her/his work, why not just critique a page of C's work? Is there some other reason A wants to share with C? Just curious!

jordanharris

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the situation and what is meant by sharing. If A's work is for young adults and B has critiqued the work but C is a young adult. I thing it would be ok for B to ask C to glance over it but B should also let A know it was done.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have no qualms with sharing critiques down to my work with others. I don't know why I wouldn't. I show the critiques I get all the time...I try to use them to my advantage as much as possible. I will show them to other writers and ask if they think they are on the money or not if I find something questionable. I can't think of a single instance where I would have to show a critique I did on somebody else's work, though.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin/Sebby, I've shared critique I've done for other people (with their permission) to show a new person what s/he can expect from me if I critique his or her work. You know how scary it is, and how easy it is to imagine the critic flaying you alive. A few times I've sent a past critique to show how I handle negative aspects when and if I find them. So far, those people have gone ahead and asked for my feedback.

I've never had occasion to share someone else's critique of my work, though. A few times I've discussed some aspect of it ("Did Cara just not get it?" "Boy, Francie nailed it, the way he acted like a girl") but never shown it to anybody.

Maryn, wondering if that sound she hears is hail

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay...that's a good example, Maryn. Didn't think of that. I would show somebody one too, for that reason. Otherwise, it would be up to the person I critiqued to show it. I critique them and hand them back. I don't keep a copy...it's all on paper for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.