PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a little advice?

Carole
11-19-2007, 01:55 AM
My older son had a very unusual thing happen at work recently. Today he walked out and we advised him to call the HR department bright & early Monday morning.

Friday, the assistant manager brought to his attention that they were missing numerous video games from their stock. He works at a BIG movie/game rental store. He had already noticed and was working on how to tell them that he knew who was stealing.

Another employee steals games on a pretty regular basis. Thursday, my son saw an employee from another store where you can sell games and they mentioned getting games often with his store's sticker on them. The guy stealing wasn't bright enough to remove the sticker, I guess. He told my son who was selling them and that sealed it.

He had seen this guy walking out with games many times, but didn't say anything because employees can take them home. He never knew if he was checking them out or just taking them, but he had his suspicions when those games wouldn't surface again.

So here's the problem. The assistant manager listened to my son's story when he explained everything. He agreed with him. Apparently this other guy was going to be fired until today.

Today when he went into work, the assistant manager told him, "Joe" is looking for you. He's rounding up his friends and they are on their way here to kick your a$$." He also implied that he told this guy where we live.

The assistant manager TOLD this other guy that my son told him about him taking games. Bear in mind that this guy isn't denying it. He's just supposedly looking for my son. He's not particularly tough, but he also has "gang-like" associations.

Well, hubby and I are very angry about the whole thing. First, the asst. manager was totally wrong in going to this guy and he seems to be egging him on. If he told him where we live, that is MAJOR bad juju.

What should my son do? Like I said, we advised him to call corporate HR first thing Monday morning. Any other ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Maryn
11-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Wow. It makes sense for him to make sure he's not alone out in public for a couple of weeks, if this loser thief actually has a gang.

After calling corporate HQ, he should also contact regional and the individual store's manager (if he's more a professional type than his right-hand man). It's also not a bad idea to notify the local cops that a threat has been made, by whom, and why, so that if the worst-case scenario happens, they'll know who to beat with rubber hoses. He should not withhold any info, including the store that knowingly resells stolen stock which told them they buy from the thief.

What an awful position to be in! Sometimes doing the moral thing is so hard. Hats off to your son for taking the high ground.

Maryn, outraged in your behalf

nerds
11-19-2007, 02:06 AM
What Maryn said. 100% ditto to that, and good luck. That's awful.

sunna
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
That's horrible.

I'll third Maryn's suggestions: the assistant manager's supervisors and corporate HR should be made aware of how badly he handled this, and the situation he's put your son in. It'd be grounds enough for dismissal where I work: and if he gave this guy your address knowing that he had less-than-savory plans, he could also be in some trouble with the police.

People are so dumbass sometimes. Kudos to your son for having the guts to say something.

Silver King
11-19-2007, 03:03 AM
It sounds as if the assistant manager is part of the theft ring. He may just be an incompetent jerk, but I find it highly suspicious that he would betray your son's trust and scare the boy out of a job. It sounds like he's trying to thwart your son's efforts to bring those thefts to light.

I would follow Maryn's sound advice above, and then I'd march into that store and confront both Joe and the assistant manager and tell them exactly what you've done, and warn them sternly not to come within a mile of your boy or your property. And if you have a camera phone handy, take a shot of their reaction and post it here so we can see the shocked look on their faces.

Don Allen
11-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Carole, I know this sounds a bit drastic, BUT, I would file a report with the police asap. Here's my reasoning, this has now turned into an ugly incident because of the idiocy of your son's boss, however a theft was definitly involved. If the employee caught stealing has indeed made threats of any kind it is incubant upon the manager to take responsibility. Since he obviously put your son at risk it is time to get a third party involved which would be the cops. Tell the police the whole story and let them deal with the boss, the kid who stole, and the managment of the company. A report also protects your son, because once they get involved no one is going to look for more trouble over a petty theft and it will look like the store got them involved anyway. I'm not shy about calling the police on gangbangers, or gangbanger wannabe's because they are all punks, and once they know you'll get tough with them they back down, besides you can't have your son running scared praying something won't happen. Just a thought for you.

The_Grand_Duchess
11-19-2007, 03:35 AM
I ditto Maryn's thoughts. Wow, the whole thing is so not cool.

Haggis
11-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Yup, yup and yup. Do what Maryn said.

Screw the job. Protect his health and his reputation.

Carole
11-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Wow. Thanks, guys. He's 20 and trying so very hard to be "not scared", but it's not like this guy is just some schoolyard bully. Of course we're in the middle of moving through all this. He said he walked out on the job because he was "over it", but I know he walked because the assistant manager CALLED the guy and handed the phone to my son. The thief-guy then told him that he and his friends were on their way to the store.

So I'm probably going to call the cops. My son is going to call the store manager and HR tomorrow morning.

Thank GOD we're moving!

Siddow
11-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Call a lawyer. I smell a settlement offer.

A. Hamilton
11-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Wow.
Silver King, above thread, made a point that should probably be followed up on-by suggesting the Asst. Mgr could actually be involved in the theft ring. With that risk, it's definitely a good idea for other management (and HR) to be made aware of the entire situation.

Good luck!

WVWriterGirl
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey, Carole, long-time, no write!

Anyway, on top of the other "bad stuff" everyone above me mentioned (and they give good advice), whatever involvement the assistant manager may or may not have had, he gave out your address to a third party, which is so illegal that's not even funny. That's a serious breach of confidentiality - if I called your son's store as a prospective future employer, they couldn't give out your address. This assistant manager gave your address to these thugs - not kosher. In any book.

ErylRavenwell
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
If the "thug" in question works in a store, he cannot be of the aggressive type. If he does something as stupid as attacking your son, you'll know where to direct the police to get to him. Empty threats I believe.