Time to be thankful ... for AW

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
As we take time this week to reflect on what we're thankful for, maybe we could share why we're thankful for AW.

I'm thankful for the truly special people I've gotten to meet and become friends with here. I'm thankful that I get a free education in writing, politics, poetry, culture, religion, what to do if you think you have a Brown Recluse spider in your house, and what to call "soda". I'm thankful that I never know what a day at AW is going to bring - whether it will be a challenge, a simple pleasure, or something that touches me deeply.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I can only ditto the OP, well said, nice thread.

:hat:

oh, and handy helpful sadistic hangover sympathies. These are important.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful for the amazing amount of information I can find here, from how to format a manuscript to how to install a new piece of software. For Silly Friday, 6 page threads with pics of beautiful men, for arguments, interesting politics, language theory, and commiseration on the crushing reality of the submission process. For 8-paragraph flounces with 7 pages of critiques afterward. For the friends I've found, the advice I've gotten, the new words I've learned, the correct spelling of words I thought I knew, the encouragement, the way people here take care of each other in spite of the fact that not that many of us have met outside the internet, and the buckets of tea I've snorted onto my monitor.

And for the mods *shameless (but earnest) brown-nosing* who ride this bull, keep us largely in line, and come up with great thread titles for spam. :D

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm thankful for the information I've found, and especially for those willingly offering up information. There is always someone here to cheer you up, make you laugh, kick you in the butt to motivate you, and offer chocolate, booze, and hugs when things get rough. I've made some great friends who understand what a writer's life is really like.

I'm thankful for finding a bunch of people who are as loony as I am, who love writing as much as I do, and who know everything from how to format a query to what to do if a baby finch falls out of its nest.

Mostly I'm thankful that I found my way here. :D

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful that there is a place to go when I don't feel like writing, where I can tell myself I'm still furthering my writing. Yeah Office Party, I'm talkin' to you.

6 page threads with pics of beautiful men,

Oh, and this one too.

Last edited:

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
...loonies worse than me in ORPCC...

To whom are you refering here, aunty? Is this how you really feel about us? I see how it is...

I'm thankful for:

~All the tips and suggestions for writing queries (Lord knows I need it!)
~All of the laughs I get from other members here. Some of you are hilarious!
~A place to post my work and the honest people who critique it. It's always good to get an unbiased opinion!
~A place to vent when rejections arrive.
~Updates on politics--since I don't watch TV this is the only place I hear about current events! Scary, huh?!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm thankful that this place has truly enriched my writing. And I've met some pretty nice people along the way too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I also would have never gotten back to poetry if it hadn't been for AW.

(big shout-outs to KTC, Trumancoyote, Poetinahat, NeuroFizz and Haskins - to just name a few of the people I consider mentors and guides).

and I'm not sure how I would have gotten through my second novel without AW.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful for Perks' new avatar. :D

Seriously, Jay you just read my mind this morning. I was writing to a very dear internet friend (on another writers' site) about "who'd have thought 10 years ago, that some of my best friends would be online buddies." You get some strange reactions from people sometimes if you admit that--but this morning I've been thinking of you people at AW and how much you've enriched my life...not just with the help with writing, but the personal support and friendship I've found here. Makes me want to send a super-cyber hug to you all!
4.gif

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh fine. There are a good few of you I'd like to bring home and keep as pets.

And I'm thankful that I've followed a chain of chance meetings, that started here at AW, to find mentors and friends and people who sort of get me.

Last edited:

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I'm thankful for discovering what all of AW has had to offer, and I'm thankful for allowing myself to use this help to further my love of writing, and expression. I'm also thankful to AW for providing us, with such a diverse range of people who I am fond of meeting everyday. :)

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
As an author, my life is isolated.
As a military wife, faces constantly revolve.
Goodbye is said much more than hello.
Living abroad these past seven years has been awesome, but now I find myself in a country where one doesn't simply go for a walkabout. Too much political strife.

Plug in laptop, click on icon...AW pops up.
And so do all my friends.

My life choices don't matter here, my religious beliefs aren't held against me, my views on politics...er....okay, stretching here...I discover new ways of thinking, more insight to the world around me, and an inner depth to those that have become more than just some avatar on a screen...

No matter if my knees are killing me, robbing me of a day outdoors, or my daughter's illness has taken a turn for the worse, I can laugh, advise, mentor, lurk, and debate with people from all over the world.

And very rarely, unlike the military life, do I have to say goodbye.

So, that is how I'm thankful for AW.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful for finding a wonderul family who I and my hubby consider real friends. Many thanks for all your prayers, help and being such fabulous peeps. Happy Thanksgiving! :e2grouphu

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful for Susie, Shwebb, III and Potatoinahat's warm fuzzies, Cel, Soccer Mom, Turkey, Soph, Meow, Monkey and Pance man's lolcats, Mac putting up with my naive argumets, Med's kindness, Mel, Rump and Gray Rose letting me be goofy, BrokenFingers, Haskins, Jean Marie, Thrills, Neuro and all the P&CE people making the news funner than Jon Stewart. Joe270 and celebrity ambergris. Delores, Dama, Max, and all those helping out with the USofGarcia bid to overthrow the man. Jess and Inked cuz I lurve you guys. The laughter and all the spit on the monitor at times when I wanted to smack myself in the head with a brick. The info and the insistence that none of us get hooked up with any predator types without going into it fully informed so we've no one to blame but ourselves if we get screwed. Uncle Jim for all the sageness, even though he may be indicted soon for attempted murder :p, Victoria and Cao Paux, because really, that's a hell of a lot of work, Quid, Fahim and Roger because my computer hasn't burst into flames yet, Shady, Az, Rose, Jess, Kiwi and SYW because my rejection rate isn't half as bad as last time. Brownies, lolcats, sarcastic wit, generosity, Kristie cuz she's too ghetto, Silverking cuz he's the nicest guy evah, Turkey for spanky smilies, and Stew, Sass, Janna, Jen, John Paton, Unique, Jud, Sun, Siddow, aadams, Stew, Nerds, JJ, KTC, jamie, jcd, ferret, Cass, Red, rob, Seun and all the people who are nice to the noob. Auntybug and PattiTheWicked for having excellent taste in men, and preyer for all the rep points from my sig. :D Just...freakin' almost everybody here.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I'm thankful for everyone who stops, reads, helps, cheers, cajoles, mends, laughs, spills, cites, finds, shows, shares, and cares.

So, it's a much shorter list than Voyager's, but...

--kidding, it's all of youse!

Last edited: