Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
After much speculation, Amazon's kindle finally debuted today.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing and a short video that demonstates it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

What I like:

-Mobipocket format - it's my favorite e-book format, very easy to read. Mobi is available at most e-book retailers, so I'm not limited to one place to buy. I think, I'm not sure. I would think so.
-No backlight - uses e-Ink, like the Sony
-Blog RSS feeds, newspapers and magazines can be uploaded anywhere, anytime with the wireless connection, which like a cellphone can be gotten without looking for a wireless hotspot.
-You can also download books directly from the Amazon Kindle store. Books you buy from there are stored by Amazon, in case something happens to the reader you don't have to buy again
-Bookmarking and dictionary are included

Things I'm not crazy about:
-The price. If it were half that, I'd seriously consider it. I like e-books, but don't like reading them on my laptop all the time. I'd like a reasonably priced reader.
- The way the buttons are arranged. I have to hold it to be sure, but I think I'd get Nintendo thumb from it. Anyone here ever hold a live one? Is it comfortable?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I have yet to figure out WHY ebook readers are so expensive. I can get an iPod, a cell phone that does everything but wipe my behind and handheld video games for those prices, and yet all the ebook reader has to do is READ an ebook.

I've been looking for an ebook reader, but at these prices it'll be a bit of time before I make that investment. Sad, because for all those claims that ebooks are the future of the industry it seems that the industry can't create something affordable. And I don't know WHY.

:(

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I think the Sony and Kindle are expensive now because they have to make back the R&D money. Personally I think if they priced it more affordably they'd sell more and make it up in quantity.

I zoomed in on the product pics - and I will say the screen is really easy on the eyes. The e-paper is very nice.

There's also the wireless aspect to consider, I expect that adds to the price. Like the iPhone, maybe they'll see the light sooner rather than later, and I can get one for a reasonable price. The Sony PS3 just came down in price too, we'll see.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out WHY ebook readers are so expensive. I can get an iPod, a cell phone that does everything but wipe my behind and handheld video games for those prices, and yet all the ebook reader has to do is READ an ebook.

I've been looking for an ebook reader, but at these prices it'll be a bit of time before I make that investment. Sad, because for all those claims that ebooks are the future of the industry it seems that the industry can't create something affordable. And I don't know WHY.

No doubt some of it has to do with the economics of product design vs. mass production. A particular model cellphone is going to sell probably 100 times as many units as this thing.

Also, it's "traditional" for a brand new product to cost more, to extract the excess money out of the "leading/bleeding edge" consumers who have to have the latest gadget regardless of cost. I don't know how many people bought iPhones at $600 each or exactly when they dropped the price, but I recall the news blurb months ago that Apple sold over a millon of them. I'd be surprised if this thing sold anywhere near that many in the first year, but who knows.

I expect prices will go down substantially in the longterm (a year or two), especially if this becomes as popular as they hope, and competitors come out with similar products.

"I'll show you how to find and buy your favorite books, magazines, newspapers and blogs..." Does that mean they'll charge you to read a blog that's available for free on the Internet? It mentions Wikipedia, will they charge you to read that? A lot of people don't like reading Wikipedia for FREE...

I won't be getting such a reader - for one thing, much of my reading material is out-of-print books and other things not likely to be available in electronic form any time soon.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
No, they don't have any wireless charges to get your daily content. Blog RSS feeds and wikipedia are free. They even deliver the books you buy for free, so there's no 'shipping' or anything.

I guess for the periodicals you pay for the subscription and that's all.

I'm still looking at an ebookwise reader - for $139 it's a steal. And I can get all the books I want at Fictionwise and MyBookstore and More for less than $9.99, which is what Amazon's charging for 'Kindle' - which I believe is just Mobipocket.

You could always check Project Gutenberg for the public domain out of print stuff. It may be in e-format.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'm still looking at an ebookwise reader - for $139 it's a steal. And I can get all the books I want at Fictionwise and MyBookstore and More for less than $9.99, which is what Amazon's charging for 'Kindle' - which I believe is just Mobipocket.

I'm looking that way as well...

it's just mind-boggling at the idiotic marketing gurus who figure that we're going to pay more for an ebook reader than a iPhone or other techie toys... maybe being literate is just too much of a blight on the technical world for them to consider creating a cheap ebook reader?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The first commercially available DVD player cost over $10,000 and you can buy one for thirty bucks now. Less than 5 years ago, a plasma TV was at least 5 times as expensive as they are now. If this catches on at all, the price will drop.

I think it's a sign that a really good reader is almost here. If they could tweak the design to make it less angular, they could have a winner once the price comes down.

ETA: one killer feature would be the ability to flip pages by dragging a finger across the screen, mimicking how you turn pages in a paper book. I haven't researched ebook readers, I wonder if there already is one like that out there....

Last edited:

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather carry around a paperback. :)

It looks soooo ugly, like something straight out of 80s technology.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, what a little googling will turn up:

HP ebook prototype

Demo'd in Portugal last July, apparently. Scroll down to the video. It is a prototype, but this looks promising. Note the page flipping ability, I love it. Now, if you could add the sound of some nice crisp paper turning.... :)

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ooo, what a little googling will turn up:

HP ebook prototype

Demo'd in Portugal last July, apparently. Scroll down to the video. It is a prototype, but this looks promising. Note the page flipping ability, I love it. Now, if you could add the sound of some nice crisp paper turning.... :)

Cute and the page-flipping is gimmicky, but ultimately: too big (unless it can be folded -- it can't be that difficult to do a split screen/fold up device).

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Two words: NO HANDLES.

Seriously, if I'm going to be expected to curl up on a nice comfy couch with this thing for hours at a time, it needs to have some kind of ergonomic grip.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I'm looking that way as well...

it's just mind-boggling at the idiotic marketing gurus who figure that we're going to pay more for an ebook reader than a iPhone or other techie toys... maybe being literate is just too much of a blight on the technical world for them to consider creating a cheap ebook reader?

It's just different marketing model. First of all -- a large screen costs a lot of money -- hence the high price. Second -- the iPhone and the cell-phones sometimes expect to get some of the money from selling you services/content. Here -- this is only the reader. You're free to go to some other vendor for content and even download for free (piracy).

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score

Seriously, if I'm going to be expected to curl up on a nice comfy couch with this thing for hours at a time, it needs to have some kind of ergonomic grip.

And what does it smell like? I mean...for us book-sniffers.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cute and the page-flipping is gimmicky, but ultimately: too big (unless it can be folded -- it can't be that difficult to do a split screen/fold up device).
It is a prototype. A production unit is bound to be much more refined. I do agree that making it large enough to view two pages side by side makes it too big, but I like some of the thought they've put into the interface. Makes me think the unit they finally release could be interesting.

Well, paper books don't have handles. But, any e-reader should be as comfortable to hold as a paper book.

Last edited:

tammieofmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tammiemcelligott.blogspot.com
I agree ChunkyC an e-reader should be comfortable to hold. Okay so its a prototype still looks bad. And the price is a big turn off unless they come back in a month or two and give you a $100 back like i-phone - hee-hee just kidding.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree ChunkyC an e-reader should be comfortable to hold. Okay so its a prototype still looks bad. And the price is a big turn off unless they come back in a month or two and give you a $100 back like i-phone - hee-hee just kidding.
The prototype I was referring to was the HP Christine and I linked to in posts upthread. The Amazon Kindle is available. It definitely is too pricey, and despite having some interesting features, the looks are -- odd. It reminds me of the spaceships and gadgets on an old British TV series called Space: 1999.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Chalk one more up for the ebookwise. I'm waiting until after Thanksgiving to see if they go on sale. If not, there's someone who sells them on ebay, pretty regularly, for a few bucks cheaper.

Merry Christmas to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.