PDA

View Full Version : Tiling my kitchen counters

jst5150
11-19-2007, 03:00 AM
I just started a new project: I'm tiling my kitchen counters. We went round and round on how we would do it. Ultimately, we decided on blue tile. So, it's my latest project. I thought you might like to see the work in action. I'm posting the fun to a Google photo album. Here's a sample. Full album here (http://picasaweb.google.com/jasontudor/071117CounterTilingDay1):

http://lh6.google.com/jasontudor/R0DDIqY7GBI/AAAAAAAAACM/CbJ74jRDqhk/071117_counter_tile_d1-6.JPG?imgmax=800

dpaterso
11-19-2007, 03:05 AM
There's no more manly an occupation than tiling. Well OK, maybe lumberjacking.

Let's have some "draped seductively over the sink" poses.

-Derek

TrainofThought
11-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Nice. When youíre done, can you come to my place I need a handyman. :D Iíll pay ya.

Silver King
11-19-2007, 03:22 AM
Oooo, I like the back splash, so orderly and straight and clean looking. I'm not so sure about tiling the counter, though. Won't that be kinda bumpy? A smooth surface would seem more practical, at least to me, and I spend a whole lotta time in the kitchen prepin' and cookin' and cleanin' like a good little family man.

Rolling Thunder
11-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Nice job! Did you lift the sink and push the tiles under instead of doing butt cuts?

TrainofThought
11-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Are you putting the glue on or drying it?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jasontudor/071117CounterTilingDay1/photo#5134318150262396962

Haggis
11-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Did you check first for squirrels behind the drywall?

nerds
11-19-2007, 04:33 AM
I seriously read the thread title as Tilling the kitchen counters.

I thought, okay, just another sloppy guy trying to clean house a little.

KTC
11-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Nice. I like.

KTC
11-19-2007, 04:35 AM
I don't know about the licking part (?) but it's a bang up job...really pops.

nerds
11-19-2007, 04:36 AM
I forgot to say, It's beautiful. Very spiffy. :)

Carole
11-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Beautiful work! I've tiled miles of counter tops, but I rarely get to work with anything other than your basic 4" X 4" glazed white tile. Sometimes people will get gutsy and let me do a fancy border, though.

I love the blue. Are they Mexican tiles? They have that look.

jst5150
11-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Let's have some "draped seductively over the sink" poses.
The Playgirl photographer arrived late.

Nice. When youíre done, can you come to my place I need a handyman. :D Iíll pay ya.
Money flows to the tiler ... :-)

Oooo, I like the back splash, so orderly and straight and clean looking. I'm not so sure about tiling the counter, though. Won't that be kinda bumpy? A smooth surface would seem more practical, at least to me, and I spend a whole lotta time in the kitchen prepin' and cookin' and cleanin' like a good little family man.
I let Deedee know you like the backsplash. It came out a lot better than I thought, too. As to the bumpy, we debated a number of surfaces and we chose this. I still need to grout and seal it. And we have a large cutting board. :-)

Nice job! Did you lift the sink and push the tiles under instead of doing butt cuts?
I'm not quite to the sink yet, but, I haven;t read or seen anything about putting the tiles under it. More research on that to come. Seems like a great idea.

Are you putting the glue on or drying it?
That was more for my wife, but she didn't say anything about it. :-(

Did you check first for squirrels behind the drywall?
A new squirrel update in the morning ...

I don't know about the licking part (?) but it's a bang up job...really pops.
Friends 2, Wife 0.

I love the blue. Are they Mexican tiles? They have that look.
They're from Lowe's. :-) And they are nice; a nice finish to them. These are 2 x 2, I think. I'll usee 4 x 4 along the back.

Thanks all for the feedback. Here comes the reps ... :-)

Don Allen
11-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Looks good, don't forget to scuff up the old formica before laying your tiles, helps stick them better, especially in a wet place like a sink counter....

Carole
11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
They're from Lowe's. :-)
Lowe's sometimes carries Mexican tiles. :) It's the variegated coloring that makes me think "Mexican". But they're beautiful no matter where they were born!

Devil Ledbetter
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Your backsplash is identical to my master bathroom floor. :tongue

One of my sisters has the same little blue countertop tiles that you're using. It's a nice look.

I like the cupboard knobs.

Unique
11-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Excellent choice picking blue. :D

(yes, my counters are dark blue tile; I'm biased)

Windex and papertowel will be your new best friends. Contrary to popular advice, Windex did not bleach out the dark blue grout. Scratches are inevitable but really, no one notices but you.

I have never regretted my choice. I doubt you will either.

jst5150
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Nice compliments, everyone. Thank you. I love the morale boost to keep going tonight. :-) Aside from the backsplash, it's my first effort. I feel pretty good about it. Grout goes on tonight. :-)

I have to go give a squirrel update and bug people about the contest now.

Eskimo1990
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
That's really pretty. Makes me want a house to decorate! hehehe but not really. Good job!