PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving!

Jersey Chick
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
So, how is everyone spending their Turkey Day this year? I'll bake the night before (that's the only job anyone trusts me with. One year I offered to cook dinner & my mom didn't speak to me for a week), get up, watch the parade with the kids. Then we'll go to my mom's for dinner. This year my in-laws are coming as well, as are my husband's brother and sister. Should be a noisy afternoon.

What's everyone else doing?

Shadow_Ferret
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I get to spend it with my inlaws.

Yippee. :rolleyes:

WerenCole
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Research. Oh, and actually eating something that is not a: burger, pizza, chicken tender or sandwich.

joetrain
11-19-2007, 09:57 PM
good ole tennessee cooking by generations of ladies dedicated to stuffing you until you're peacefully comatose.

oh, and boiled custard with a dab of jack daniels.

maestrowork
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
That's the day I clip my toe nails.

Shadow_Ferret
11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
That's the day I clip my toe nails.
Ew. Let's hope I can get that image out of my head before Thursday.

Jersey Chick
11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
You only do it once a year, maestro? ;)

Jaycinth
11-19-2007, 10:06 PM
SLEEP.
COFFEE.
READ.
Make my Aunt's famous oyster stuffing.

Drive over to my MIL's house.

Listen to her complain about my ex (her son) until he arrives.

Sip wine while family rakes him over the coals.

Give him time to get off the road.

Return home and bask in the glow of my two wonderful children and my two remaining cats.

Drink wine..continue to bask.
Repeat with changes during next two days

maestrowork
11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Ew. Let's hope I can get that image out of my head before Thursday.

Wait until you hear about how I clear my pipes.

III
11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
We're driving to Houston to spend a few days with another couple we were friends with in college.

jenngreenleaf
11-19-2007, 10:44 PM
We're hosting this year, so it looks like I'll be starting the cooking and baking Wednesday . . . with everything else going on, I really just feel like skipping the whole day this year. :(

Melisande
11-20-2007, 12:52 AM
This year we're off to the V (FW). Right now they need all the support they can get and the fact that I don't have to spend two full days in the kitchen makes me feel thankful already.

MMWyrm
11-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Everyone (including middle sis and her two kids who we see MAYBE once a year) is converging on my Dad's house (that I get to clean tomorrow). I'm cooking, my other sis is bringing desert. Just hanging out and eating a lot.

Adam Israel
11-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Home alone. I'm making some Stove Top Chicken Bake, playing video games and watching movies.

TrainofThought
11-20-2007, 01:51 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/Train_of_Thought/Miscellaneous/turkey.jpg

:Shrug: who knows how dinner will turn out.

JoNightshade
11-20-2007, 01:58 AM
I get to spend it with my inlaws.

Yippee. :rolleyes:

Ditto. :)

I've been married for almost 2 years now and both sets of parents still take the responsibility of cooking the holiday meals. I'm totally fine with that, particularly since we're the ones who always have to do the traveling, but it kinda makes me feel like a kid. Ah well. Does this continue until we have our own children?

Jersey Chick
11-20-2007, 04:10 AM
I've been married almost eleven years, I've yet to host a major holiday. My mom and my inlaws aren't quite ready to give up the tradition.

I'm workin' on 'em, though. I'm trying to get everyone to my house for Christmas. I don't see it happening, but I'll try.

Pamster
11-21-2007, 08:08 AM
We're going to cook and have my mother over for Thanksgiving. We do the stuffing by scratch as well as pumpkin pies and other stuff. :)

MacAllister
11-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Also home alone. :) I'm making pies with friends, tomorrow, to give away mostly. I'll likely sleep in, then go volunteer for a couple of hours at a local church that serves Thanksgiving dinners, then come home and roast a turkey breast and some trimmings.

Shady Lane
11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
My sister comes home from college tomorrow, and on Thursday all the aunts and uncles and cousins come in. We're a big, close family, so we get together every weekend. So Thanksgiving isn't really a standout holiday for us...just an opportunity to pretend it's the weekend. ;)

Don Allen
11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Also home alone. :) I'm making pies with friends, tomorrow, to give away mostly. I'll likely sleep in, then go volunteer for a couple of hours at a local church that serves Thanksgiving dinners, then come home and roast a turkey breast and some trimmings.

Damn Mac...Fly to Chicago and get drunk with me and my family. We usually have a good time though few of us can remember...

MacAllister
11-21-2007, 08:30 AM
:D There'll probably be at least a couple of over-stuffed friends and neighbors who stop over on their respective ways home, to have a drink or two with me, Don--but I'll keep Chicago in mind.

Don Allen
11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
:D There'll probably be at least a couple of over-stuffed friends and neighbors who stop over on their respective ways home, to have a drink or two with me, Don--but I'll keep Chicago in mind.

Cool, a cold one will be waiting... Happy Thanksgiving..

Jean Marie
11-21-2007, 08:44 AM
You don't sleep :D

Thanksgiving by yourself, Mac :(

I'm going to my uncle's, w/ 3 of my cousins. It's the first holiday since my aunt passed away, September. We're all cooking while my uncle drinks, converses, then carves the turkey. My oldest cousin is in charge, so it should be interesting. The other 2 cousins won't be there, 5 girls in all.

MacAllister
11-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Happy Thanksgiving. :)

kristie911
11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll be working.

Susie
11-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Happy Thanksgiving y'all! I'll be with good, ol hubby. We'll have some turkey, etc. at home for the next week after the holiday. :) Possibly go out to chili's. We have a gift certificate, so it won't cost us much.

Mjollnir13
11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Going to the inlaws and getting gorged on turkey and stuffing then sitting in a half comatose state on the couch for a while. Later we all roll ourselves up back to the table and play board games all night. Fun times!

Pamster
11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday here in my family. We used to get almost all of the family together and drive to Fort Lauderdale to have dinner with the grandparents and family from Ohio that would come down too. It was pretty cool, but even though I haven't seen all of them in years, I still feel close to them through my mother. She's one out of five kids, while I and my hubby are both only children. We're going to have a nice day with great food and time with part of our family. I just love Thanksgiving. Got a lot to be thankful for this year too. :)

nerds
11-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday, see yas on Silly Friday. I've got pies to bake and scrumptiousalicious things to make. Plus I need to spruce up the house. May everyone have a lovely Thanksgiving.

:)

(Being away from home, stranger in a strange land, I've gathered up all the stray single friends I've made here over the last several months for dinner tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it.)

AnneMarble
11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Happy Thanksgiving y'all! I'll be with good, ol hubby. We'll have some turkey, etc. at home for the next week after the holiday. :) Possibly go out to chili's. We have a gift certificate, so it won't cost us much.
My mother is of French farm stock, so we'll be eating really well tomorrow. :D One year we even had Cornish hens for Thanksgiving because there were just a few of us. That was neat.

Another year, we had a Surprise Thanksgiving. OK, I know that doesn't make sense. My grandmother and aunt (from the French side) were visiting, and they kept insisting on buying more food than we thought we needed. Then they kept stalling the dinner. It turned out that they knew something we ddin't know... When we were about ready to sit down and eat, there was a knock on our door. We wondered "Who would be knocking on Thanksgiving?..." So I went to the door, and ... Surprise! :eek: my twin cousins were there, all the way from New England, with their families. They brought their own tables and chairs, and they brought more food, and of course, they helped out in the kitchen. Oh, and they came in campers, so they didn't even need a bed. Did I mention that my cousins are cool. That was fun, if a tad unexpected.
:partyguy:

I might persuade her to have sauerkraut for Thanksgiving. Not because it's a Maryland Thanksgiving tradition (I swear, it is! :Wha:) but because sauerkraut has something like zero WeightWatchers points.
:hooray:

Jersey Chick
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
This is great to see how everyone is celebrating (or not) tomorrow! Here's to good food, happy talk, family, and everyone getting home safely when it's all over! **raises glass**

and here's hoping my punkin pie comes out okay - it's the first time I'm baking in the new house. :D

Uncarved
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm only having four people this year for Thanksgiving so we are going to have a spiral ham, turkey, five sidedishes, rolls, pumpkin pie, and a banana bread. Its very scaled back because of the lack of people.

tina

Jean Marie
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'll be working.
I work the day after, rather the night after. Should be interesting, or not. EMS, style, that is.

nerds
11-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Okay, this is it. I wasn't planning to go home (New England) till end of February. Here we are, on November 21, in the midst of summer storms and tornadoes tonight. I'm in Tennessee as I write this, on the computer out of purest defiance.

I've spent one year in the wacko weather of the South. Those of who you do it all the time, you are, well, either nuts or the bravest and there is a fine line between the two. I've had it. No weather frightens me, no weather fazes me, except tornadoes in a town which does not believe in cellars. There is no place to go and no time to go there.

I'll research the rest of my WIP long distance, because, as the power flits in and out here and the night sky turns all kinds of green and the tv has our counties marked out in shocking pink, I have made my decision. This is about my zillionth time with this in only one year and I am done. Going home. And thankful, at Thanksgiving, for having the sense to just do it. Sometimes you just have enough of something. This is one of those times.

MonaLeigh
11-22-2007, 07:28 AM
We decided to mix things up a bit this year. I get sick of having turkey every Thanksgiving. Plus dh makes mini-turkey dinners throughout the year. This year we're having Chicken Catchatori in the crock-pot, grilled zucchini, lasagna and stuffed artichokes.

PattiTheWicked
11-22-2007, 08:13 AM
My friends all think I'm a total poop because I don't really see Thanksgiving as that big of a deal. I'm thankful all year long for the good things I have in my life, and to set aside one day to sit around being grateful seems a bit pointless.

Really, it's just one more excuse to go over to my mother in law's house and eat a buttload of food and watch football.

In other words, we get an extra Saturday in November.