PDA

View Full Version : New Mirage Quarterly

Lel513
08-10-2004, 09:25 PM
I've started to send my work out to magazines and journals and have been using the Writers Market to find places. About two weeks ago I sent a story into New Mirage Quarterly(which I found in Writers Market) and was excited when today I got an acceptance letter saying they will publish my story. Then I read down to the bottem where it said I must purchase a copy of the issue and sign up for full membership in their group at a cost of $70. It also said that if I do not become a full member my story will not be published but may be submitted later for possible publication. Is this a scam? I don't trust a journal that makes a writer pay $70 to have their work appear and who replied so quickly. I think they accept anything that is sent to them as long as the writer pays them to have it published. Any thoughts on whether I should pay the money or forget it?

FM St George
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
sounds a whole lot fishy to me... what will you get paid if you shell out the $70?

I've seen listings like this before on WM and always steer clear of them myself... but that's me.

snarzler
08-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Money :money flows to the writer.

Say thanks, but no and request to withdraw your submission.

But thats just me.

Andrea :peace

James D Macdonald
08-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Have you ever actually seen or read a copy of "New Mirage Quarterly"?

<hR>

Writers don't pay to get published.

If a work is publishable by one, it's publishable by many.

Say "No Thanks" and move on.

aka eraser
08-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I'll echo the above advice and also suggest you write WM and complain. They should withdraw the listing.

Lel513
08-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to reply to them and refuse. I have also written an email to Writers Market complaining about the listing. Thanks.

maestrowork
08-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Run away!

DaveKuzminski
08-12-2004, 06:00 AM
LeI513, if you can send me a copy of their letter, I can use that for documentation at P&E.

CaoPaux
07-20-2005, 08:37 PM
http://newmirage.com/ Looks to be dead.

marsbar007
07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
$70.00 ! Can everyone send me $70.00? Within a year, I will be rich.
My brother told me when I was young, and wanting to be an Author.
Don't accept nothing unless they are paying you. I still live up to that.
If your words are that good, you don't pay them. At a music concert, the costumers pay. Not the band.

If you look on my site, you can have your whole book done for less then $400.00 You will get your books, and know it is done your way.
You might as well pay to have it done. By the time you pay to many of those $70.00 out. You could of had a book of your own.
http://www.marlenethornton.com

Susie
07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I agree with everyone. Never pay to have your work published. Definitely sounds like a scam. Should be New Mirage Quarterly.con!