Form Rejections and Advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
I just got another form rejection for a short story I submitted 2 months ago... which isn't a big deal in and of itself (i'm used to them at this point).... but at the end of this particular rejection was the following "P.S.": Looking for help with your writing? Check out this review of some new writing software that can help improve your chances of being published: (link deleted)

A glutton for punishment, I clicked on the link, which took me to the mag's website and a page devoted to this writing software and several links directly to the software's website and how to buy it (for a low, low price of $55).

I mean, first there's the standard form rejection, then an advertisement for writing software at the end? It's just... poor taste, I think. Insulting? Yeah, kind of. Annoying? Definitely.

The funny thing is that the software is for novel writers. I wrote a short story for a magazine. If I'm submitting short stories to your magazine, why would you send me an advertisement on improving my novel writing?

Blah. That market is completely off my submission list. And I'll be darned if I ever pay for it.

Anyone else get advertisements in their rejections? Or have any thoughts? Am I overreacting in my disgust at this?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and I detest every one of them. I've had allegedly legit agents pull this stunt. Smells vilely of scam artist.

But, of course, the writer is constantly exhorted to "be professional".

caw

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ew! I've never had someone try to sell me something in a rejection and it would piss me off in a big way.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's some salt in the wound. And it's tacky. I've heard of ads in rejections, but haven't run across it personally -- yet.

That'll be a black day.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a form rejection with a plea for donations attached to it. Hmmmm, uh, no. That's probably not the best timing.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Never gotten an advertisement in a rejection. That's definitely tacky as hell. Ick.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Tacky is right! I just sat there reading it and thought.... I waited two months for this????

Honestly, I wonder what on earth people are thinking sometimes. I had the same reaction as blacbird - scam! I don't think it is, but I do think it's in terribly poor taste.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most well-respected and revered agents in the business hawks his own books in his rejection letters. "We don't want to buy your crappy writing, but be sure to pick up my two titles on HOW TO WRITE! and better luck next time!" Well, that's paraphrased, but yannow? I saw it on an infamous website where a guy put up all his rejection letters.

Every time this agent's praises get sung, I feel the urge to hark something out of the back of my throat. I won't be sending him any queries, because I wouldn't want him to rep me.

Just because you're a writer struggling to become a world-famous author doesn't mean you can't have standards.

It isn't just us - Miss Snark has at least one rant against her fellow agents who pull this garbage.

wee

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
There is one agent who is well known for pulling that stunt--he's perfectly legit but I refuse to submit to him. I've never had it happen with a publication, thankfully. That is just scummy.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Great. I have to look forward to it when my novel is finally ready, too?

I guess the whole thing feels kind of sleazy. Like, 'hey, you really want to be in my magazine or represented by me? Buy my book!'. And you know there are people out there who do buy it. Which seems predatory (to me).

Thanks for all your replies - it's nice to know that my gut reaction was normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.