PDA

View Full Version : March Goals

Arisa81
02-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone:
The monthly goals threads have been cooling down a bit in the past couple of months but I thought I would continue posting just in case anyone is still interested. :poke:

Here are my goals for the month of March:

* To write as much poetry as possible
* Find markets to submit said poetry to
* To write at least 4 good articles and submit
* To finish my non-fiction book (this will mean bumping up production, but I definitely want to finish it by the end of March)
* To figure out what I am doing about my poetry book. I started one and found it was to general that I couldn't focus. Then I came up with a new theme and still wasn't very into it so I'm taking a break to figure out what exactly I want from a poetry book.

Okay, guys, I know you have goals...let's get posting ;)

paprikapink
02-25-2005, 09:03 PM
March! OMG, how'd March get here already? I'm still trying to return phone messages from January.

If I could imagine March, my goals would be:

1. To write (at least) four essays.
2. To find markets for those essays.
3. To submit all four essays to markets (one being "Glimmer Train.") Oh, wait, they are all fiction. Make that three essays and one story.
4. Also to send out again anything I sent out in February that comes back.
5. To finish reading "Uncle Jim's" writing class and Julie Hood's organizing e-book, plus two other books on the craft, science, art, and/or business of writing.
6. To get a Macintosh computer, by hook or by crook!
7. To get up and running on said "new" computer.

And if my house could stay clean or at least tidy during all this, that'd be gravy.

-paprikapink

LRFarley
02-25-2005, 10:37 PM
My monthly goals are as always: to submit at least two short stories for publication, if possible, to paying venues. In January, I managed half a dozen subs, and was published twice, making $5 for one of the pieces.

I'm trying to get a piece together to sub to Analog magazine this month to make up my two for this month. Since it has to be snail-mailed, I'm taking extra time with it, so it might not make it till March. I have another piece that can be ready for sub by the end of this month to make up my second for February.

I've got half a dozen short stories to work on for the coming months, some of them subbed before and being reworked, and a couple of them new.

And I think that by the end of March, I'll going to be ready to jump into a new novel. Already got starts on three, so my goal is to start by April and finish by December.

I also have monthly crits in a couple of online groups that require some time to do, as well as to have stuff to give them to tear apart.

Bob/lrf

Rose
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I like this idea of putting monthly goals out there for the world to see.

Rose's Goals for March 2005

1. Send 25 queries with at least 8 going to markets that pay 35 cents/word or more (my ultimate goal is 100/month using Mridu Khullar's 5 queries/day method)

2. Write and submit the essay due to an academic publication

3. Begin research on an article due in May

Uncarved
02-26-2005, 11:20 PM
My Goals for March 2005

*Get two chapters in my new book, Georgia's Covered Bridges, completed and polished.
*Get the book proposal and sample chapter for new health book completed.
*Try to secure the contributing editor position I'm trying for
*Get ONE newspaper to take that damn column idea, lol

If I can get those done, I'm doing wonderful so I am stopping at just four;)

Melina
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey, Welcome, Tina and Pkpk! :welcome: It's great to see new people over here on our humble little board! You've both got some terriffic goals for the month of March--good luck, and remember, we'll be here to cheer you on!:Cheer: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :TheWave:

Melina

Melina
02-27-2005, 07:52 PM
My goals for the month of March are these:

* continue working toward making enough money from my writing to take my kids on that big vacation

* build my copywriting business, so I can quit regular job

* send out a query a week

Arisa81
02-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Good luck everyone ! :)
Don't forget to keep us updated on your progress throughout the month.
I can't wait to hear how well you're all doing :Thumbs:

Uncarved
03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
My Goals for March 2005

*Get two chapters in my new book, Georgia's Covered Bridges, completed and polished.

WHOOHOO, one day before March and I secured the Contributing Editor Position!!!!

paprikapink
03-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Bravo, Tina!! :hooray:

-pkpk

paprikapink
03-01-2005, 04:10 AM

Did this for the first time today. I imagine I'll get to do it again soon.

My daughter's best friend's mom, who is my friend, just offered to let me "borrow" her ibook indefinitely! She's using her work computer exclusively these days. See what happens when you write down your goals?

-pkpk

Lavinia
03-01-2005, 06:12 AM
My March Goals:

1. Write two chapters of "Dear Daddy"
2. Research query writing
3. Write and send three queries a week
4. Send out four new articles/essays for publication
5. Finish transcribing WWII letters

Lavinia

Arisa81
03-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Congrats Tina and paprikapink

Lavinia, welcome and good luck on your goals ! :D

Melina
03-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Way to go! Thanks for sharing the great news!
:hooray:

Melina

Melina
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Excellent deal! What a great way to start March! :snoopy:

Melina
03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi, there and :welcome: . Good luck on your goals, and be sure to let us know how it's going for you!

Melina

Jonathon Michaels
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone! Thought I'd add my goals for everyone to see too. It might guilt me into getting some of them done!

1) Write one column/rant each week for our website. (See the coffee reference in my sig)
2) Enter at least two short story contests as exercises/brainstorming sessions.
3) Continue work on a science-fiction novel I'm working on.
4) Finish the first draft of a short story for a spec-fic compilation of a twist on the Apocalypse. Begin revisions/edits as directed by the editor.
5) Start work on a possibly unique twist on a vampire story, to be co-authored with another ezine's publisher. (This is probably a 6-month to 1-year project but we want to get started.)
6) Start first draft of an expanded version of Rite of Passage. (Also in my sig - the story there will be the the intro)
7) Become active again in my critique group.
8) Write at least one short story from my "idea box"

That might be enough for one month. What I need is another project or two!:rolleyes:

Melina
03-01-2005, 02:09 PM
:welcome:

Wow-you've really got your work cut out for you! Good luck, and keep us posted!

Melina

Shiny_Penguin
03-01-2005, 08:25 PM
1) write my articles BEFORE I need to post them
2) get back on track with my novel
3) polish up short stories to send out

Uncarved
03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Great Goals!
Everyone check out my first six articles at The Flower Gardener, where I'm a new contributing editor. Any suggestions on how to improve it or what you'd like to see?? I'm starting a discussion board.

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Webs/flower-gardener/main.htm (javascript:ol('http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Webs/flower-gardener/main.htm');)

Hi everyone! Thought I'd add my goals for everyone to see too. It might guilt me into getting some of them done!

1) Write one column/rant each week for our website. (See the coffee reference in my sig)
4) Finish the first draft of a short story for a spec-fic compilation of a twist on the Apocalypse. Begin revisions/edits as directed by the editor.
5) Start work on a possibly unique twist on a vampire story, to be co-authored with another ezine's publisher. (This is probably a 6-month to 1-year project but we want to get started.)
6) Start first draft of an expanded version of Rite of Passage. (Also in my sig - the story there will be the the intro)

That might be enough for one month. What I need is another project or two!:rolleyes:

Lavinia
03-05-2005, 01:30 AM
My March Goals:

Lavinia

Sent out an article today. I have additional goals I'm working on for children's writing (posted on verlakay's site) and I've been chipping away at those this week. I've been working my tail off this morning. I think I'll go for a walk, do my exersizes and then buckle-down and work on query writing. Adios- Lavinia

Kudra
03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Great goals everyone! :Thumbs: Keep us posted on how they're going. I'm not listing any goals this month because I've been working like crazy for the past two, and I need a break! So, I'm taking it. :tongue

I will continue my regular routine of querying and book promotion of course. So you can hold me to that.

Lavinia
03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
My March Goals:

Lavinia

Results so far:
2. Done
3. Sent 1/12
4. Sent 2/4
5. Transcribed 1/29 letters that are left

I've read people's posts who send a query a day and now that I have a whopping one under my belt, I don't know how they do that. My goal of three a week seems terribly high now. I've transcribed over 400 pages of the WWII letters and only have 28 to go. I think I'll put that at the top of the list tomorrow. Some are handwritten and difficult to decifer at times. Others are typed and much easier but longer. Anyway - hope every one is making progress! Back to it- Lavinia

Arisa81
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm doing quite well also. I've been writing tons of poetry. I completed 2 articles. Progress on my non-fic book is coming along. Good Job Lavinia ! :Thumbs: WWII letters sound very interesting!

Poppy
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
March didn't start out the way I wanted. I'm just now getting over the flu. That definitely put a damper on things.

But I sent some ideas to Kalan yesterday, and I'm going to send some ideas to Schurman today. So I'm gradually getting back into the swing of things.

With all that's been happening lately, my only real goal for March is to just do what I can, when I can, and take it one day, one submission at a time. :)

Arisa81
03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Poppy,

Having the flu sucks, but I am glad you're getting better!
And good luck with your goals :)

Lavinia
03-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Arisa - I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to hear you're progressing with your goals. I'll be back later to report...that way it will look better...ha! Lavinia

PS I do best when I post progress often.

Wandering Sensei
03-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I try to keep my goals simple in the short term. Otherwise I get overwhelmed. Writing goals for March then are:

1. Get my notes and outline together and SCHEDULE regular times to work on my next book. (It really doesn't work to wait for it to find me.)
2. Get a bunch of agent queries written and sent for the already completed novel. At this point, what do I have to lose? Except some postage.

I also want to get some books read as research for the mystery series.

Other goals are:

Continue house purge/spring cleaning. I want to get stuff OUT of my house. I'd like to have some space to do something with. Aisles to significant places in the condo are just so last year.

Also SCHEDULE some time in for exercising/weight lifting/exercycling at home. Catch as catch can isn't working.

Stay on the food program and hope that I eventually start dropping some weight.

I think that's enough.

alanna
03-10-2005, 03:32 AM
My writing goals for this month:

-write one short story
-write ten more pages in novel i'm working on (i'm up to page 44! single spaced, that is)
-write 5 poems
-send out 3 submissions
-find markets for short stories
-"finish" editing Upstanding Citizen and send it out (short story in the Share your work forum for those of you wanting to read- under post "new" writer seeking feedback)
-write essay for and enter contest

so far, I've written one poem, edited Upstanding Citizen, although it needs a bit more work, and sent out 2 submissions. Yippee- a good start!

paprikapink
03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
1. To write (at least) four essays.[/color][/size][/font]
3. To submit all four essays to markets (one being "Glimmer Train.") Oh, wait, they are all fiction. Make that three essays and one story.
5. To finish reading "Uncle Jim's" writing class and Julie Hood's organizing e-book, plus two other books on the craft, science, art, and/or business of writing.

And if my house could stay clean or at least tidy during all this, that'd be gravy.

No gravy, that's for sure. Change #1 to "write four anythings" insteada four essays. I just accidentally wrote a children's story and where are these poems coming from? I have one thing that I got back (my euphemism for rejected) that I'm so sick of I just don't even want to send it around anymore. But I'd like to muster the nerve to send it to my local paper anyway. Somehow that is scarier than some editor in Chicago. Good think I checked back here; I'd forgotten that I want to send to Glimmer Train this month. Numbers 6 and 7, check check!! :banana:

And I have to add an item. 8. Check up on submitted pieces that editor has had two weeks longer than their stated likely hearback time. (I mentioned to my husband that this one essay is overdue for its rejection, thinking maybe they are actually considering it. He promptly says "It must be lost.")

-pkpk

Jonathon Michaels
03-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Well, let's see where I'm at:

1) On target - two down three to go.
3) Sent to a couple crit buddies to help with the next section beginning - alas, nothing written yet
4) Check on the first draft! Sent in 19.7K words for a 10K guideline, LOL. The editor said send first drafts as they are, over or not. Wrote back saying to leave it all in!! Beginning revisions...
5) Check! Spent hours in private chat room with my co-author. We had about five google windows apiece up doing research. Trying to create a new version with actual plausible reasons. (Well, except the whole undead-bloodsucking part, lol) Success! Doing outline for book now...
6) Outline begun, very rough first ideas sprouting. Harry Potter meets Johnny Torch! LOL

Alas, the rest remain untouched, or at least so much so as to warrant no mention. But it's looking good!

Arisa81
03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing well :)

Wandering Sensei: I need to spring clean too, just in time for a move, I am so excited. But tell me where to start !! I have boxed some books and other things. Actually over the months I have boxed a lot and still have a lot of things hanging around. I hate that! I would like to move into the house with only what we need and things we love. I guess I'll just have to take it on room at a time and clear things out (okay, I was doing that, but why is there always so much stuff?) :cry: I hate stuff!

paprikapink
03-10-2005, 10:26 PM
April,

For getting-rid-of-stuff inspiration, you could try signing up for flylady's encouraging messages at www.flylady.net. She also has a book out -- "Sink Reflections," by Marla Cilly. She's pretty preachy, and it's a lotta messages, but almost in spite of herself, she really hits the nail on the head as far as identifying why we have all that stuff and what we can do to get out from under it.

-paprikapink

Lavinia
03-11-2005, 05:47 AM
My March Goals:

Lavinia
1. Working on it
2. Done
3. Sent one (still can't see how y'all do it)
4. 3/4 Done
5. Ten down and 19 to go (of original 400+)

I am feelin' pretty darned good about all this. Going to a mini-workshop this weekend...so I worked ahead some... Lavinia

Arisa81
03-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Paprika, thanks for that :)

Lavinia, way to go ! :Thumbs:

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 02:01 AM
I try to keep my goals simple in the short term. Otherwise I get overwhelmed. Writing goals for March then are:

1. Get my notes and outline together and SCHEDULE regular times to work on my next book. (It really doesn't work to wait for it to find me.)
2. Get a bunch of agent queries written and sent for the already completed novel. At this point, what do I have to lose? Except some postage.

I also want to get some books read as research for the mystery series.

Other goals are:

Continue house purge/spring cleaning. I want to get stuff OUT of my house. I'd like to have some space to do something with. Aisles to significant places in the condo are just so last year.

Also SCHEDULE some time in for exercising/weight lifting/exercycling at home. Catch as catch can isn't working.

Stay on the food program and hope that I eventually start dropping some weight.

I think that's enough.

It's a week later. Still haven't moved forward much. I tried to give away some of my clothes on Freecycle, but the lady never picked them up. I'm thinking women's shelters, displaced homemakers, or something like that. I have some nice things that I realize I'm simply never going to wear again.

Some success with the food program. I busted my plateau and dropped three more pounds! I'm ten pounds down total so far.

Still haven't done much with the agent queries or WIP writing.

I've made a couple of my exercise goals. Reverse crunches are up to 50, a record.

I ordered a couple research books that will help with the mystery series. My MC works in forensics, but I'm not clear exactly what she does there.

Keeping on keeping on.

Lavinia
03-17-2005, 10:08 PM
My March Goals:

Lavinia
1. Not yet
2. Done
3. Sent one...may get rid of this goal.
4. Have sent 3
5. 20 or 29 (of original 400) done.

I started out the month gung-ho to work on Query writing but now my writing has taken an unexpected turn (for the better I hope). So I'm not going to send any more out. My goals for writing for children (not posted here) are going well. Lavinia

Lavinia
03-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Whoops - that should have said 20 of 29, not 20 or 29.

Lavinia

Torin
03-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Well, let's see:

1 -- finish the revision of my novel to send back to agent. Done.
2 -- send the revised novel back to the agent.
3 -- send out at least two queries a week for articles/fillers/greeting cards, etc.
On track with that so far
4 -- finish book 3 in the novel series.
5 -- start the rewrite of book 2 in novel series.
6 -- keep up story at Opendiary for my loyal readers there, bless them. More or less on track with that

Okay, so I'm not too badly off here so far. I finished the revision yesterday, sent out several queries this week and a couple last week for different things, and have written tiny snippets at Opendiary. Am about 1/3 of the way through book 3 in the series. I think I might actually get somewhere someday. :)

Arisa81
03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
My update:
I've already written and submitted 4 articles.
I am doing well with my greeting/poetry.
I am working to get that darned non-fiction book done. I might actually need an extra month to work on that, which is fine.

I have begun 3 more articles which only need editing and maybe additional ideas and will be ready for submission next week :)

paprikapink
03-20-2005, 03:42 AM
1. To write (at least) four essays.

-paprikapink

1. I have danced around a few louse ideas and written nothing. Just today I finally hit on something that I think will lead somewhere. No where near four essays though.
2. Invested in 2005 Writer's Market (I had 2003 WM and 2004 "Writer's Handbook" which I don't like nearly as well. Bought it by mistake last year.) Surely the right market for me lurks in there.
3. Lack of progress on 1 and 2 doesn't leave much left of 3.
4. Luckily (ha) one of the essays I sent in February just keeps coming back and back and back. I've reaccomplished this goal several times so far. Fabulous.

Oh, there's one essay that is over-due for its rejection. Earlier I added a goal that I would follow up on that one. I don't want to! Why would I go up to their door and knock again just to tell them they forgot to smack me down? Ah. Perhaps I need a "work on attitude" goal.

5. Reading away. Reading the Hood ebook is not as easy because I've accomplished 6 and 7 and that ebook is on my old computer.

New goal. My 10-year-old is writing poems. She wants me to find a market for her to submit to. :heart:

-pkpk

mistri
03-20-2005, 04:20 AM
I've already mentioned this in the 'I wrote today' thread, but my main goal in March was simply to finish my novel WIP - and I've just done it :)

Now I just have to edit the darn thing...

paprikapink
03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Mistri -- That is terrific! Congratulations!

:Clap:

-pkpk

Arisa81
03-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Way to go Mistri ! :)

Lavinia
03-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Goal revision for last week of March-

1. Finish transcribing WWII letters
2. Edit and send *Flamingo*
3. Edit and send *Turnip*
4. Brainstorm chapters for *Dear Daddy*
5. Research A.G. Bell

Lavinia
03-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Goal revision for last week of March-

1. Finish transcribing WWII letters
2. Edit and send *Flamingo*
3. Edit and send *Turnip*
4. Brainstorm chapters for *Dear Daddy*
5. Research A.G. Bell

2. Ten Timely Tips from a Turnip - DONE! Yahoo!

Since I'm the last one who posted and then posting again now, I feel rather like I'm talking to myself...oh well, wouldn't be the first time...Lavinia

Arisa81
03-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Way to go Lavinia !

Yesterday I wrote 8 fillers. Now to find the perfect places to send them. That should be a bit of a task hehe. Wish me luck !

Lavinia
03-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Luck! :Thumbs:

Eight fillers? Wow. I'd have a hard time doing that especially without having an idea where they were going. Do you have pretty good success that way? Gives me a headache just thinking about it. Lavinia

Poppy
03-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Maybe it'll be easier for me to break my goals down into weekly and daily goals. :)

Today, I will submit 10 ideas to Renaissance. I've already written them, I just need to look them over again, reread the guidelines and then submit. I will also write at least 10 ideas for Nouvelles Images.

Good luck with those fillers, April. :) Good luck to everyone else too. :)

Uncarved
03-25-2005, 07:52 PM
My Goals for March 2005

Winding down March and I got :
*Nothing done on the Georgia Covered Bridge book :(
*Got the proposal done, publishers interested, and four chapters completed on the health book :) :)
*Got the contributing editor position
*Nothing on the column front :(
BUT:
*Two articles sold and over 12 queries are out floating:)

May April Go Forth and Prosper.

Arisa81
03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, a couple of those fillers aren't exactly wonderful, but the ideas were there so I got them out. The hardest part is figuring out where to send them ! I go through spurts of creativity. Yesterday I only wrote one skimpy thing and the day before those 8 fillers I wrote nothin'! So it all evens out I suppose.

Oh, and yesterday I had a filler accepted (from Jan) and although this publication doesn't pay cash for fillers I will get a copy and byline so I'm quite happy. :)

Poppy
03-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Okay, don't laugh, but I'm just now getting around to buying the 2005 Writer's Market. I made sure to buy the Deluxe Edition (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1582972729/qid=1111940671/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7940533-9171835?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) so I can get the free one-year subscription to the online version as well. This should help me find more markets, and increase my chances of being accepted. My first goal after getting it will be to break even on the price ($32.99), but hopefully I'll make that much and then some.

Go me! :Clap:

Torin
03-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, let's see:

1 -- finish the revision of my novel to send back to agent. Done.
2 -- send the revised novel back to the agent.
3 -- send out at least two queries a week for articles/fillers/greeting cards, etc.
On track with that so far
4 -- finish book 3 in the novel series.
5 -- start the rewrite of book 2 in novel series.
6 -- keep up story at Opendiary for my loyal readers there, bless them. More or less on track with that
:)

Updating myself. :) Actually accomplished #2 and mailed the revised novel back to the agent. Sent out a couple queries last week, so still on track with #3. Totally off track with 4 and 5, and kind of iffy with 6. Gotta get my fingers in gear here.

Torin

Arisa81
03-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Torin, you're on the right track, keep pluggin away :)

Poppy, I've decided to buy the book only every other year. It costs about $45 dollars (plus tax) up here to buy it and heck we can't exactly afford that right now. Good luck with your sales, I am sure you'll do wonderfully !

Poppy
03-28-2005, 03:53 AM
I know what you mean, April. Even though it's a good investment, it can be a bit 'much' for those of us who are struggling financially. We just got our tax refund so I thought now would be a good time to make the investment. Up until now, I've been getting the most I can out of a used 2001 copy. Yes, it was definitely time for me to upgrade. Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Poppy
03-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Okay, I submitted some ideas to Nouvelles Images today as well as to Andrews McMeel. Neither have ever accepted any of my ideas in the past, but maybe, just maybe, this time will be different.

Cabria
03-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Good luck on that Poppy! Betcha this time will be different - you have a great sense of humour!

Debbie :Thumbs:

Poppy
03-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks, Debbie. :Hug2:

Cabria
03-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Oh, you're welcome Poppy....... :)

Susie
03-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Great goals! Hope you all achieve successes with them. I'm still trying to get my unrhymed love poetry book published. I had a press in Australia want it, but I had to wait until they made their money back before I'd see any profit (understandable), but they said it would take 4+ months, so I thought I shouldn't sign with them. I'm not sure if I made the right decision... It's very hard finding poetry publishers these days.

Warm regards, Susie:)

Arisa81
03-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Good luck with those submissions poppy !

Susie, I hope you find a publisher for your book. :)

My goals have gone quite well for this month although I didn't get too much work on my non-fiction book done. I will get back on that in April for sure

Poppy
03-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Good luck in April, April. :)

I need to buckle down in April. Having Writer's Market (which I haven't received yet) should help with that. It will give me plenty of markets and genres to work on. March was about taking it one day, one step at a time, and being kind and patient with myself while I got back into the swing of things. Spring is here now, and I feel renewed and ready for action.